Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 5:29 AM
Default Spoiler - Keeping your pets fed.
I had a very interesting experience while playing with 6 dogs.

I will tell my story with a bit of a spoiler at the end.

One of my first dogs was a nasty little blue sheepdog. I used him for breeding until I got fed up with his behavoir. So I sold him to an NPC. To my surprise he return to the home as a stray. So, I brought him back in from the street {adopt}. He continued to cause problems so I sold him again. A day later he reappeared. With a little effort, I was able to adopt him again. Well. . .

In the midst of a birthday party/fire {yes, while blowing out the candles}, Mr. evil pooch ran away from home. {guess he couldn't take the heat }

I reported him missing, and a couple of days later he was found by an NPC. When he returned home he was depleted of all of his needs. He refused to eat no matter how I tried {yes, even the controlpets cheat}. I expected him to die, but instead...

A police officer arrived and took away ALL 6 of my dogs. What a tragedy! I love my other (Leading Actor) pups. . . Needless to say, I didn't save the game. So, please remember: Keep your pets fed.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 5:35 AM
6 letters - RSPCSA

Royal Society For The Prevention of Cruelty to Simulated Animals.

If only PETA knew about this...
Forum Resident
#3 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 7:26 AM
Yeah ... the police have come to one of my sim lots many times because my pets were starving ... XD ...

If there is only one pet, it is quite easy to take care the pet.
However, when there are more than one pets, it becomes harder.
The food runs out much faster, and ... you know ... (the police will be "visiting" quite often too).
I just use the teleport hack to "move in" my pets again.

Btw, hopefully someone will come out with a hack that pet food will NEVER, EVER run out. :D

Live for today, learn from yesterday, and dream of tomorrow.
A being under construction -- Even so, come.
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 7:29 AM
I want a no social worker hack for my pets ;p

I haven't had any taken away but damn they're worse than babies
retired moderator
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 7:54 AM
Seriously? Ive had no trouble at all with mine - I have one household right now with 3 Sims and 7 pets. To me, they are sooooo easy to take care of. Unlike babies/toddlers you dont have to put them in their bed or change diapers and whatnot. Its been a breeze for me :D

Formerly known as boolPropped
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 8:23 AM
Babies are easier for me. It's just the training - but I have a single sim household so between working and trying to train pets she's grumpy.
Instructor
#7 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 8:34 AM
I've bought pets just friday but I don't have time to play with it yet ( :cry : ) however, I've read the instruction... it was said there that if the "pet social worker" comes, it would have taken ALL your pets away...
#8 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 9:08 AM
Ah jeez, I agree on the part where they're like babies... my sims seem to have no life now that they have Pets... probably my fault for the tons of kittens :P

I gotta admit I love my cheats/hacks, my pets never go hungry *thankfully*!
Scholar
#9 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 10:04 AM
im surprised they take all your pets away i dont thingk even real pet social workers take all your pets away unless its a sever problem and all are being very neglected(or atleast thats how i see it on animal cops ...hehe) but anywho thx for the heads up ...i already have no less that 2 bowls of food full for 2 pets and ive been fine with 2 bowls for 3 so far ...knock on wood =p

check out my uploads here updated May 15, 2008
Test Subject
#10 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 10:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KKai

Btw, hopefully someone will come out with a hack that pet food will NEVER, EVER run out. :D

LMAO

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=197501
#11 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 11:06 AM
So pets cannot die of stravation. Other then old age what can they die of?
Test Subject
#12 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 11:07 AM
Heh I haven't had the police to take away any animals yet, but I did forget to feed the parrot and well um.....http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b...dparrotoops.png

Oops. O_o

*~* To See a World In a Grain Of Sand, And a Heaven in a Wildflower, Hold Infinity in the Palm of Your Hand, And Eternity in an Hour...*~*

Come Join The Fun at SSU
Test Subject
#13 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 1:09 PM
Cats and dogs can't die of anything except old age - they're like toddlers.

"Sanity is not statistical"
George Orwell, 1984
#14 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 1:52 PM
Is it just me or do the birds die SO quickly?
#15 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 5:54 PM
Lots of foodbowls.

Lots, and lots of foodbowls.
#16 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 6:14 PM
i had my pets taken away once. i had the doors locked to pets, because i was sick of strays coming into the house and destroying furniture. unfortunately, i left the bowls of food outside, not realizing that locking the doors would keep them from going out. once any sim, pet or sim, gets extremely tired and extremely hungry there's no way to save them without a cheat.
#17 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 6:18 PM
I guess I have been lucky so far. OK, I only have one dog so far, but I haven't had any problems with her whatsoever besides not being able to scold her for not going to the bathroom outside. I only had to train her on a couple of things and she learned them quickly. She's working now and has been promoted twice already. I'm gonna adopt a male dog next and try to start breeding.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 11:25 PM
Urrg, the pets are really stupid when it comes to eating. I got a pop up message saying that the pet needed to be fed so I make the sim go over and fill the dish. meanwhile the dog decided to chew on her bone. She refused to stop. I finally had to do an interaction with her then cancel it so she would eat... but she didn't she just stood in front of the food dish wining. I bought another dish thinking maybe that was the problem but NOOO she still wouldn't eat. Finally she, and the other 2 pets in the house, were taken by the social worker.
#19 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 11:32 PM
cats? easy. Dogs? a little tougher. a bunch of animals and a toddler? hell on earth.
#21 Old 24th Oct 2006 at 6:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by moonluck9
Urrg, the pets are really stupid when it comes to eating. I got a pop up message saying that the pet needed to be fed so I make the sim go over and fill the dish. meanwhile the dog decided to chew on her bone. She refused to stop. I finally had to do an interaction with her then cancel it so she would eat... but she didn't she just stood in front of the food dish wining. I bought another dish thinking maybe that was the problem but NOOO she still wouldn't eat. Finally she, and the other 2 pets in the house, were taken by the social worker.

Here's a couple of tips to get the dogs to eat:
(these worked for me) and a slight variation from Pookah's suggestion.

First just to keep them from getting taken away, feed them sim food, they will eat that. Make hamburgers and put on plate on the floor close to the dog.
(you can unlearn that behavior later)

Next, teach the command Come Here. Then when they are hungry again use the "call to eat". Don't put the bowl by a wall, even if you have the arrow pointed the right way. (For some reason whey my sims fill the bowl, the pet bowl direction get's changed)

Then when they eat Pet Food, praise them for it. (this is where I do it different from Pookah)

This is what I had to do with the "strays" that were in the bin.

Hope that helps

-mop