Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st May 2012 at 12:17 AM
Default If another company created The Sims...
What would it be like? You have to admit that Maxis was smart about some of the ways they went about it. Enabling custom content being the main thing.

What do you think would be different? Different devs might think the aspiration system is useless, for example.

I know some people will rant a bit so let's try to keep the EA-bashing to a minimum for the mods' sake, lol.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 21st May 2012 at 12:36 AM
As a giant Elder Scrolls fan, I would have love to seen Bethesda take a crack at the sims. It'd have all the simulation/domestic aspects of Sims that I love so much, mixed in with a heavy dose of adventure, quests, and amazing plotlines.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 21st May 2012 at 1:51 AM
Valve taking it over would have it more task-based (more TS2 than TS3 with wants and fears and goals), with shinier, less cartoonish graphics, but still with the same dark humour we know and love and expect.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Field Researcher
#4 Old 21st May 2012 at 2:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
Valve taking it over would have it more task-based (more TS2 than TS3 with wants and fears and goals), with shinier, less cartoonish graphics, but still with the same dark humour we know and love and expect.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Oh, good! My slow clap processor made it into this thing!

I would love love love to have a GlaDOS sim. She could be like Mrs. Crumplebottom. But instead of beating you with her purse, she'd try to murder you.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 21st May 2012 at 2:52 AM
I vote for RLM-soft, because that means I would have made, and would be rich

It's your life, live it your way!
Want to see what else I make, go to www.rlm-soft.com and check it out.
Find out what's happening with Sim Tracker
---
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 21st May 2012 at 2:56 AM
Maybe they would of playtested enough to know not to delete sims, or a variety of other things, for that matter.

That was not helpful, funny, or love!
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 21st May 2012 at 4:01 AM
I dunno why, but seeing I am a Huge HUGE TOMB RAIDER fan. I would say Crystal Dynamics. I guess they would bring a new way to Sims. More action. Or even Square Enix. That would be pretty awesome. Seeing they did make Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, and I am huge fan of that game as well. More cool hair, and clothing. Ah, just an awesome idea too Sims.

It would be really neat to see what they would do, if they took over the Sims. I mean EA is okay, don't get me wrong. Just their...I guess their interactions get rather boring after you have used them a bagillion times. >.<

I have no clue, just yeah. Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix :D

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 21st May 2012 at 5:14 AM
I am giggling at the notion of Paradox Games making The Sims - they make historical strategy titles, mostly.

There'd still be active discussion at the official site about Sims 1, let alone Sims 2 (including from the developers), and you wouldn't need to insert the CD every time you wanted to start the game, either.

Your sim would also be able to acquire cassus belli on the neighbors, and declare war on them - thus expanding the size of the lot, if victorious. All sims would wear armor.
Theorist
#9 Old 21st May 2012 at 9:22 AM
If Square Enix took on the Sims, the graphic would have a much more detailed maps and object textures. Then the clothes would probably consist of belts and boots and chained accessories.
Scholar
#10 Old 21st May 2012 at 10:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vhanster
If Square Enix took on the Sims, the graphic would have a much more detailed maps and object textures. Then the clothes would probably consist of belts and boots and chained accessories.

And either moogles or chocobos would replace llamas

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 21st May 2012 at 5:39 PM
Oh yes, and a Paradox Sims would replace the llama with the platypus.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 22nd May 2012 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vhanster

Everything would be belts, chains, and outfits that don't make sense.
Scholar
#13 Old 22nd May 2012 at 8:47 PM
I agree....anything square enix would be crazy outrageous outfits that are horribly tacky lol. I'd say naughty dog or rockstar games for the win.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 22nd May 2012 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pondefloor
Everything would be belts, chains, and outfits that don't make sense.

Look at clothes from Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. Most of the clothing is belts, chains, etc. But their clothing is actually pretty cool, in my eyes. Its different instead of what you see now. Girls trying to fit in tight clothing, hence why the appearence of Lara Croft has changed, because they wanted her to be normal looking and not be some big titted bimbo.

Though I have been a fan of Lara Croft since Tomb Raider came out. I am glad that they are changing her up a bit. Because when I first saw her, I continued to ask myself:

"How can a woman with her..."Size" shimmy up walls and stuff?"

But yes, Square Enix has some interesting ideas for clothing. But Square Enix hit huge when they came out with Final Fantasy, but this was when they were known as Square Soft, Square Soft ended up changing their name to "Square Enix" later on. On that note, they didn't just make Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, they did come out with horror Survival games as well. One being:

Parasite Eve

Changing their look once again. Square Enix is very diverse with their gaming, not only in clothes (lol) but in other attributes. Game design, and game atmosphere. Parasite Eve scared the crap out of me, when it first came out. I mean heck, they did make Tomb Raider as well With Crystal Dynamics.

So I do believe that Square Enix formally known as Square Soft would make Sims a bit better.

Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
I agree....anything square enix would be crazy outrageous outfits that are horribly tacky lol. I'd say naughty dog or rockstar games for the win.

Outrageous clothing would be awesome, especially, when if your making like an Anime feel or want to make a Final Fanatasy sort of story. Square Enix would bring a new light to the Sims. And plus, I would love to have crazy hair for my Sims And maybe girls could have like cooler clothes.

Then again, all of my girl Sims go one way, and that is the way of the rainbow. I am sure eventually I will have straight female sims. Ahem, yeah. But I wouldn't mind having outrageous clothing.

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Scholar
#15 Old 22nd May 2012 at 10:08 PM
There is nothing wrong with outrageous outfits, If square enix made the sims it would be too veered towards a specific crowd in my opinion. I like realistic, and practicality...and I think there are others out there who like that too. Parasite eve was one of my favorite game of all time, i think it is actually my top 5...and tomb raider is definitely my number 3.

I kinda would like a grungified sims...that would be awesome. Something similar to Bethesda's fallout.
Banned
#16 Old 23rd May 2012 at 2:52 AM
If Rockstar made the Sims, it would be a hell of a lot darker and a lot less cartoonish and a lot of the pop culture references would be of a sexual nature. People wouldn't need to make murder mods. On the other hand, Sims would look a lot more realistic if the game franchise was released around the time of Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto 4. Also, the outfits would kick ass - you'd have a wide array of outfits ranging from cowboy costumes to pimp suits. Unfortunately the DRM would be worse than EA's.

Too bad 3DO went bust after Might and Magic IX came out, I'd like to see what Sims would look like if it was powered by the Lithtech engine. Maybe the folks behind Unreal 3 (Lithtech FEAR) could show us.

ID Software - the makers of Doom - would not only have cranked up the gore to eleven, but crammed photorealistic detail into every last texel - you'd practically need a supercomputer to run the game. Not to mention the transform and lighting would suck beyond belief. On the bright side, my Serial Killer Challenge would be built right in. >

Microsoft. Oh gods, can you imagine? It wouldn't be called the Sims, they'd call it "Microsoft Dollhouse Simulator" or something equally bland. There'd be no Mac port, there'd be no CC allowed, but at least it would be ported to the Xbox 360 a lot sooner.

Firaxis, the makers of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and the Civilization franchise: I don't think they'd even think of making something like the Sims, but if they did they'd sure as hell fill it with a lot of gameplay detail. Sims would not only be concerned with their lives, families and aspirations, they'd have to research technology to get better things for their homes, negotiate with people in neighbouring towns for supplies, organize civil defense and things like that.

Blizzard wouldn't allow CC, but Sims Medieval would be out a lot sooner... :P
Scholar
#17 Old 23rd May 2012 at 5:00 AM
I agree about the Civilization franchise - we'd need someone experienced with simulation to do the game.

In my heart of hearts though, I'd give it to Bethesda. I have a soft spot for that company and their work in my heart, and that rarely, if ever, happens to me. I've joined the Elder Scrolls junkies only with Morrowind, the third title, but ever since I first walked from Seyda Neen to Balmora I was hooked. Oblivion took the series a step into the simulation games teritory, and it was a step in the rightest of all directions. Skyrim is building on that experience, improving it. I expect the next title to be an almost perfect game in every respect, at least as far as I'm concerned. Bethesda has never dissapointed me.

Oh, and in some paralel universe it's still Maxis - the one that did TS1 and conceptualized TS2 - doing this series. I wish I lived there
Field Researcher
#18 Old 23rd May 2012 at 6:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsica
In my heart of hearts though, I'd give it to Bethesda. I have a soft spot for that company and their work in my heart, and that rarely, if ever, happens to me. I've joined the Elder Scrolls junkies only with Morrowind, the third title, but ever since I first walked from Seyda Neen to Balmora I was hooked. Oblivion took the series a step into the simulation games teritory, and it was a step in the rightest of all directions. Skyrim is building on that experience, improving it. I expect the next title to be an almost perfect game in every respect, at least as far as I'm concerned. Bethesda has never dissapointed me.

<3

I still remember the first time I played Morrowind and stepped into Seyda Neen. From then on I was in love.

I bought TSM in the hopes it would fulfill some of my love for the rpg/adventure/fantasy genre, but I have so far been disappointed. It's not a bad game, it's just not as adventurous as I had hoped. My favorite part of TES games was the actual going into the forest, hunting down rare mushrooms for my potions and finding new caves/mines. Clicking on the forest and selecting "explore forest" doesn't have the same effect
Scholar
#19 Old 23rd May 2012 at 6:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alijah
My favorite part of TES games was the actual going into the forest, hunting down rare mushrooms for my potions and finding new caves/mines.

I was an accomplished alchemist myself What am i saying?! I AM an accomplished alchemist! And I'm working on re-installing Morrowind, with all the best of the mods there are out there. It's a grand game by its own right.

ETA: You should see my lab in my Anvil manor. You'd be jealous Of course, Oblivion is still proudly installed on my PC, with all my lvl 40+ characters. It's like TS2 for me - I'll never give it up.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 23rd May 2012 at 4:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
I am giggling at the notion of Paradox Games making The Sims - they make historical strategy titles, mostly.

There'd still be active discussion at the official site about Sims 1, let alone Sims 2 (including from the developers), and you wouldn't need to insert the CD every time you wanted to start the game, either.

Your sim would also be able to acquire cassus belli on the neighbors, and declare war on them - thus expanding the size of the lot, if victorious. All sims would wear armor.

We'd have a lot of IKEA furniture to place. Everyone would drive Volvos. The soundtrack would feature Abba but also Scandinavian Death Metal.

Every chance card would feature some economic history.

And there would be a lot of patches, all developed by Johann in his ... Free Time.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 23rd May 2012 at 6:22 PM Last edited by saskganesh : 23rd May 2012 at 7:30 PM.
Oh I forgot. Paradox would ship historical households. Like:

" Meet the Bonaparte Family. Will young Napoleon be able to realise his continental dreams of conquest at work? Will his wife, divorcee Josephine, be able to stave off dynastic competition from the high society Hapsburg household? And will stepson Eugene be given Italy to rule or will he choose a rock star career instead?"
Mad Poster
#22 Old 24th May 2012 at 12:34 AM
A Fallout-like sims game would have my money before it was even THOUGHT OF, that's how bad I want it. *drools*

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 24th May 2012 at 3:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by perihelion
If Rockstar made the Sims, it would be a hell of a lot darker and a lot less cartoonish and a lot of the pop culture references would be of a sexual nature. People wouldn't need to make murder mods. On the other hand, Sims would look a lot more realistic if the game franchise was released around the time of Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto 4. Also, the outfits would kick ass - you'd have a wide array of outfits ranging from cowboy costumes to pimp suits. Unfortunately the DRM would be worse than EA's.

Depends on what era of Rockstar games we're talking here. If we're talking about Sims 2, which was released pre-San Andreas, then it would probably be closer to the aesthetic we have now, only with more sex and violence. But I wouldn't want them to make a Sims game now, not after GTA IV. It would be, like you said, way too dark.

Plus after Hot Coffee, they wouldn't take the risk and allow CC.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 24th May 2012 at 7:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsica
I was an accomplished alchemist myself What am i saying?! I AM an accomplished alchemist! And I'm working on re-installing Morrowind, with all the best of the mods there are out there. It's a grand game by its own right.

ETA: You should see my lab in my Anvil manor. You'd be jealous Of course, Oblivion is still proudly installed on my PC, with all my lvl 40+ characters. It's like TS2 for me - I'll never give it up.

Anvil was my HOME, I loved that place! It was my favorite city and the house was awesome.

... and just like that, it's time to reinstall Morrowind and Oblivion! XD Skyrim is already in my xbox :D
Scholar
#25 Old 25th May 2012 at 6:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alijah
Anvil was my HOME, I loved that place! It was my favorite city and the house was awesome.

... and just like that, it's time to reinstall Morrowind and Oblivion! XD Skyrim is already in my xbox :D

I tried to move to Skingrad. I did, I swear. Luckily, there's that "fast travel" functionality in there, so I could run back to Anvil almost immediately after I saw the place. It's not a bad place, just not homey enough.

Imagine Sims living in a hood like Anvil. Ooookay... Now I'm thinking about getting SC4 and building the map myself. Unless someone knows about an already existing Anvil SC4 map? Please? Pretty please, with a cherry on top?

ETA: Fallout. Fallout... OMG, I still shudder whenever some 1950s music comes up. I love the game (at least those titles Bethesda made) but it makes my stomach turn and my head implode. That game forced me to act against my own dearly held personal principles. I chose the wellbeing of many over the wellbeing of one suffering individual. I left Harold alive just so that the wasteland could one day be green again. I never believed that Harold was at peace with himself after I chose this. I wouldn't be.
I think of this game as an experience that showed me what I really am, in my heart of hearts. A person who would leave someone to suffer. No matter the conditions, I was so shocked with myself. No other game has ever done this to me.
Page 1 of 3