Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 3:16 AM Last edited by starkofgenius : 24th Oct 2017 at 6:13 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Opportunity disappearing after travel
Hello, good people of the MTS family. I've recently encountered a problem which seems to have affected some people in different degrees, but have yet to find any kind of post anywhere on the web that tells me if it's an EA glitch with WA that was never fixed/patched or simply doesn't affect everyone, or if it's possibly caused by one of my many mods (if necessary I'll list them out, but they're mostly CC like hair, skin, clothes, patterns, objects, except for a few sliders and several of NRaas mods, support for which I've received directly from the folks back at their base keeping those mods running - aside from NRaas, I don't believe I have any other 'script' mods installed). I'm hoping someone here will be able to give me a more definitive answer, even if I'm not holding out said hope for a solution.

The glitch I want to ask about is the following: a career opportunity that requires travelling disappears when I travel to the destination.
My Sim in the Law Enforcement career got an opp called Improving Disguises, and the goals to complete it are: travel to China, meet 4 locals, report back at work. But it's impossible for me to do so because when he arrives in China, the opportunity is gone. Yes, I've searched the different panels. Got a little scared when it showed him as 'unemployed' and I sent him home immediately to see if he had lost his job (I wasn't aware it shows as unemployed while on vacation) and of course he hadn't, everything was as it should be. The opportunity, however, was still gone, as if I had cancelled it. It doesn't have a time limit, and I used S3PE on a copy of the gameplaydata.package I made when creating a custom career to look at the code of that opportunity, just in case I could spot something there.

I tried it again: he was going with someone else in his household who hadn't lost the 2 Opps he had (police Sim only had that one related to his job), so when I reloaded my save from before sending them off to China, I gave the 2nd Sim a career opp too on a whim (using mods). His is a custom career though, one I downloaded here on MTS, and wasn't related to travelling so all it told me was to return home to complete - standard procedure - when I sent them off again. So, Sim 1 (police) magically loses that opp once the game loads them in China, Sim 2 keeps all of his. I'm at a loss on what to do.

ErrorTrap isn't picking up or logging anything related to it. I can't use NRaas to re-add that opp while in China because he's "temporarily unemployed", so I have no access to the opps from his career to manually add it again (or, because I looked, add him to the LE career again - makes sense, he technically still has that job, and there are no jobs while on vacation).

Sidenotes:
First, in case anyone suggests it, I do have NRaas Traveler installed. But if you know something I should change in its settings, or in one of the other NRaas modules, let me know.
My game is a digital copy bought and installed through Steam, all EPs except ITF and no SPs. Patch 1.67 according to the launcher.
Sim 2 has a skill opp to go to Egypt and report to the military that does not disappear when going to China, but I haven't sent him to Egypt yet to test if the same thing happens or not. I haven't had any of the other travel opps to test yet either, the ones asking to deliver something, though I'm not sure if they're related to other careers or skills. The one disappearing is the first I'm trying.
From my scouring of the web, I found no successful cases and maybe a handful of accounts of this problem with no solution, however they weren't all the same. One person said this exact opp I have still showed for them when they got to China and only disappeared after they tried to meet their first local, much like it'd been cancelled. The same seemed to happen for similar opps for the Journalism career.
Another few people reported the exact same issue I'm having, of the opps not being there once the game loads in the travel destination, but nothing was suggested in how to make it work.

All of which has led me to conclude it should be an EA glitch with either WA or the travel system (these opps were added by the EP), or most likely a glitch in the specific opps themselves if they require travelling to a certain location to perform a task and not all of them might be affected by it. Though I don't know everything Traveller or the other NRaas mods and modules do and change, I don't believe it should be caused by them - excluding something I myself may have changed in their settings but I haven't touched them up much.
I've thought of a few things to test to see if I get different results: making Sim 1 the one 'booking the trip', make him travel solo, send them to another destination other than China (the opp's target location), send Sim 2 to Egypt to test the skill opp he has, deleting the cache files before loading that same save again, disabling the Happiness Points loading system. Honestly I don't see how any of these would make a difference, and I'm not expecting them to.

Any insight or help on this is very appreciated. I'm something of a completionist and I'd like to be able to do the opportunities, plus have the satisfaction of seeing yet another problem in this game solved.
Thanks for reading this far.
--Ellie

UPDATE:
I didn't have DebugEnabler (NRaas) installed before this, and while at their place, Igazor suggested I tried it to automatically complete the opp and get the rewards without actually doing the tasks, if I found no other way to get it done.

Instead, when looking at the menu I saw the option to add opportunities - unlike Master Controller, it could list all the opps, even while in China. So after 'Improving Disguises' had yet again disappeared from the opps tab once the Sims arrived, I tried it. It didn't work, but I'm mentioning it here because it told me why: the Sim didn't meet the requirements. I checked the game code, there are no requirements listed for that opp.
<OpportunitiesRequirements>
<GUID>EP1_CareerPolice_MeetLocals</GUID>
</OpportunitiesRequirements>
The only requirement that wouldn't have to be listed is logically being in the Law Enforcement career. I'm not sure of this, but I'm getting more and more convinced this has something to do with the fact that any Sim on vacation is shown as 'unemployed'.

If anyone knows of a workaround, please share it with me. I haven't found any sort of fix or mod for it, so if anyone would like to try and crack it (and this is a very big if, I know), do tell me.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 4:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by starkofgenius
*snip*

The glitch I want to ask about is the following: a career opportunity that requires travelling disappears when I travel to the destination.
My Sim in the Law Enforcement career got an opp called Improving Disguises, and the goals to complete it are: travel to China, meet 4 locals, report back at work. But it's impossible for me to do so because when he arrives in China, the opportunity is gone. Yes, I've searched the different panels. Got a little scared when it showed him as 'unemployed' and I sent him home immediately to see if he had lost his job (I wasn't aware it shows as unemployed while on vacation) and of course he hadn't, everything was as it should be. The opportunity, however, was still gone, as if I had cancelled it. It doesn't have a time limit, and I used S3PE on a copy of the gameplaydata.package I made when creating a custom career to look at the code of that opportunity, just in case I could spot something there.

*snip*

Had the same issue myself, same opportunity, cop career, and it was gone as soon as he arrived in China. Still gone when he returned, too. Like you, I have some NRAAS mods, but doubt those are the issue. No custom careers, or travel mods, at all. Beyond annoying! Haven't seen a solution yet, either.
Site Helper
#3 Old 5th Mar 2018 at 2:23 PM
My game is on my old computer, and this could easily be a recipe for disaster so you would want to have a backup in a safe place before trying it, but when you get an opportunity that disappears, enjoy your vacation, go home, cheat to add it back at home, and then cheat to fill it at home without taking another vacation.

I suppose you could also try adding the proper rabbithole to the vacation world. But that could get even more problematic.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
#4 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 12:13 PM Last edited by MadDoctor : 30th Apr 2018 at 2:34 PM.
I came here searching for an answer to the same problem. It's happened to me a few times in the past. This time, I had created a family of musicians and sent them all to get jobs in the music industry. The first generation didn't do any travelling on their own, but the kids are now starting. Three of the musicians had the opportunity "New Musical Theory" which requires travel to China and speaking to the special merchant. The are tagging along with the kids so they can complete the opportunity. They arrive in China and none of them have the opportunity anymore.

I just had an idea. The opportunities that are job related seem to be the ones affected. When your sim is travelling, they are considered unemployed. This could be the reason the opportunities cancel themselves, they become inapplicable because the sim doesn't have the job to go with it. If so, this would be an EA bug that should have been fixed long ago.

Gord - the Mad Doctor
One of the Puppy People Lying Naked in the Periwinkle
Hacking the Human Race (ie - recombinating marsupial genes so nudists can have pockets) any other requests?