Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#201 Old 11th Dec 2015 at 8:14 AM Last edited by simmythesim : 11th Dec 2015 at 2:19 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
Researching some of the elements of simsville and watching early videos and screenshots to get some idea of the game design (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY9Q1ZNSDIE).

I have trouble mashing the city management with individual experience.
City management restricts the individual experience, so it should be dumbed down to town management or revolve around the individual/sen level.

Despite this, Maxis made SimsVille incredibly robust and fun to play. They canceled the game (that was more than 60% done) and used it's contents to further develop sims, sims 2 and SimCity 4 (SC4 looks almost identical to Simsville). That way they made more money.

The best features I could've think of are "industry specialization" and "unrestricted district specialization".

Industry specialization-Basically, sens have needs, and those needs are satisfied by shops that deliver certain type of product. Certain type of product requires certain type of freight, which requires certain type of industry... example: furniture store requires timber industry, grocery store requires agricultural industry, game store requires software industry.
There are also certain types of community (services) lots that require certain industry... example: oil power plant or gas stations require oil industry, hospital and research require technology industry.

Unrestricted district specialization is the most interesting feature that I could come up with. What it is, is basically you have one huge world divided into 20(or more) pieces called districts, and those districts are actually your manage points. Inside of them, player can go for about anything.

If a player wants, player can create a district where the main rule is the criminal, and another district of only policemen. Sens from those two districts will eventually clash, but only if the districts are connected.
Or there could be a district of software industry, which would be an ideal living environment for your nerd sens. The important thing is that all of it is governed only by how player plays a certain district.

Nice addition to this would be unrestricted finances, where player could go into red in certain district, but gets considerably more money from another district, giving him a chance to still improve the broke district.

Good ideas, coincidentally, I thought of commercial buildings having different types and fulfilling different needs, but it never came out of the planning stage. I'll keep your ideas in mind, after I decide whether I want to continue this project or not, or keep on programming my new game with a vision that doesn't contradict itself and with a clear overview on what features to add. I think I'll choose the latter, because doing that as one of the first projects was a huge mistake. My new game has less of an emphasis on graphics, and more of an emphasis on gameplay and story. Graphics (and Build Mode in general..) killed Untitled Life Sim, and poor direction killed SensVille. I'll be actively working so Untitled Life Sim 2 doesn't suffer from the same fate.
ETA: I'll avoid posting devblogs this time around until I get to a point where it's close to being playable.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#202 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 9:35 PM
So, while you've been thinking on what to make ( If you haven't dropped this already), I've been making this. Just as you are polishing your programming skills, I'm polishing my modeling ones. This is my second work in blender, and It's quite simplistic if you ask me ( amateur's doing).

I still need to see if this mesh can be properly animated.

If you do plan on continuing this project, I'm wondering what will it be, and If I can be of any help with it.
Scholar
#203 Old 8th Jan 2016 at 1:26 AM
I'm a little sad that you've decided to postpone the project, but it's probably for the best in the long run - I'm quite impressed at how far you came on your own in such a short span of time, it really is a promising little project. I think people need to adjust their expectations, though - look at a lot of the indie games being released today, they're all full of compromises, but that doesn't make them any less enjoyable or fun to play around with. Hopefully you'll return to this, or start another life sim project somewhere down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !

Page 9 of 9