Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 5:52 PM
Default Want to build up a mod list and rule list for a 'Walking Dead' challenge...suggestions?
Hi, all. I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right area, but let's go. If there's a better place to post this, let me know and I'll move it.

I know the Apocalypse challenge already exists, but I'd like to make my own spin on it. So here's the start of a 'Walking Dead' challenge, named for the TV show.
I have two mods and one rule so far.
The first mod needed would be Pescado's Zombie Apocalypse Mod, found here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...p?topic=6720.50
Of course a zombie apocalypse mod is needed!

Second mod needed is Realistic Sickness by Avadon: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,8062.0.html
In a zombie apocalypse, it should be very hard for an ill Sim to return to full health, right?

And here's the rule I have: You must build up a camp.
Whether you start the camp yourself or you join a pre-existing camp, you must join one. Lone wolves are not recommended here, as if the Sim gets infected, they're screwed, but meanwhile if your Sim gets infected in a camp, you have other characters to play as.
The camp can either be situated in an abandoned building (must LOOK abandoned) or be simple tents out in the open air.

So what I'm asking you guys to do is to suggest other mods and rules for me to use. How would you want to play this challenge?
Please, all, help me build up this challenge
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 7:12 PM
You'd need to find some way to limit yourself other than money, since you'll want to actually give your households unrealistically large bank accounts, to accomodate the fact that they'll constantly (I would assume) be moving from one camp to another, which essentially means buying a new lot every few days (and even "abandoned" lots can be pretty expensive- take a look at my "abandoned" Armscor Warehouses lot to get an idea- it's properly abandoned and overgrown and apocalyptic, but it's still more than $400,000). Not worrying about money and adopting this approach to gameplay makes the nomadic approach of a postapocalyptic band of survivors more plausible, and if you think about it, in a postapocalyptic world, you could basically have all the money you ever wanted, for all the good it'd do you! You may just want to have a headcanon about how people can go about getting resources and supplies, and then allow yourself to cheat to give your Sims as much money as they need to move around.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Alchemist
#3 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 8:41 PM
"walking dead" seems to imply undead characters. besides zombies, vampires might also be considered as undead. maybe also other non-aging playable creatures.

from my understanding, all challenges/contests on this site need to have a scoring system. perhaps when all rules have been decided, there be corresponding points for following/breaking rules.
and possibly also points relating to the undead characters.
might also adapt scoring from other apocalypse challenges.
Theorist
#4 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 8:44 PM
A way to 'move' and yet not move would be to take the largest lot and divide it into 4 areas makin each one as it was separate so you can only go into the different areas at different times of day. Have each area house different things so you need to do whatever needs done before the alotted time runds out. This would work as a community lot too.

To divide the area you could use water to make a river, use hedges, walls, or fences....
Mad Poster
#5 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 8:54 PM
- Harder or unfun ways to gain skills, maybe? Sims should have no time for cooking (either through reading a book, or grill).
- Obviously at the time of the apocalypse sims should be concern about their survival and not making a living. so obviously you won't call a maid or other services (could be exceptions though, like adoption agency for storyline reasons "hey, I found this girl Clementine and should venture through my life) and even If you did they wouldn't arrive just to risk their lifes through the zombie roaming world.
- Completing a lifetime want and earning a living shouldn't be a thing (and don't pay bills, just have repoman take them since you'll repurchase think or If you can't afford, just thing of a scenario that the gaang couldn't obtain such an object out in the ghost town).
- No applying for jobs: have townies/survivers quit If they already are in one.
- If a fridge is out of supplies, players with seasons cannot reobtain the fridge or call delivery at the door step (must stock it with their own growth/fished produce), whilst non-Seasons players must run to a local shop (not downtown/district, as that would take dozen of miles) and be sure to not make any (social) contact with the zombies. If you cannot "afford" food from there, that means there is not (again, transactions and cashiers aren't a thing in a storyline perspective).
- No additional sims from CAS.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 2:15 AM
Sooner or later in the challenge you gotta kill your bestfriend with a dice roll.
If it lands on even numbers, the sim you are currently controlling dies. If it lands on odd numbers, their bestfriend dies.

Unlike the show, you don't have to pit them against each other (or you could, if that's your gameplay storyline)
it could be either from getting bit, shot, hunger, or disease.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 2:49 AM
When I've apocalypse hoods, I would always barricade the doors and windows. I would try to have plants on the roof (works more easily in sims 3), so the pixels could stay inside and the walkers couldn't get in.

If they had to go out on a supply run, I would role dice three times. The first time would determine whether someone dies on the run. The second time determined if they met another group, and third gave a choice of capturing the other person or fighting and the other one getting with the playable sim possibly being injured.

Simslice has indoor trees that always bear fruit. If you don't want your sims to starve, try to have one of these planted on the property as a last resot. Check out Plumpbob Keep for a lot of their mods would be helpful in case your sims find a place to try to restart society.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Field Researcher
#8 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 9:27 AM
You could introduce a board game element - set out your lots like the squares on a board game and use a dice to decide the group of survivor's progress. There could be a final destination - an island sub hood maybe, the dead cannot cross water - where your survivors can attempt to rebuild civilisation if they get that far.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 11:52 AM
You could also lock random doors (use dice maybe to determine which one) in the camped residential lot so that no one can enter, until they reach a mechanical (lockpicking) skill level to unlock the corresponding door that is with respective cost value ?

@kanzen though they can just autonomously get into fights, and thus you can just kill the sim that lose a brawl, since there's no mechanic in the game to have someone break the fight off. The Series wouldn't have drama & conflict If characters had maintained and established strong friendship/respect to one another.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 6:48 PM
Hey all, thanks for your suggestions in such short notice!

Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
"walking dead" seems to imply undead characters. besides zombies, vampires might also be considered as undead. maybe also other non-aging playable creatures.

While 'Walking Dead' does imply all undead characters, the vision I had did simply just include zombies, or walkers. Thanks for your input, though, perhaps I could find a way to work it into a separate challenge in the future?

Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
A way to 'move' and yet not move would be to take the largest lot and divide it into 4 areas makin each one as it was separate so you can only go into the different areas at different times of day.

While this is a solid, good idea, I find issues with its realism. I mean, the only reason you'd really leave a camp is if a herd of zombies walked through, or if you were driven out by some other force, right?
Surely in this scenario you'd want to get as far away as possible?

Quote: Originally posted by Aysarth
There could be a final destination - an island sub hood maybe, the dead cannot cross water - where your survivors can attempt to rebuild civilisation if they get that far.

You absolute bloody genius. This would be the goal, I guess? The challenge could possibly be to get to that island, but it doesn't end there; the challenge only ends once you have a stable economy and civilisation? Or perhaps the challenge ends when you end up with a successful generation of new sims? The possibilities are endless with your idea!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kanzen
Sooner or later in the challenge you gotta kill your bestfriend with a dice roll.
If it lands on even numbers, the sim you are currently controlling dies. If it lands on odd numbers, their bestfriend dies.
Unlike the show, you don't have to pit them against each other (or you could, if that's your gameplay storyline)
it could be either from getting bit, shot, hunger, or disease.

Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
If they had to go out on a supply run, I would role dice three times. The first time would determine whether someone dies on the run. The second time determined if they met another group, and third gave a choice of capturing the other person or fighting and the other one getting with the playable sim possibly being injured.

Aye up, here's a solid idea! We could complexify it, though. Use a wheel of fortune type thing -wheeldecide.com, maybe? Which can choose a specific sim to be killed off.
Also, roll a dice when it comes to pregnant sims? Roll it once for the fate of the baby - even numbers, it's a stillbirth, odd numbers, it survives - and then once again for the mother, even numbers being dying in childbirth and odd numbers being survival.
Could be DEVASTATING for the father/lover.
Risky Woo-Hoos should be the norm, but no 'Trying for Baby' until you reach the safe island, or a fortified place.