Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jan 2019 at 8:17 AM Last edited by Natpop : 27th Jan 2019 at 1:35 PM.
Default How did Mootilda build her "Rise Up" homes? I want to replicate the split levels with smaller foundations...
When I first found this tutorial by Shastakiss , I was so excited; this type of look is what I'd always dreamed of having for my sims houses! The foundations and stages that come with the game have always been too high for my liking. However, I was dismayed to find out that I couldn't do things like add a ground floor level that would be able to have a garage door or windows attached, like in this tutorial. The main use for this is adding garages, but you can also use it to add any other kind of room you want, to achieve a split level type home.

When I tried to follow that tutorial for a ~little deck~ house like in Shasta's tutorial, I couldn't get it to work because CFE did not seem to want to play nice with walls lower than foundation height. I could always compromise by having a room with steps leading down into it, but it would be forever in darkness with no windows to light it up and bring in daylight.

Years later, I discovered Mootilda's series of Rise Up homes, which appeared to achieve what I wanted; homes on small foundations but with garages (or other rooms) added on the ground level as well. She didn't include garage doors in these lots - presumably to make them base-game compatible - but they clearly have space for a garage and a garage door. I downloaded one of these homes to see if I could tinker with it, and this was the one I chose.

In the space where the garage door is supposed to go, I put windows instead, and made a funky little lounge room. I've put some pics under this spoiler, to demonstrate the kind of thing I want to achieve in future builds of my own (please excuse the lack of ceiling);

Under the next spoiler, I've put real life photos of examples of a similar thing; split level rooms with only a few steps, and that "sunken lounge" type of thing. I've always wanted to make stuff like this in the sims. I could do it with regular foundations, but those don't give the same look and feel, as they have too many steps!

I couldn't use CFE to change the location of the teeny short walls on Moo's lot, so I'm guessing she used some kind of program to edit the walls, possibly grid adjuster?? So, that finally brings me to the question in the title; does anyone know how she made these special lots??

My simblrIcon credit
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Jan 2019 at 11:51 AM
You can do 2 click high foundations with grid Adjuster.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 25th Jan 2019 at 12:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You can do 2 click high foundations with grid Adjuster.

Yes, she knows that- she links to tutorials showing that.

Quote: Originally posted by Natpop
I couldn't use CFE to change the location of the teeny short walls on Moo's lot, so I'm guessing she used some kind of program to edit the walls, possibly grid adjuster?? So, that finally brings me to the question in the title; does anyone know how she made these special lots??

She links to this thread from that download:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...836#post3579836
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 25th Jan 2019 at 12:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Natpop

Do you get an error whey trying to use CFE? Because you should be able to. I've always been able to adjust walls in game using CFE after using Grid Adjuster.
Theorist
#5 Old 25th Jan 2019 at 1:53 PM
Mootilda helped me figure out how to do an attached garage with a lowered foundation. I wrote up what finally worked for me in the comments of the Grid Adjuster thread. Hope that helps.

http://www.modthesims.info/download...25#startcomment

I can't believe that was nine years ago...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Jan 2019 at 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
Mootilda helped me figure out how to do an attached garage with a lowered foundation. I wrote up what finally worked for me in the comments of the Grid Adjuster thread. Hope that helps.

http://www.modthesims.info/download...25#startcomment

I can't believe that was nine years ago...

Thanks Honeywell!! I'll have a read of that and see if I can figure it out.

Yes, it's crazy how time flies...

My simblrIcon credit
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Jan 2019 at 10:57 PM Last edited by Natpop : 27th Jan 2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: grammar
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Do you get an error whey trying to use CFE? Because you should be able to. I've always been able to adjust walls in game using CFE after using Grid Adjuster.

I can adjust the walls, but the problem is that if the wall you're using as the example to level from is less than 4 clicks high (standard foundation height), then the wall you're trying to level AND the example wall will be forced to change their less than 4 clicks high height and become 4 clicks high instead. So, if the walls had been 2 clicks high, then after using CFE on them, they will suddenly turn into 4 clicks high walls. Moo mentioned this in the thread Honeywell linked to;

Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I have many many lots which have walls which are between 0 and 3 clicks and the game never forces them to 4 clicks unless I use CFE to level an area

Anyway, that doesn't matter anymore, because thanks to @Honeywell and her instructions, I managed to work it out and make a test house last night!! Thank you so much Honeywell, that was exactly the help I needed! :lovestruc :lovestruc :lovestruc

I found it easier to work with a fully formed house and then edit it with grid adjuster, but your instructions for building from scratch will be useful in the future to me too, I'm sure.

My simblrIcon credit