Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2024 at 10:40 PM
Default Text missing in a rabbithole
Hello!

I play The Sims 3 in Spanish and I recently noticed that, when in the equestrian center there is a competition, one of the "texts" in equestrian center the pie menu is just blank (see image). I thought it could be because of a mod so I removed all mods and tried again... but no success, still blank. I tried in different games, in different "The Sims" folders (as in creating a brand new one)... no success. I guess it is an error in the Spanish version because my husband in the English version has all the texts just fine. Specifically is the one about attending to the competition with someone else.

I thought... maybe there is a way to create a mod for this... but (excuse my inexpert naivety) I don't find anywhere anything like "STBL" strings for those interactions in the rabbithole itself and I don't know where else to look for it. Any insight?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 25th Apr 2024 at 12:19 AM
Most strings are in master STBL in the installation folder(s).
I don't have Pets installed right now to confirm, but starting from the install location the path should be The Sims 3 Pets > GameData > Shared > Packages
The file there will be called FullBuild + [pack versioning number]. Copy that package to your desktop or a project folder, as the folder it's in has edit protection.

You might want to separate the STBL out from the rest first, by selecting them in S3PE and exporting to a new package.

Then open the new .package in Inge's STBL Editor- the search function will make it a bit easier than having to read through it all in S3PE.
Set the Source Lang to English, and the Target Lang to Spanish. In the search box, enter the text as it appears in the English version and click Find. You should hopefully come across the original and see that the Target side is blank.

If you do find it there, select it and press Target 1 by 'Copy Source string to', type the translation in the 'Edit target string' section, and click Commit.
File > Save when you're done. You can open it in S3PE afterwards and delete everything but the Strings_SPA resource- but the other unedited contents of the STBL itself need to stay.

If it's not there, it's possibly an issue with the translation key in the script itself. Let's hope not :p

Scribe of tutorials. Oracle of questions at NRaas. Blog staller at thecardinalsims. Feel free to @ me for input on any TS3/TS4 modding questions.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Apr 2024 at 4:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
Most strings are in master STBL in the installation folder(s).
I don't have Pets installed right now to confirm, but starting from the install location the path should be The Sims 3 Pets > GameData > Shared > Packages
The file there will be called FullBuild + [pack versioning number]. Copy that package to your desktop or a project folder, as the folder it's in has edit protection.

You might want to separate the STBL out from the rest first, by selecting them in S3PE and exporting to a new package.

Then open the new .package in Inge's STBL Editor- the search function will make it a bit easier than having to read through it all in S3PE.
Set the Source Lang to English, and the Target Lang to Spanish. In the search box, enter the text as it appears in the English version and click Find. You should hopefully come across the original and see that the Target side is blank.

If you do find it there, select it and press Target 1 by 'Copy Source string to', type the translation in the 'Edit target string' section, and click Commit.
File > Save when you're done. You can open it in S3PE afterwards and delete everything but the Strings_SPA resource- but the other unedited contents of the STBL itself need to stay.

If it's not there, it's possibly an issue with the translation key in the script itself. Let's hope not :p

Thank you very much for replying me. I tried to find those. However the only STBL resources I can find inside the 2 FullBuilds of that Expansion Pack do not include any of the text that is in the pie menu (it does not contain the text of such interactions). Any other idea?
Instructor
#4 Old 27th Apr 2024 at 1:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alohomoraplease
Any other idea?

Looks like it actually got merged into the base game strings, my bad!
It's in DeltaBuild0.package, in The Sims 3 > GameData > Shared > Packages .

Scribe of tutorials. Oracle of questions at NRaas. Blog staller at thecardinalsims. Feel free to @ me for input on any TS3/TS4 modding questions.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Apr 2024 at 10:58 AM
Looks like it actually got merged into the base game strings, my bad!
It's in DeltaBuild0.package, in The Sims 3 > GameData > Shared > Packages .

Thank you!! It is there indeed!! I was expecting to find individual STBL files for every venue or something, I guess that is why I didn't think they would be there. But they are. Thank you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Apr 2024 at 11:27 AM
Investigating this I am a bit shocked to realise that it was something done on purpose and I can not for the life of me understand why. In the English string it says "DNT" that according to other MTS threads means "Do not translate". In this thread someone says: "That's definitely it. I have checked out the STBLs, and in all the places where the English text contains DNT, the Swedish translators have heeded the instruction and left the corresponding Swedish phrase empty."

Why??? Why would they want to not translate it and leave blank interaction menus.
Instructor
#7 Old 27th Apr 2024 at 12:05 PM
For the types of things in that thread it at least makes sense, as hidden and debug things that players weren't supposed to access don't necessarily need time and effort put into translating when only the original developers were supposed to see them.

In this case, I would guess it was simply an oversight where this interaction was maybe going to be cut from the game or the DNT label was added accidentally.
Whatever EA's interface for translating looked like, it may have auto-filtered out anything with that tag so it was never noticed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Apr 2024 at 12:32 PM
For the types of things in that thread it at least makes sense, as hidden and debug things that players weren't supposed to access don't necessarily need time and effort put into translating when only the original developers were supposed to see them.

In this case, I would guess it was simply an oversight where this interaction was maybe going to be cut from the game or the DNT label was added accidentally.
Whatever EA's interface for translating looked like, it may have auto-filtered out anything with that tag so it was never noticed.

Thank you for your input! There is quite a lot of them in all the languages.

Anyway, another thing fixed. Thanks!