Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Mar 2018 at 6:55 AM
Default Questions about Military Career & Dorms
Reposting from the Build Forum:

I'm hoping that some of you brilliant Sims experts can help me with these questions for a world I'm building -

I want to build a "realistic" Coast Guard station on an island (which would be used as the Military Base RH via rugs).

1. How does career progression with non-active sims work? When I go to populate my world (with Nraas), if I create sims that are in the military career, will they stay there? How would their career progress (or not) as other sims are played?
2. Could I theoretically use sororities / fraternities (S/F's) in my home world to function as military dorms next to my military base lot? I'd like to have a Men's dorm and Women's dorm. Are S/F's limited to Young Adult residents, or could adults / elders live there too, in theory?
3. Could I use a mod to limit only military career sims to live in the S/F's?

Thank you!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Mar 2018 at 12:23 PM
1- It depends what you are actually using for progression. NRaas SP will progress inactive sims in their careers for you. Some sims will do well, pick up skills along the way, and succeed, whereas others might fail and get demoted or never rise in job levels. You can set individual Sim Options to disallow changing jobs if desired as otherwise sims may do that on you if they have traits and a LTW that would be served better by a different career. Or just to annoy the player. If you are using EA's built-in story progression, then sorry but all bets are off.

2 & 3 - No, the Dormitory and Frat/Sorority House lot types have no age restrictions but they are only meant for Uni World. The counterpart in homeworlds is Resdential-Apartment, but that one triggers the town's Roommate Service and it cannot be switched off. Sounds like not what you want here. You might consider just adding these sims to a few large communal living type lots as housemates using MC's Add Sim thus creating large blended "households" out of each living unit. NRaas SP would allow you to set Household Options so that these sims cannot move out individually or as a group on you, there's a setting for each kind of move (single/entire household).

Would that get you close to what you want, or would something still be lacking?
Scholar
#3 Old 11th Mar 2018 at 3:35 PM
I'd give a try a caste feature (while we speak of Nraas mods). Let's see what we can see:

Code:
MilitarySims               #global caste
   Privateers              #subcaste - all the army meat
   NCO                      # -"- these loud sargeants
   CO                        # actual lieutenants, capitains and the "general"
   CivilianStaff            # may be omitted if not needed

MilitarySimsFemales    #if necessary for some reason
MilitarySimsMales        #as above

And then adding them to proper castes for example:
John Doe Privateers/MilitarySimsMales
Jane Doe Privateers/MilitarySimsFemales
Mike Doe NCO
Betty Doe CO
"Privateers" should live in separate (gender-specific) households (just as female/male-only households, it's simpler) as long as they are single, while married (rank regardless) may live with spouse in houses provided by the Army/Navy/whatever. Civilians works in the base but usually does not live there. and so on. With castes/individual sims managing it's easy to control work routines, rank, allowed/disallowed places to go, activities etc. I'd also use the non-maxis military career in such case.

It obviously have no sense if the whole "military population" is tiny like 5-10 sims. But if it's like 50 than may be worth a shot for a long term.

It was working similar way when I made my "military base population" for eventually broken (my fault) game and barely started legacy.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 3:19 AM
@igazor & @ElaineNualla , thank you both for your replies! This is great information! Next time I boot up my actual game (vs. CAW + EiG) then I will play around with your suggestions / ideas.