Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 6:45 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Recording is buggy and bad
Note--I DO NOT KNOW if the problem is with the game or with the computer so I'm going to assume that this area can at least point me in the right direction. The last few times I've tried to record playing Sims 3 have been buggy like woah, with the audio making a loud buzzing noise all throughout (which isn't audible to me, only to the people watching), and today the feed kept freezing and constantly restarting even though my gameplay continued and SAID I was still streaming. I recorded a video of all the settings I have as well as the below specs.

Time of this report: 6/8/2018, 22:35:07
Machine name: DESKTOP-7NRDUA7
Machine Id: {B8F3C2B4-7AB9-41E5-AB04-BB5EB0D4A4BF}
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release_svc_escrow.180502-1908)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 17-7778
BIOS: 1.16.1
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12148MB RAM
Page File: 6306MB used, 9296MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.16299.0015 64bit Unicode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf6nf6NPwpE The link to the video of the awful problems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5yCIiK9wPQ A video with the audio problems. The one where everything froze I haven't even ported to Youtube yet because it was SO horrible.

Bear in mind that when I'm playing, I don't even have the GAME AUDIO audible more than a tiny bit. All I can hear is me talking and my birds. This humming noise comes from absolutely nowhere and nothing in my house is even close to that loud. I have game audio set to very low regardless and it sounds pretty loud for the settings I have it on.

So this is all puzzling me to no end.

Oh, AND, when I got on today, one of the characters was missing from the select screen. I've only seen that once before, and that's when my game with the same characters glitched up during a trip to France (it reset that as their home location and wouldn't let me send them home, and I had to restart). But I've played with these same characters before THAT even and everything was fine, and I have another save with completely different characters that works great.

Man, I wish I could just have someone come to my house and physically show me what to do because I have to understand all this...
Advertisement
Inventor
Original Poster
#2 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 5:34 AM
Anybody? I'd like to figure this out as soon as possible since I want to do streaming more often. I can't set up a schedule until I figure out what the issue is.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 10:38 AM
When it comes to your internet speed, be aware that your upload spead very often is way slower than your download speed, and they often only inform you of the download speed, because most people only download. Have you checked the speed out?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#5 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 2:28 PM
Is this a Desktop or Laptop? Name is desktop but with an ultrabook processor? Do you have dual graphics? what's the discrete GPU model, if dual?

An i7 quad-core U processor is still not on par with a Desktop i7 Quad-core processor.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 2:36 PM
I'm not seeing any GPU info, which might very well be the issue given TS3's unoptimized nature.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 3:22 PM
Laptop, I've checked my internet speed and it's usually ok, and how would that affect the sound? I can take a little bit of lag, but the bugs and the audio are the biggest issues. I'm not sure what would cause the audio to be so bleeding terrible.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#8 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 4:00 PM Last edited by ellacharmed : 12th Jun 2018 at 4:10 PM.
My bad, i7 6500U is a dual-core, not a quad-core ultrabook processor. And this "2-in-1 convertible laptop" has a 940mx GPU & 5400rpm HDD (not SSD)? Are you making sure that the gameplay and recording is utilizing the discrete GPU?
As TS3 is not a game that optimizes cores, the game recognizes that the laptop has a 2.5Ghz CPU, which is just the bare minimum of specs, IIRC TS3 requirements correctly (without going to the simswiki to check).

So, based on nitromon's checklist of troubleshooting steps, how's the result of (1)? Does the laptop perform well with gameplay without even recording? How long until you feel the machine heating up?

I've never had good gameplay experience with any ultrabooks I've tested TS3 on. It gets super hot barely 15mins into gameplay and I had to stop in order not to fry and spoil the hardware. But most of them are of the 13.3" form factor with onboard graphics variety, so perhaps this laptop being a 17-incher with a GPU has better heatsink design and airflow.
Others may have different experiences, but I was very wary since I needed to load CAW and TS3 in quick successions for testing. And so I don't do much gaming or CAW-ing with any of my ultrabook laptops.

I didn't click on any of the youtube links, as I feel this laptop (on paper) does not meet specs for gameplay, let alone streaming. Sorry.
Others might get different gameplay experience on an 8th gen ultrabook laptop with discrete GPUs and SSDs, however. Because reports indicate newer gen CPUs show considerable improvements on older games
Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 8:16 AM
Yeah it gets pretty hot. It also tells me I'm using a lot of CPU. What can I do to cool it down?

And "this laptop does not meet specs for gameplay, let alone streaming"? Because I got it basically for that reason. And it's also under two years old, so surely that should be a "newer gen", right?

I do think I figured out the sound though. I had a camera and a microphone plugged in, and I think despite setting the audio to the microphone it was also pulling it from the camera as well for some reason (and somehow this led to a delay though I don't know how).
Inventor
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 10:42 AM
Ok I keep trying to type a reply here and every time it says the site is acting up, so I'll continue later because it's 2:30 am and I even copied the text before hitting post and then it wouldn't let me paste it back in

Needless to say, my overall points:
-overheating is what killed my last one
-but that overheated during everything and this just does it during recording
-CPU acts up when I'm doing anything with the recording thing like streaming a reaction to E3
-I don't understand why I would have to go to the audio input of my system when I just want it for the recording software but I figured that already had some sort of override where it selected only the things I told it to and that by setting audio input to the microphone it should override the other audio inputs in there since I specifically selected it.

For some reason this is taking me ages to write every time.
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 5:35 AM
Oy vay. And to think my parents expect me to know how to fix computer problems because "oh but you're on it all the time!" Dad watches TV all the time and he isn't expected to know how to fix one of those.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#15 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
... And it's also under two years old, so surely that should be a "newer gen", right?....
Weelll, no. Length of ownership does not equate the hardware's technological age. The 6th gen CPU was first launched Q315 - https://ark.intel.com/products/8819...-up-to-3_10-GHz Probably in laptops in mid 2016 or so.

And according to https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/cpu-comparison 8th gen was launched sometime late 2017