Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 8:22 PM
Default Create A World - Lazy Terrain Painting
In 2nd step of Create A World - Lazy Terrain Painting (Creases) from where exactly we export the image? In first step was from the autopaint but in the second step i have nothing to export they are all blnk cause the rest is painted from the default!
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 9:46 PM
I don't understand this. Are you talking about taking pictures from caw? If that's what you want, you need to take screenshots with printscreen button on your keyboard and paste it somewhere. At least that's how I do it. Unless you want to export heightmaps.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I don't understand this. Are you talking about taking pictures from caw? If that's what you want, you need to take screenshots with printscreen button on your keyboard and paste it somewhere. At least that's how I do it. Unless you want to export heightmaps.

Nope Im talking about this:
http://modthesims.info/t/443308
dodgy builder
#4 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 1:09 AM
I paint my worlds myself, but it seems to me you just repeat the process. I'm gessing you then actually need to have colors with different color depths to create shadows and heights in the terrain. That means you have to choose different textures or recolor the textures.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 6:55 AM
Terrain -> export heightmap exports the heightmap, i.e. the greyscale image of your world's ground elevation. This is for the first image in the tutorial.

To export the painted layer (the one called "Mountain" in the tutorial) go to Terrain -> Paint -> and choose the second layer:

The first layer will be all white because it's the base paint, the world is covered everywhere with it. The second paint layer is the one that CAW uses for autopaint.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Norn
Terrain -> export heightmap exports the heightmap, i.e. the greyscale image of your world's ground elevation. This is for the first image in the tutorial.

To export the painted layer (the one called "Mountain" in the tutorial) go to Terrain -> Paint -> and choose the second layer:

The first layer will be all white because it's the base paint, the world is covered everywhere with it. The second paint layer is the one that CAW uses for autopaint.

Yup I did this ,the part that confused me is in the second step the "creases" part from where i export the image ?

That's the hardest bit done, now I'm gonna pick out the creases of the mountains. with some darker rock. So in CAW make a new layer called creases, or whatever you like. Pick a darker texture than the mountains, I'm gonna use martine_grass_medium_detail.dds as it goes with my lawn base. And then it's the same deal as before, export the layers texture map from CAW and open it in photoshop along with your main heightmap. And again, copy the heightmap into the creases png. You can flatten the image at this point as we wont be messing around with layers.

I know in the first step the "mountains" layer was from autopaint but in second step it doesnt says...
dodgy builder
#7 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 12:05 PM
Paintlayers goes in layers on top of each other, så try autopainting again. I hope you fo this in a backup?
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 12:10 PM
I would assume you use the same two maps again (and again in the third step), you work on them on different layers in photoshop with different settings each. And re-import them to different texture layers (in the tutorial: darker grass and lighter rock layers).

You only have those two maps at this point.
dodgy builder
#9 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 1:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Norn
I would assume you use the same two maps again (and again in the third step), you work on them on different layers in photoshop with different settings each. And re-import them to different texture layers (in the tutorial: darker grass and lighter rock layers).

You only have those two maps at this point.

Yes well, I say hen should have textures for shadow and highlight. At least 3. It looks like masks to me, or just blending.

If there is only 2 maps then there is no reason to make another layer?
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 1:56 PM
Maybe we need to make sure we mean the same things.

Maps = I mean greyscale png images you export from CAW. One is the world's height map and the other is the opacity map for the autopainted terrain layer.

Textures = different textures you add in CAW to different terrain layers for terrain painting. Like textures for rock, sand, lighter rock, darker or lighter grass etc.

You can use the same maps in photoshop with different settings to create new maps for the different texture layers in CAW by using the gradients/filters/brigthness etc. tools in photoshop (or whatever tool you use). For the different settings you would need different layers in photoshop and would only export that layer as new map. I usually make an entirely new file to avoid accidentally overwriting settings for different maps.

(Sorry if this not helpful, English is not my native language either. I guess there are more proper English terms for these things....)
dodgy builder
#11 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 4:05 PM
I guess I have to try it. At the moment I'm busy trying to find ITF/LunarLakes' white seawalls so I can recolor them. Perhaps you know what they are called in the fullbuilds or even the worldfile?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 21st Jul 2018 at 7:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I guess I have to try it.

I am like you that I think I should look into this but it is low priority, and I probably can paint the world manually faster than figuring this out! LOL
dodgy builder
#13 Old 21st Jul 2018 at 2:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I am like you that I think I should look into this but it is low priority, and I probably can paint the world manually faster than figuring this out! LOL

Oh yes, totally. What I do myself will look much better as well.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 9:23 AM
Thank you guys for your help!!!
I think i have to autopaint and extract again befor every step,as volvenom told me if im right,so ill let yo know when ill try it