Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
#16651 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 2:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frenchyxo22
What's the difference between a butler and a maid?

20 Simoleons an hour.

(Oh...you meant functionally? Butlers cook, garden, repair your broken stuff, take care of your kids and answer the door (if you tell them to do that). Maids don't. A butler is essentially a maid, a gardener, a repairman and a nanny, all wrapped up in one service Sim. Hence, the higher wages. )
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#16652 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 2:54 PM
The butler is THE ultimate service NPC! He cooks, gardens, repairs, and takes care of your kids! He can answer the door, greet visitors, or tell them to piss off if your Sims don't feel like having guests! And best of all, he never complains!

<small>Butler may cost more than the average service Sim. Butler may start complaining if you don't pay him enough. Butler may be enemies with your Sims, please stay on his good side. Butler may have Romance aspiration and attempt to WooHoo with your wife. The SimCity Butlers Association is not responsible for any thefts of objects in households with a butler hired. The mouse probably took your golden watch, not our butlers. We promise.</small>
Mad Poster
#16653 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:22 PM
Also a butler will stay until the evening, cleaning up any new messes which occur, whereas a maid leaves when everything is clean. And they can serve food, but they don't always do this. They can also call the police, fire service or exterminator.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#16654 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 5:38 PM
I view butlers like nannies, but while the nannie will raid the fridge, the butler will make an unnecessary meal as everyone is going to school & work. The nanny will go swimming and leave the baby on the floor; the butler will stand around rather than do needed work. The nanny will never potty-train, the butler will RARELY do it. I often have to "influence" the butler to clean,etc. I wonder if a big tip, or sleeping with him, would encourage him?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Instructor
#16655 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 7:10 PM
Lol thanks for clearing that up guys, Maybe now I'll be more willing to use them :D

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Inventor
#16656 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 8:39 PM
...or you can bring a stay-at-home Bigfoot or Servo into the household and be done with it.

(Just bear in mind that a better robot builder with better Skills means a better Servo (and, conversely, a lousy creator means a lousy Servo). The Servo's random assortment of badges makes things interesting, though. Also, the Bigfoot has been known to smash things when his Needs go red and he gets angry. But every rose has its thorn, right?)
Top Secret Researcher
#16657 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pizzatron-9000
...or you can bring a stay-at-home Bigfoot or Servo into the household and be done with it.
Why Bigfoot? He's not programmed to do chores.
Mad Poster
#16658 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 9:10 PM
But he's controllable. As would be (what I did) a CAS nanny or maid designed to be a live-in servant. That's what I did. Everything I've heard about butlers makes them sound like more trouble than they're worth.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#16659 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
But he's controllable. As would be (what I did) a CAS nanny or maid designed to be a live-in servant. That's what I did. Everything I've heard about butlers makes them sound like more trouble than they're worth.
Why, Peni, abducting that poor creature away from his natural habitat to use him as a servant, I'm shocked
It seems like a bit of a waste, too, with all the skills and badges of Bigfoot. And all the sims are controllable, the bonus with the nanny/butler/servo is that you don't have to control them for the chores. Not criticizing anyone's way of playing, don't get me wrong! I had just never thought of Bigfoot like that.

(And butlers are great with Squinge's butler-no-cooking mod to prevent them from setting the house on fire all the time. I also fire the butler when the households has babies/toddlers because he keeps interrupting everyone, and hire him back once they're children.)
Inventor
#16660 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 9:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lili975
Why, Peni, abducting that poor creature away from his natural habitat to use him as a servant, I'm shocked

...and yet he's surprisingly masterful with computers and robot stations. Methinks there be more to this hairy woodland savage than meets the eye. I'm sure he'll be just fine.

It seems like a bit of a waste, too, with all the skills and badges of Bigfoot.

A waste? Who do you think's responsible for putting snapdragons in every room of the house, sewing new clothes for the family, catching fishies from the pond out back (and turning them into free, filling meals), cutting and styling the household's hair every so often, and bringing in a few more Simoleons by running a small roadside veggie stand on the side? The incredibly capable Amar Bigfoot, that's who!

And all the sims are controllable, the bonus with the nanny/butler/servo is that you don't have to control them for the chores. Not criticizing anyone's way of playing, don't get me wrong! I had just never thought of Bigfoot like that.

Well, if you're looking for a more autonomous servant, Servos are better than Bigfoots. Servos routinely queue an autonomous "Do Chores" action, which is exactly what it sounds like: They'll make the bed, wipe the kitchen counters and so on. They'll also cook meals if anyone in the household is hungry, and they have no Hygiene need (making them ideal for anything from baby care to repair work to Junk Car restoration to skunk removal). But don't ask a Servo to repair a leaky shower; they'll short out. Bad things can happen when a Servo shorts out.

But then again, if you have a Bigfoot, a robot bench, 3,000 Simoleons and a free day to work, then you have a Bigfoot and a Servo. Tag-team goodness ensues!

(And butlers are great with Squinge's butler-no-cooking mod to prevent them from setting the house on fire all the time. I also fire the butler when the households has babies/toddlers because he keeps interrupting everyone, and hire him back once they're children.)

But if the butler never sets the kitchen on fire, who's going to give my witches their Exflammo spell practice? :p
Top Secret Researcher
#16661 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pizzatron-9000
A waste? Who do you think's responsible for putting snapdragons in every room of the house, sewing new clothes for the family, catching fishies from the pond out back (and turning them into free, filling meals), cutting and styling the household's hair every so often, and bringing in a few more Simoleons by running a small roadside veggie stand on the side? The incredibly capable Amar Bigfoot, that's who!
With all skills mastered, Bigfoot can bring much more than a few Simoleons to the household. Snapdragons I use exclusively for productivity purposes, households where everyone is high on snapdragons are boring to me, with all sims having their fun and social needs permanently satisfied, they'll just wander aimlessly from the couch to.. that other couch over there. Don't your other sims want to try some of the Free Time hobbies themselves?

Anyway, following the answers to the person who asked about the butler/maid difference, my point was that I don't see how Bigfoot belongs to the category of sims that are programmed to clean/cook/do the gardening/... and so on. (You guys are free to exploit him as you see fit though )
Mad Poster
#16662 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
the butler will stand around rather than do needed work.

I seem to recall there being a glitch in unmodded games where the butler gets stuck, and that you need to get a fix for him to keep performing as intended.
Inventor
#16663 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 11:09 PM
With all skills mastered, Bigfoot can bring much more than a few Simoleons to the household. Snapdragons I use exclusively for productivity purposes, households where everyone is high on snapdragons are boring to me, with all sims having their fun and social needs permanently satisfied, they'll just wander aimlessly from the couch to.. that other couch over there. Don't your other sims want to try some of the Free Time hobbies themselves?

They do! Both the Mom and the Dad happen to be Arts and Crafts hobbyists, so they take their turns with the pottery wheel and the sewing machine as well. Bigfoot certainly doesn't object to the extra help.

Plus, most of their lot's outdoors, and they have five dogs, several fruit trees and a fishing pond. And snapdragons don't seem to be as useful outside. I should consider sticking a bouquet or two inside the kennel, though. Believe me, with all the dogs and wolves coming around their place, life at the Lupina house is anything but boring.

(Note to self: Expand Amar's business and branch out into snapdragon sales and pottery sales (even if that means direct competition with Viviana the vampire's two businesses). She's Downtown, he's in Bluewater Village...it'll work.)
Top Secret Researcher
#16664 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 12:15 AM
I think I've seen the answer to this question before, but I can't seem to remember it for some reason. Does SimPE work in Windows 8?
Inventor
#16665 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 1:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
I think I've seen the answer to this question before, but I can't seem to remember it for some reason. Does SimPE work in Windows 8?

I'm running SimPE under Windows 8, but SimPE runs slow and clunky. So does TS2. Plus, I'm plagued by all of these intrusive "Activate Windows" prompts, because apparently it's no longer fashionable for computer manufacturers to ship computers without nagware--and with Operating System copies that will work all the way until you have to reinstall them.

I've been trying to "downgrade" to Windows 7 (which I have a disk for), but Windows 8 is fighting me every step of the way. I'm sorely tempted to just say "Hell with Windows" and try my hand at Linux for the first time in my life. I wonder if TS2 and SimPE will run under Linux without any problems....
Lab Assistant
#16666 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 1:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
SimmingSince7, try http://www.modthesims.info/browse.php?tag=multi%20pt

Not all of them show up there--not sure why, this: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=71852 is the one I use in my more-or-less-modern game.

Very close, but still not it. The one I am looking for was different. The aliens all had very different faces from each other. Those all look the same, in my opinion. Perhaps there is a way I can just make my own.. Would anyone know about that?

I remember there being three.. One had a big pug nose and those weird circular cornrows. It was as though each alien was from a different planet, they were so diverse.. I'm not sure, but I THINK they might've even had different skin tones, too.
Mad Poster
#16667 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 2:29 AM
One of the things that annoys me with my high-money households is the inability to have more than one maid, more than one gardener, heck, even more than one butler! No self-respecting one-percenter would be willing to admit to only having a single maid! So, is there a way to trick the game into allowing you to hire more than one of each type of service Sim?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
#16668 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 4:43 AM
SimmingSince7, there are a few multi=pt mods out there, here and at Garden of Shadows for two. Myself, I've been saying for years I need to make my own because I want my aliens to look alien by gosh but I'm not readyt apoparently.
Mad Poster
#16669 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 5:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
I seem to recall there being a glitch in unmodded games where the butler gets stuck, and that you need to get a fix for him to keep performing as intended.

http://backalleysims.com/adultsite/...-Controller-Fix

All the multi PT hacks I've seen seem to have at least 4 PTs. Can you make one with only two?
Scholar
#16670 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 10:36 AM
I have a question... In one of the houses I built, it happened to spawn butterflies or fireflies inside the house.
I'm guessing this happens if I adjust the lot by shrinking the back of the lot?

C-A
Top Secret Researcher
#16671 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 12:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
I have a question... In one of the houses I built, it happened to spawn butterflies or fireflies inside the house.

C-A

Presumably, if you did that, that could be the likely cause.

If they're getting in the way of your walls or you just can't stand having butterflies inside a house (works for a conservatory, but otherwise impractical), you can place the Stuck Object Remover on them. Just place it on the butterflies (move any nearby furniture out of the way so it doesn't get zapped in the process), and then enter Live mode. The remover objects should self-detonate within a few seconds, and the butterflies (and anything else on the tiles they occupied) should be gone. And yes, they'll come back the next day, so don't worry if you fear lowering the Sim butterfly population to extinction.

Quote: Originally posted by Charity
http://backalleysims.com/adultsite/...-Controller-Fix

All the multi PT hacks I've seen seem to have at least 4 PTs. Can you make one with only two?

You can also try this fix, but it only seems to deal with cooking, which is the biggest issue with butlers.
Top Secret Researcher
#16672 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 3:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
In one of the houses I built, it happened to spawn butterflies or fireflies inside the house.
It happens to me only while building, the "social: catch butterflies" being spawned before that space is enclosed between walls.
I guess shrinking the lot might have confused the butterflies, but I would still check that the place where they appeared is considered to be enclosed and "inside": hold shift+alt and move the cursor over the floor, the last line will inform you ("Outside for Weather:" yes/no).
Instructor
#16673 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 7:20 PM
I know you can't throw a party on a normal community lot, or if even if you visit a community lot that's owned. But can you throw a party on an owned community lot if you're the owner?
Mad Poster
#16674 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 7:26 PM
Interesting question, you'd have to test it! I've never tried. I did have Dina and Malcolm Landgraab get married at his club, though, but I can't remember if I threw them a party. Probably not.

Random question from me - how did the Warwickshire challenge get its name, does anybody know? Only I am from the real Warwickshire and it's funny to see the name of the place popping up everywhere.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#16675 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 7:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity

I don't know about two, but if you search for fwiffo on this site, I think that's the creator who first came up with them, and that might be where to start looking.

I know I've seen some that have only one replacement, but I bet that uses a different piece of code.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Locked thread | Locked by: Delphy Reason: 1000 pages.... time to start a new one!
Page 667 of 1000