Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 2:24 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 won't go full-screen, keeps returning to desktop
I had to reboot my laptop today following a crash (not Sims 2 related). Now I can't get the game to boot up properly. When I click the icon, the screen briefly goes black, and when the music starts, it returns to my desktop, but shows a big blue arrow instead of my normal mouse pointer. Using the arrow to click on the game icon does nothing, and it won't click on anything else. I hear the startup music playing but can't get into the game.

I have to Alt-Tab to get back to a clickable desktop and use Task Manager to stop the game. Right-clicking on the game process and selecting Maximize or Move to Front just puts me back on the desktop with the game music playing. I can see part of the game window at the very top of the screen, but I can't select full screen from there.

I've tried switching my display resolution settings and using Alt-Enter to go to full screen. I also rebooted again and checked that my graphics drivers are up to date.

My specs:
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 5:03 AM
Game's resolution may not be compatible with your monitor. Did you use Graphic Rules Maker?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 5:15 PM
I did when I got it set up to run on Windows 10 - that was a couple of years ago. (I am using Sims 2 UC from Origin.)

I remember still having to tweak some graphics rules manually in the game files. The game has actually been running on Intel graphics.

I tried doing an uninstall/reinstall. I'll reset the graphic rules again to see if that fixes the problem.

The weird thing is: Sims 2 was running just fine on Saturday but wouldn't go fullscreen after I rebooted the laptop on Sunday.

I wondered if Origin had installed the Windows 10 patch. I just found out about it; I hadn't played Sims 2 for a year or so before this last round.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Jun 2018 at 2:19 AM
Heh. It WAS my external monitor plugged via adaptor into my laptop. It's old and probably just gave up the ghost. The game runs on my laptop screen. Since I did a fresh install, I changed graphics settings to high-res again. The only wrinkle was when I loaded my uberhood, it started doing that "Creating Pets, Creating Weather ..." stealth template stuff. I didn't think it would do that once a new neighborhood was created, but looks like it does. I went back into the game files and disabled those templates. Luckily I had a backup copy of the 'hood.