Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 11:27 PM
Default Missing stuff from Pets
OK, so far I like the Pets expansion pack but I'm not finding several things that you'd think would be essential.

#1 - How do you housebreak dogs? There are no fire hydrants like in "Unleashed". I planted lots of shrubs and trees and hopefully my dogs will be smart enough to know to crap around them but there doesn't seem to be an option to tell them to go here or there to relieve themselves. Maybe as I play longer it'll become apparent.

#2 - I hate those open litter boxes for cats. Where are the hooded ones? They had those in "Unleashed".

#3 - No hunting for cats? Bah. Cats have to be able to hunt things. Although I dispised those little white mice in "Un..." (I think you know the name by now) at least the cats could learn a skill on their own, curb their hunger and entertain themselves.

#4 - Where is the wash basin you are supposed to bathe your pooches in? The movie they showed at the con had sims outside washing their dogs in these cool wash basins. Did they scrubbed those from the final release? Are you just supposed to use a regular old bathtub now?

#5 - What's with raising the cost of a cup of coffee from the already ridiculous $15 a cup to $20 in Pets? Sheesh. I think Maxis is in league with Starbucks now.
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 11:32 PM
1. Whenever your pooch pees outside, the option for "Praise for peeing outside" should come up. If your dog pees inside, the option for "Scold for peeing inside" should come up. By using these options, your pooch will learn the appropirate behavior (ie peeing outside is good, peeing inside is bad).

2. You can also teach your cats to use the toilet, thus making litter boxes obsolete.

3. I dont know what to say for this one... I guess they just decided not to include it this time around.

4. The wash basin in the Pets trailers could have been purely for advertisement. In-game, any bathtub will do if you want to wash your pets.

5. Again, I have no idea why they would raise the cost.

Formerly known as boolPropped
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 11:34 PM
Cats using a human toilet? LOL

That's something I have to see. Wish I could teach my real cat to do that.

Or do you mean teach them to go outside in the yard?

How do you train them to use a toilet? Do they ever fall in? That would be hilarious.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 11:50 PM
I honestly think Starbucks could get away with charging that much for a cup of coffe. Though I would curb my addiction to their coffee if it ever came to that, $20 per cup in Sims might be a horrid sign of things to come :O

Teaching cats to use the pooper is in the commands. I havent tried it yet because Im to lazy to put a non custom toliet in my house. I would love to see them fall in then freak out because they are wet. Muahaha

Dead Metal Simming: -Gothic Lovin!
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 9:19 AM
#1 - How do you housebreak dogs?
~~~ If they pee outside you can praise them for it. Likewise, if you catch them peeing indoors you can scold them for it. When the behaviour is learned, they should automatically go outside to 'toilet'. You can also do this for other things such as eating pet/human food, sitting on objects/staying in pet bed.. etc.

#2 - I hate those open litter boxes for cats. Where are the hooded ones?
~~~ You've seen how big the kennels are. Can you imagine how big the hooded litter trays would be?

#3 - No hunting for cats?
~~~ Well these are domesticated cats. Seeing as there has always been little in the way of things to do outdoors, I guess they decided not to include it.

#4 - Where is the wash basin you are supposed to bathe your pooches in?
~~~ I believe the one on the Pets videos pre-release was an original Maxis bathtub. You can bathe your dogs in any Maxis bathtub, but not custom ones as they don't have the same interactions.

#5 - What's with raising the cost of a cup of coffee from the already ridiculous $15 a cup to $20 in Pets?
~~~ At least they're not raising the price of the game, huh? I don't think money ingame is that much of an issue. Coffee - $20, Water - free :P
Scholar
#6 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 9:58 AM
how the heck do you train you cat in the sims taht is ..to use the toilet?

check out my uploads here updated May 15, 2008
#7 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 10:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dragon_tfm
how the heck do you train you cat in the sims taht is ..to use the toilet?

Click on the cat "teach command... use toilet".
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#8 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 10:22 AM
1) Has anyone else noticed that dogs have a favourite pee spot? My collie always goes out on the big willow in the backyard and my mutt trots his butt across the street to the very furthest corner.
2) Give modders some time for a new SimPE and you'll see them.
3) Cats (especially kittens, it seems) will find little bugs in your house and swipe at them and catch them and stuff. They do it autonomously, and it's very cute.
5) Simflation?

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 10:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
1) Has anyone else noticed that dogs have a favourite pee spot? My collie always goes out on the big willow in the backyard and my mutt trots his butt across the street to the very furthest corner.

Before I trained him, always next to the tv; after the training... well... near the front door... (my dog never goes outside, only when he has to pee and to run after the mailman (this is the only person he runs after)). Guess he doesn't like to be outside!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 1:45 PM
I have a puppy that pees in the same spot in the kitchen all the time. So when his bladder is full i know exactly where to go to scold him .
Field Researcher
#11 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 8:45 PM
The toilet-using command is just too funny. Watching sims train them is just hilarious. After you train it the cat will go use the toilet rather than the litter box. Too funny. XD

Lilaviel: the avid downloader

"Life Drawing: An Excuse to See Naked People"