Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 9:34 AM
Default Arcology Neighbourhoods
Has anyone ever tried making neighbourhoods based on the Arcologies from Simcity 2000? For example, in Plymouth Arco and Darco, the terrains would be asphalt, while Forest and Launch Arco would be more lush. Dunno what we could do with the seasons and weather though. Maybe Plymouth would be mostly spring and summer, while Darco would have more inhospitable weather (and lots of vampires, werewolves, and witches, and maybe zombies if you're into that, but a strange lack of plantsims). It would probably also have a high probability of alien abductions. Launch would also have lots of aliens due to it being launched into space after a planetary exodus, but maybe fewer magic sims. Forest Arco would have an abundance of plantsims, and possibly good witches and Ecological Gurus, while Darco and Plymouth would have more scientists, and Launch would have mostly military and other technical sims, and possibly robots. And yes, Darco might have a LOT of robots, though I dunno if it would have any Bigfoots. Maybe Forest would.

Anyways, sorry for the rambling, but I would love to see some of your input on this idea. And yes, I'm old enough to have owned that game when it came out, and bought the big manual and SimCity Urban Renewal Kit (Lots of fun).
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 11:41 AM
I never liked the Arcologies in SimCity. They were fun exactly once, and then they were kind of boring. Sorry...

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 3:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SciBirg
I never liked the Arcologies in SimCity. They were fun exactly once, and then they were kind of boring. Sorry...

I see. Always thought they were kinda cool, and well... I might try making some arcology-based neighbourhoods. It does sound kinda fun. Besides... Forest and Launch Arco were both pretty.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 4:38 AM
By the time I started building arcologies, I had reached the edges of the map and the game had stopped being fun and it basically just became a process of replacing all of the residential zones with arcologies until no more people could fit in anywhere and there was nothing left to do.

But they were pretty cool the first time I built them.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 5:23 AM
I remember the arcologies. For some reason when you hit a certain year and you had enough of them they would start exploding.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 5:24 AM
Oh man, I wish I had played for long enough to see that happen!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 5:28 AM
I think one of the premade cities that comes with 2K has it all set up to happen. I broke the VM that I run it in so I can't check.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 5:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
I think one of the premade cities that comes with 2K has it all set up to happen. I broke the VM that I run it in so I can't check.

VM? What's that? Virtual Machine?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 5:32 AM
Yeah, virtual machine. Windows 98. I was trying to install something on it and now it's stuck in an infinite loop of rebooting.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
Field Researcher
#11 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 2:08 PM

You can buy SimCity 2000 on GOG, it runs in DOSBox so no Virtual Machine is needed.
https://www.gog.com/game/simcity_2000_special_edition

Re the thread of the subject:
There's this science dome from TS3 that has been converted to TS2 that kinda looks like one of those arcology buildings, although that would be for one lot only I guess. I think there's a larger NH deco version too?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 3:39 PM
I remember the arcologies. For some reason when you hit a certain year and you had enough of them they would start exploding.

Wasn't it launching into space?

Maybe that's me being optimistic?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#13 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 4:11 PM
Maybe they were launching into space. It just looked like the buildings exploding, though.

Scholar
#14 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 4:21 PM
Arcology...arcology...Took me a minute to remember them, but yes, I think it's a great idea.

I'm not sure I'd start the neighbourhood with them, but maybe add them as subhoods to an already overcrowded main hood, especially somewhere like Sedona or Strangetown. Then I'd let the heir remain in the main hood, if they wished, but as younger children grew up they'd have to choose or be assigned to an arcohood. Or perhaps the arcohoods would offer incentives like free housing, at least initially, so Sims would choose to move there and have a house rather than live in a cramped apartment.

I think Forest would have two springs, a summer and a fall; Launch might be perpetual summer in a desert environment (since that's what Sim aliens seem to favour); Darco would have two winters and two falls (or three winters and one fall); and Plymouth would have the regular four seasons. Pretty much what you said for careers and supernaturals, plus Plymouth would have a lot of oceanographers and fisherpersons.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 7:23 PM
I think Launch would have more of a lush summer with a short spring, since it shows a beautiful green rainforest and waterfall at the top level.
Theorist
#16 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 9:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Wasn't it launching into space?

Maybe that's me being optimistic?

Yeah they were launching into space. You get messages about it before and after it happens something "The exodus into space has begun/ended) but due to graphical limitations it looks like them exploding.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Jul 2018 at 7:57 AM