Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Oct 2006 at 11:21 PM
Default Werewolves and Custom Skins
Hey

I haven't got Pets yet . Because I live in the great country of Australia. Which I dearly love, but it's driving me mad. So anyway, I have default Custom Skins for my Sims (by Enayla *I love them*), and I heard somewhere that Custom Skins can interfere with Sims becoming/being werewolves. Is this true? Because I truly despise Maxis skins. So please put me out of my misery .....

Also, if anyone might know of a place that has any Pets games available in Australia, PLEASE let me know .....
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 4:27 AM
Apparently if your sim uses a custom skin, he can become a werewolf but will not become furry because this 'skin' is linked to the Maxis default tones only. I don't know about replacement defaults.
I don't see why they couldn't just do an overlay texture like with the vampires, honestly.

The upside to being in Australia is that all the essential hacks have been updated before you're able to buy. :}
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 7:32 AM
Aww I love my customs! No fair . Hopefully someone will find a way around it ... arghh .

Your right about the hacks being updated, when I heard that InSimenator, the Triplets and Quads hacks and that weren't working I almost fainted, they are absolute essentials in my game. But it's still so hard to sit and see all the awesome stuff everyone else gets to do ..... . On the upside only 5 more days!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 11:07 AM
Craps. That makes me unhappy as I'd say 80% of of my sims are custom colors- esp the ones that I wanted to turn into werewolves( wolfsbane and beast from the X-Men.)....

That sucks. I mean I can still make the two of them werewolfs but it won't be the same.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 12:03 PM
I know .... ALL of my Sims have customs ....
Test Subject
#6 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 12:30 PM
Hmm... I'm going to try to see if it's the same thing with default replacements! Sometimes I think the maxis team does these things just to provoke... grrr...
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#7 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 12:52 PM
Default replacement skintones should work fine for werewolfism - your sim will just look like a Maxis werewolf. I have default replacement werewolf skintone stuff exported (there are four regular tones with very little variation from lightest to darkest, and then you can REALLY tell on the alien - fingertips, cheeks, and other areas are tinted green). Just don't have any textures to put in it, and this custom thing not working is a little distressing.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 1:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zii
The upside to being in Australia is that all the essential hacks have been updated before you're able to buy. :}

Yunno, I'm in Australia and I was intending to hold out until the inSim and inTeen were updated for Pets before buying it but it's getting so hard! *chews nails* Kittens and puppies are SO CUTE!
Alchemist
#9 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 2:04 PM
Do we know for sure...?

I am going to make a sim today and move him into Strangetown and try to get him bitten by a werewolf. If this is true, I'm going to be majorly p***ed :P

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 2:12 PM
Yes, I had a guy get bitten and he had a custom skintone. His wife had a default and it worked fine but all the other custom skins are a no go on the furry aspect. Which is fine to me, I don't really like how the werewolf looks.

Struck by the fears that have chased me since childhood. I stumbled, crawled and learned to walk again.
Alchemist
#11 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 2:14 PM
Hmmm...do you have any default replacements..? I wonder what happens with those.

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 2:16 PM
I do have default replacements and they work fine. So far it's just custom skintones. The one I had on my guy, pixie gold, didn't go to furry. Although you got the hair and all the animations to go along with it.

Struck by the fears that have chased me since childhood. I stumbled, crawled and learned to walk again.
Alchemist
#13 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 2:20 PM
I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Why Maxis didn't make it like the previous ones is beyond me (like vampires and zombies mainly)

Field Researcher
#14 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 2:42 PM
Well, theoretically, could one figure out how to link their custom skins to one of the Maxis werewolf skins, or to a new custom werewolf skin?
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 4:14 PM
Once we get the new SimPE yes, or you could theortically clone the maxis and put the custom over it. I'm not sure that would work but it might. I might try it out!

Ghamina, they did it to make us work harder. It's just like custom sofas, beds etc.

Test Subject
#16 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 10:00 PM
Glad to hear default replacements work since that's what I mostly use. The sims I have that use non-default custom skins aren't ones I'd like to be werewolves anyway.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 11:33 PM
Thank you guys so much! At least my defaults will work. That makes me feel a little better .....
Alchemist
#18 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Hafise25

Ghamina, they did it to make us work harder. It's just like custom sofas, beds etc.

Maybe they did it because so many people have been posting how much they hate Maxis skins so this way, we either use them, or no furry werewolves Thank god for replacements

#19 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghanima Atreides
Maybe they did it because so many people have been posting how much they hate Maxis skins so this way, we either use them, or no furry werewolves Thank god for replacements

Maybe it's so that a black person who becomes a werewolf won't suddanly have his skintone underneath go to the lightest under the fur? Vampires, they're all deathly white, so it doesn't matter, but werewolfs, if the idea is taht you just grow fur,the skin underneath wouldn't change pigment.
Alchemist
#20 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 12:06 AM
I still think they could've made one generic furry skintone that would've worked for all. After all, a wolf's coat is meant to be rather thick, so you don't get to see their skin too much...but I think you could be right about it. This system makes sense to Maxis because technically they're more interested in making *their* content work and not ours...

#21 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghanima Atreides
I still think they could've made one generic furry skintone that would've worked for all. After all, a wolf's coat is meant to be rather thick, so you don't get to see their skin too much...but I think you could be right about it. This system makes sense to Maxis because technically they're more interested in making *their* content work and not ours...

Well, I doubt Maxis has the time to go through and make sure all custom content will work with everything they make. They're on a tight scheedule usually, and it would really be going over and above for them to take that into consideration. Maybe it's a bug, maybe it was time constraints, who knows?

I personally don't mind, I use Maxis skins, though I"ve been considering using a default replacement.
Test Subject
#22 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 8:48 PM
this sucks i love my custom skins.

I was also wondering does the color of the fur change with the base skin color? like the lightest skin gets white fur and a black person black fur?
#23 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 8:51 PM
Akuma-sama ~
I think, from a screenshot I saw before release, the fur is brown so I'm assuming that it is one colour.

StaceyV10389 ~
Unfortunately, I don't think its likely to find a copy in Australia until past the release date. There must be a reason for later release, such as the date they are shipping or something.
#24 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 9:42 PM
This is actually handy for story tellers and movie makers, though, this way, we can use one of the vastly superior "furry" skins like those from Genensims, but still have the interactions and abilities, but for the regular player? It sucks majorly.

But, assuming someone can unlock the werewolf skins, it may be possible to rig up a sort of ol' timey werewolf through clothing and face paint, but I haven't seen the werewolf hair yet so I can't really comment on that.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 9:58 PM
Yes, there are issues with the WereWolves and custom skins. I have skins I made myself (They're slight variations of the Maxian defalt skins) and my one sim, Daniel, just runs around with a different hairdo at night. It makes him happy, so I can't complain, but it's funny when he starts talking about having too muchhair... or the hair.. and his hair is shorter then before...
Page 1 of 2