Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 2:25 PM
Default What second aspiration would you generally pick for family oriented farmers/ fishing families, and why?
I'm working on a new hood which focus on sims living on the country side taking advantage of the natural resources and then eventually becoming a larger city. Im starting out creating a handful of farmers or "peasants" who focusing on farming (green and pets) and fishing. Almost all of them have family as primary aspiration, because family life is most important for these sims. But I keep debating which aspiration would suit best for their 2nd aspiration. They don't have regulare careers (except custom careers like selfemployed) so Im not sure about fortune and since these sims are family oriented, romance may be a bad idea....

In general, which second aspiration (if first one is family) would you choose, and why?
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 2:39 PM
I think I'd be happy to pick any really. I tend to view aspirations as a sim's general personality and the thing about personalities is that people often have the same or similar outlloks on life despite the particular situation they are born into. Even in heavily family-orientated societies (show me one that isn't btw), there are always some individuals who really aren't that interested in families. There are always people who are more social (popularity), are more interested in sex (romance), like finding out things (knowledge), money or material wealth (remember fortune is really about being better off, not necessarily about being rich), being stimulated and merry (pleasure) or just plain interested in food (cheese - yay). That reminds me that we really are missing Creative as an aspiration. What I'm saying, I guess, is that you are more likely to restrict yourself by only allowing a few aspirations in a given context, especially as humans, the thing being simulated, are very varied in any given situation. And anyway, it makes for more interesting stories.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Theorist
#3 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 2:40 PM
In that situation, I might pick Knowledge (they're experimenting with crop rotations and new agricultural techniques), Fortune (farmers like to make money too, you know!), or Popularity (there's often a sense of community in farming area, and sometimes farm tasks are an excuse for a party, like the barn raising parties that the Amish have).

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Inventor
#4 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 2:55 PM
Agreeing with Esmeiolanthe, I would most likely choose Knowledge.
That's what I always did, but I try to change my ways a bit.
And then indeed fortune or popularity comes in play. If you're chasing reality.
But you also could approach it a different way. Choosing an aspiration that might cause conflict in the gameplay or among the family.
Romance might then be inconventient, but also might surprise you with an entirely new interesting story.
A farmer that is more busy chasing other sims than to take care of his or her farm and get in trouble financially or family wise.
One aspiration I never chose and never will is the cheese aspiration. I don't see the point and don't even want to see the point in that one.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 2:56 PM
Maxon.
I am not restricting myself and was only trying to make this thread more general because everyone has different point of view when it comes to choosing aspiration, career, stories and such. I just dont want this thread to be too specific.

In my own hood(s), I prefer creating my founders based on a dominant aspiration and lifestyle. But that doesnt mean every single sim or offspring will have the exact same aspiration, Im just using its as a starting point and was only asking which aspiration other players find work better with country side "people", when it comes to wants, behavior and such. :P
Usually I tends to micromize everything but in this specfiic hood, I will let them choose many decisions themself and I think aspiration is one of the main aspect (along with personality) that make each sims decisions different.
Like, Would a romance sim be sucessful running a farm and does she/he even want to raise 4-6 kids? I imaging a lot of aspiration failures for this kind of farmer.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 3:01 PM
And you are misreading the use of 'yourself' there again Florentzina - I am using it in a general sense not to refer to you specifically. And my point of view is just the same - I think if you limit yourself (not you, anyone), you limit the potential for different story outcomes. As I am first and foremost a story-telling player this would be important to me. I don't regard any aspirations as being typically linked together.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 3:10 PM
Ermm, I do tends to read things more concretely and I've heard similare comments before (anywhere, not just MTS), so maybe I took it a bit personal..
Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 3:48 PM
I usually make my farmers Family/Popularity because they usually have a lot of children - and that means they roll a lot of wants to befriend their children, as well as close friends and in-laws / other family members.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Florentzina
Ermm, I do tends to read things more concretely and I've heard similare comments before (anywhere, not just MTS), so maybe I took it a bit personal..

S'okay - I know English isn't your first language - I'll try to make it more explicit in future.

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 5:34 PM
My farmers that have Family as their 1st aspiration usually have Knowledge, Fortune or Romance as their secondary aspiration.
But quite a few of my farmers also start out with Knowledge as their 1st aspiration with either Family or Fortune as secondary.

Family/Knowledge (or Knowledge/Family) are my favorite combo...they just fit so nicely into my style of game play.
I love big families and I love having them support themselves thru fishing and gardening. They tend to roll the wants that I like - having babies, learning, teaching, collecting badges, showing their families lots of love, etc.
They may or may not end up with a home business (what they grow/make will usually end up being sold in a "consignment" type deal thru one of my other family's business).

Family/Fortune I like because they tend to love families and want to grow their farms into more of a business. So, as long as they or one of their family members are making money, they tend to be happy.
They're the types who are more interested in becoming a major "Farmer's Market" type of farmer and will usually be the "consignment store" owner who will help my poor farmers with selling their goods.

Family/Romance - Ahh...now they're the type that couldn't care less on where they live or what they do for a living and fit quite nicely together just being a family.
The Romance side of them may or may not want to have babies and yet are quite happy once they do (I tend to think it's the fear of the labor that tends to give them the fear of having a baby lol). I find that they make very good parents and love being around their kids...always reading, playing, talking to them.
They're always quite happy to oblige the wife/husband/S.O. when they're ask to "give a little lovin'" and they don't mind the occasional public display of their love for their S.O. when given the chance. :D
They'll rarely own a home business (Romancer just isn't THAT trust-worthy to have others near him/her as far as I'm concerned) and will always have to go the consignment route if money is needed.

Fortune and Romance, for me, is only used as a secondary aspiration only because it's the way I find them to fit my kind of game play better.
I've never been able to like Popularity or Pleasure and have only played the Grilled Cheese one a few times.
Theorist
#12 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 5:59 PM
There is always the role of the dice option .. :D

Let random chance pick for you.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 6:00 PM
It depends on whether you want the secondary aspiration to be useful in terms of gameplay, or want it to give the sims more of a personality.

For usefulness, probably knowledge or popularity, IMO. Knowledge because they'll enjoy gaining badges, and want to teach the kids their toddler skills. Popularity for friendmaking within the family. Fortune can work if they get to sell their fruit and veggies directly from the tree / off the vine, or in a business, but not so much if they're going to save them to eat. Pleasure would probably be a bad idea, unless they have enough time for a daily dream date with their spouse - but then any aspiration will benefit from that.

If what you're looking for is more individuality, then choose different secondaries for different sims, or randomize. Look at their personality traits, too, their hobbies, and how they act when they're on free will. The nature hobby wants are going to be pretty frequent in any farming sim, but who says a family-minded farmer can't enjoy juggling bottles and jumping on the couch, or sitting down to a nice game of chess, or throwing a party? Who says they can't fantasize about having an affair, even if they never act on it?
Test Subject
#14 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 8:13 PM
You can also think of a Family/Romance pairing as a farmer who wants kids with many different partners. Maybe have them be in a Polyamorous relationship? It's always fun to explore different ways of playing the game, so having untraditional pairings for personality can be a good choice!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 9:38 PM
I keep saying we need to bring back the use of 'Thee' for English Second Person Singular on the internet and no one listens . . .

These are farming sims, but are they doing anything beyond farming? Are they selling their wares? Are they using just the game farming, or are you going full out with the Sun and Moon mods and Rebecah's mods and having them raise rabbits and whatnot, too? Some of those items build skills, so knowledge might be good. Fortune is good if they're selling their produce. Popularity helps with the wants to be friends with (or enemies with) the rest of the household. Romance isn't bad at all, a committed romance sim will roll lots of face romantic wants for their partner. I'd suggest that if you've never played one before just for the experience. Especially if you want big families. (Do you know how many places your sim can make a baby at? Your romance/family sim does, and will inform you via his want panel.)

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 10:05 PM
I like Family/Romance and use it a fair bit. To me that is a sim who is family orientated who wants their other half to continue being romantic; by going on dates, bringing them flowers or little gifts. I think people too often think Romance = Non committed sleep around sim. Not as secondary it isn't and even as primary it isn't always. That is limiting your (general your) imagination if that is all a person can think of.
The only one I don't use very often as secondary is grilled cheese. I find Grilled cheese takes over way too many want slots.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#17 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 10:40 PM
@Sunbee Bringing back "thee" wouldn't really help, because "thee" and "you" are exactly the same, only "thee" is informal where "you" is formal. What we need to revive is the Old English "ye," which referred to more than one person. (And which is still used that way in certain parts of England.) That would let me say "You shouldn't stick a fork in the electric socket," meaning that Sunbee specifically should not do such a thing, or I could say "Ye shouldn't stick a fork in the electric socket," meaning it would be a bad idea for anybody, even if they weren't named Sunbee.

And Jo is right about even primary Romance sims not always being the type to sleep around. I have one Romance sim who wakes up every morning with the Want to kiss his wife firmly in his Want panel, and who rolls wants for her throughout the day. He was also quite happy to help raise his sister-in-law (17 years younger than his wife, and therefore about 7 when he joined the family) and his daughter, helping with meal times and skill building and homework to the best of his ability. Every so often he'll roll the want to fall in love with another couple of people, but it usually goes away after a good meal or a nice nap. I figure he's more the rom-com type than the erotica type.

Mad Poster
#18 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
@Sunbee Bringing back "thee" wouldn't really help, because "thee" and "you" are exactly the same, only "thee" is informal where "you" is formal. What we need to revive is the Old English "ye," which referred to more than one person. (And which is still used that way in certain parts of England.) That would let me say "You shouldn't stick a fork in the electric socket," meaning that Sunbee specifically should not do such a thing, or I could say "Ye shouldn't stick a fork in the electric socket," meaning it would be a bad idea for anybody, even if they weren't named Sunbee.

I'm not a linguist, but I had always understood that thee and you worked like and was derived from the French (those pesky invaders) tu and vous, where vous is both plural and singular formal, and tu is intimate singular, never plural. Comment vous appelez vous? could be either what are (all of) your names? or what is your (just one of you) name?, but comment t'appelle tu is always what is your (just one of you) name? (Pardonnez-moi, if you speak French: my spelling is even worse in French than English.)

We could use 'all y'all', for plural, but that only makes sense to American English speakers, and not all of us, either. All y'all shouldn't stick forks in the electric outlets! But ye also works. We just need something--I've noticed that in spoken English it's almost always obvious from context but on internet threads the opportunity for confusion is immense.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Theorist
#19 Old 2nd Mar 2015 at 12:35 AM
So I did some reading on Wikipedia, and it looks like the plural of "thou" used to be "ye," then the plural became "you," and then "thou" dropped out of favor completely and the correct plural became irrelevant. In my personal dialect anyway, there's a distinction between "y'all," "you all," and "all y'all" which depends on the number of people in the room, and whether I can see them or not. :/

Mad Poster
#20 Old 2nd Mar 2015 at 1:02 AM
Yep, thee and thou. I study German and thou is the equivalent of du (informal singular you) which is super handy to remember word endings, because if you think of old English, like Shakespeare and the Bible, where the sentences are things like "thou dost" "thou shalt" "thou art" "thou goest" - German retains the -st ending for "du".

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#22 Old 2nd Mar 2015 at 6:55 AM
God should just tell people lol.

As for Creativity, I usually use Knowledge because it's so different depending on what you want knowledge about. I'd consider a Knowledge sim that was into say Music and Dance or Art as being creative.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 2nd Mar 2015 at 9:18 AM
Ah, sorry. I am not really up to speed with the different old(er) versions of English

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#24 Old 2nd Mar 2015 at 9:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
God should just tell people lol.

As for Creativity, I usually use Knowledge because it's so different depending on what you want knowledge about. I'd consider a Knowledge sim that was into say Music and Dance or Art as being creative.

I agree this is the compromise we have to use but knowledge aspiration and creativity are not the same thing. If I were a sim, I would be Creative/Knowledge (I'm both a musician (and a writer) and an academic (historian)). At times in my life I've been more Knowledge/Creative but the two fundamental impulses in my character are quite distinct. Of course you can be an academic and creative (dealing with ideas does need creative imagination) and an artist and knowledgeable (knowing stuff about the music I'm playing helps) and while one is complementary to the other, it's not necessary to have both (though you're likely to be a pretty crap academic without imagination). I still wish we had a specific Creative aspiration.

Mad Poster
#25 Old 2nd Mar 2015 at 10:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I agree this is the compromise we have to use but knowledge aspiration and creativity are not the same thing. If I were a sim, I would be Creative/Knowledge (I'm both a musician (and a writer) and an academic (historian)). At times in my life I've been more Knowledge/Creative but the two fundamental impulses in my character are quite distinct. Of course you can be an academic and creative (dealing with ideas does need creative imagination) and an artist and knowledgeable (knowing stuff about the music I'm playing helps) and while one is complementary to the other, it's not necessary to have both (though you're likely to be a pretty crap academic without imagination). I still wish we had a specific Creative aspiration.

Yeah, totally. What wants would you think a Creative aspiration would have?
Page 1 of 2