Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Aug 2011 at 7:33 PM
Custom Apartment Shells?
I've been searching the web and the forums here for a while but can't seem to find if there is any information on making custom apartment shells. I am happy to create my own as I can do the 3D modeling just fine, but am unsure if there is a way to export out of (3ds max for example) and have new buildings as a usable shells in the game where I can build out residence and other community lots using the custom shells.

Any thoughts?

Also, has anyone successfully been able to make custom world items (objects, trees, billboards, etc that you would have to use CAW for)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 28th Aug 2011 at 11:49 PM
For the first answer, I suggest you try cloning one of the apartment shells in S3OC and modifying it. As far as I know, no one has bothered doing it. I think there is a lot more associated with apartment shells than the initial mesh. But that would be the way to do it.

For your second question, the answer is slightly less complex.

In theory, it works.. the whole making custom CAW objects. You are aware that people have enabled in-game objects for world creation? People have even recoloured objects like trees and such for use in CAW.

If you enable your custom CC framework, you'll find that if you enable the object using S3PE, it should work. Not entirely sure if there are any issues with this, but.. it has been done before.

I didn't see you there. Hello. *runs* | Visit my CFF World thread
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Aug 2011 at 1:38 AM
kaoticsims, further to what TVR said, there are lots of custom items and modded in-game items in the resources section you could look at:
http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=625

A little tutorial for modding items to show up in CAW here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=453818

I'm sure someone was doing some testing with making custom shells, but I can't remember who or where! Does anyone else know?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2011 at 1:09 AM
thank you guys for replying on this. I'm attempting to make some custom shells now, though so far I've had little luck. Will update if anything comes of my efforts.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 8:15 AM
I dearly hope you'll find out how to make them, it'd be revolutionary! Is anyone else tired of the same boring default shells, like I am?

"It's written amazingly well... but if you don't take out the part that says, "I don't care if you kill L", I'll die." -L Lawliet
Instructor
#6 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 8:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lennon7777777
I dearly hope you'll find out how to make them, it'd be revolutionary! Is anyone else tired of the same boring default shells, like I am?

I am.

As a work-around, you don't have to use the shells. You can even use CFE to make buildings very tall, though you will still be limited to 5 usable floors.
Test Subject
#7 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 1:11 AM
^I've been using this method to create a fantastic variety of styles of skyscrapers to be used in an upcoming project I am going to be working on. Not only can you make buildings much taller than those already made for the game, but the variety with a little creativity really adds a dynamic to any city that the pre made buildings cannot ever add. Plus the cities feel quite undense when using the pre made buildings. Being able to build right up to the sidewalk in exactly the manner you want is key to making a realistic feeling city.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#8 Old 13th Sep 2011 at 7:59 AM
I found some custom apartment shells on m3sb actually. Or at least that's what it looked like they were. And there were screenshots showing a furnished apartment inside, so I guess at least someone has cracked it.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 11th Jul 2017 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I found some custom apartment shells on m3sb actually. Or at least that's what it looked like they were. And there were screenshots showing a furnished apartment inside, so I guess at least someone has cracked it.

What is "M3SB" exactly? When searching on Google (even with "Sims 3") I get a lot of scientific research notes from universities and labs...
dodgy builder
#10 Old 11th Jul 2017 at 9:55 AM
Mysims3blog apparently. A google brought up comments where they call themselves by that name.