Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
#51 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 4:41 PM
Another input:
I think the end of the Maya calendar doesn't mean the end of ours, right?

I come in peace
#52 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 5:55 PM
No people thousands of years ago could ever predict the end of the world this specific. I think it's just the end of an era in the Mayans calendar years. An era that mostly doesn't count for other parts of the world. Like here in the Western part of the world the calendar starts of different from the Chinese etc? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I do believe that the world will someday suffer, but that can be next year or it can be millions of years away. The biggest threats are big catastrophes like earth quakes or solar storms that takes out the electricity. Also wars or lack of food.. diseases. But nothing that happens in one day!

Anyway, live your lives to the full no matter how many days we have left ^^
Field Researcher
#53 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 7:22 PM
I know a surprising amount people who actually believe that crap, it's funny yet sad at the same time and these are the same people who believed in Y2K.

You know what my sister thinks happened and probably makes the most sense. The Mayans were writing the calendar and after writing over a thousand years worth dates in stone, he/she eventually got carpal tunnel and said "ah fuck it its far enough". Not everything is this big conspiracy people.

I refuse to watch 2012 till the year 2013.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people!
Instructor
#54 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 3:24 AM
According to scientists the Andromeda Galaxy is hurling towards our galaxy at an alarming speed and will be here in 4 Billion years.
Can you imagine looking up in the sky and instead of stars you see a whole galaxy, I think it would be glorious as well as frightening.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda_Galaxy

They also say that a Asteroid is coming very close to Earth in 2029 or 2036 and they don't know yet if it will hit us or not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99942_Apophis

In 5 Billion years our Sun will become a red giant and expand and swallow the Earth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun

So those events will destroy our planet and the Andromeda Galaxy will tear our Galaxy to bits most likely.
I'm not saying it's fact, just what scientists think will happen.

With that in mind, I wouldn't worry about 2012...it seems more like a scare tactic by people who are bored.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#55 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 3:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~Dee~
Can you imagine looking up in the sky and instead of stars you see a whole galaxy, I think it would be glorious as well as frightening.

I dunno about you, but when I look at the sky I can already see a whole galaxy- the Milky Way- as well as billions of others if I have a telescope.

Quote: Originally posted by ~Dee~
They also say that a Asteroid is coming very close to Earth in 2029 or 2036 and they don't know yet if it will hit us or not.

Bad news, there are a whole load of them:
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/

Quick! Order a pint of beer and a packet of peanuts, and stick your electronic thumb out!
Instructor
#56 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 3:56 AM Last edited by ~Dee~ : 11th Jun 2011 at 4:15 AM.
With the naked eye you see stars in the sky, not the shape of our own galaxy, but when the Andromeda galaxy come towards us you can actually see the spiral shape with the naked eye.
And I know there are a lot of Asteroids because of the Asteroid Belt, but none is as close to us as the one what comes along in 2029.

Just clarifying my above post.

Edit: Interesting link Simsample, thank you.

Field Researcher
#57 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 6:22 AM
Most of these so called end of days predictions are stemming from the end of the Mayan Calender coming to an end. (Aside from that crazy dude who said he hacked the bibles code and the world was spose to end last week or something.)

Anyways, a long count calender is just what it is. Its vigesimal. It counts the days from so called creation of that calender until the end of the cycle. The Mayans had already gone through four cycles and this would be the fifth. The Mayans would have celebrated this as the end of a cycle and a beginning of a new. There isn't anything saying that they knew the date the world would end. Like someone pointed above, if they had this ability, why not their own downfall?

As for the religious extremists..the bible does say that no man will ever know the day it will end. Period.

There will always be someone saying something about the worlds demise.

I'll even add my own, more plausible, prophesy: In about 50 billion years the sun will grow large enough engulf planet Earth, then collapse under its own weight. Also, zombies.

** Patrick Stewart + Felicia Day + Bruce Campbell + zombie invasion + the cast of Firefly = my happiness.
Or, Chocolate ... yea I'll go with chocolate. **
Scholar
#58 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 6:59 AM
MizzesSimmer is right about the man not supposed to knowing about the time or the hour God will come. You realize how many times he's probably has to put off the end of the world just because some yahoo guessed right. Pst, if you want the world to end quit guessing when it's going to end. Plus God's getting upset having to constantly reschedual.

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Inventor
#59 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 7:32 AM
...Damn, this thread is still getting replies? I would've thought it'd be long dead by now...
Quote: Originally posted by Rectos Dominos
I know a surprising amount people who actually believe that crap, it's funny yet sad at the same time and these are the same people who believed in Y2K.

The good ol' Y2K scare...I think that my favorite highlight from that whole debacle was the story of the woman who was convinced that toilet paper would become the new post-apocalyptic currency, so she stockpiled several rooms' worth of asswipe in her bomb shelter (enough that she probably still hasn't run out yet). Meeeemmoooriiieeess!
Quote: Originally posted by MizzesSimmer
I'll even add my own, more plausible, prophesy: In about 50 billion years the sun will grow large enough engulf planet Earth, then collapse under its own weight. Also, zombies.

Better watch out, those crafty buggers are already making preparations as we speak!
Top Secret Researcher
#60 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 8:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by malfoya
...Anyway, live your lives to the full no matter how many days we have left ^^

I do agree with that.

I gave a Sim's-eye view of last month's End Of The World in my blog (link in my sig). The next End Of The World is such months away yet, I'm not going to worry about it.
Scholar
#61 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 7:33 PM
The end of the world has already started a long, long time ago...

It started when this crappy species we dare call "human" came into existence.

Everything after that has been a steady decline into more and more mediocre crap. Soon we'll get to the point where we'll become so "negative" we won't have anything positive or self-sustaining to feed off of and become extinct.

A glorious day that will be...
Alchemist
#62 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasumi

Everything after that has been a steady decline into more and more mediocre crap. Soon we'll get to the point where we'll become so "negative" we won't have anything positive or self-sustaining to feed off of and become extinct.

Y'know you're also a human, right?

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Instructor
#63 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 2:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasumi

You have a point, it's because of us that the world is in the state it is in.
This planet is our home and we treat it as if we had another one in reserve.
It's a disgrace what we are doing to it.

The fact that the Amazon Rain Forest is being cut down should tell you how little regard we have for our planet, the Amazon Rain Forest is not called 'the lungs of the Earth' for nothing.

Scholar
#64 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 4:08 AM
http://www.cracked.com/article_1744...l-bullshit.html

Just thought I'd drop this here and run off.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Inventor
#65 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 2:58 PM
Mhhh.. mayan calendar..

You know I always had the idea that we seek too much into this and that the Mayans who made the calendar had something like: 'Well, 2012, that's a nice date. But let's stop here, my hand is numb from drawing and this is long enough for our purposes. It's gonna last. Next cilvillization can make their own. When was Aquatlezec's birthday again? So, what's for dinner?'
Page 3 of 3