Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 3:40 PM
Default Make your own sized maps ?
Is it possible to make your own map size so that its not as big as 2048 but not as small as 1024? Not sure if its possible so thought id ask here
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 4:15 PM
I have never heard of it. Use larger than you think you will need if any doubt so you can expand later if needed IMO. Once locked into a size you are locked into it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 5:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I have never heard of it. Use larger than you think you will need if any doubt so you can expand later if needed IMO. Once locked into a size you are locked into it.

Yeah i have started something on a larger map its just it will have some empty spaces XD
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 5:57 PM
Yes, that is possible. University map is 1536x1536 for example. I'm not sure if you can just import a png height map of that size or how to do it, or if there are any risks. But it is possible.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
Yes, that is possible. University map is 1536x1536 for example. I'm not sure if you can just import a png height map of that size or how to do it, or if there are any risks. But it is possible.

Thats good to know its possible, now i just wanna know how to do it XD
dodgy builder
#6 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 9:10 PM
I accidentily read something about it. I crossed the subjekt while googling for something else. I'm on my phone now, but you could try googling yourself.

I must say I was quite surpriced, but there was a problem with it I think. I don't remember what.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 9:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I accidentily read something about it. I crossed the subjekt while googling for something else. I'm on my phone now, but you could try googling yourself.

I must say I was quite surpriced, but there was a problem with it I think. I don't remember what.

I have tried searching on google but didn't find anything, maybe I'm not wording it right or something XD
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 9:44 PM
well i got super happy when i found i might not even have to make one...but the links broken http://ts3cc.canadian-forum.com/t14...ntain-creations
Edit: Its not broken ...i just didnt see how quick it downloaded..welp i now have 3 XD ahaha, if this turns out well i'll post something here :D
Mad Poster
#9 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 12:51 PM
Good find! Let us know how it goes.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 2:06 AM
If you create a new map you can choose between a couple of (standard) heigtmaps -> You've got "Tiny" "Small" "Medium" and "Large" (from small to large)...
Tiny=256x256
Small=512x512
Medium=1024x1024
Large=2048x2048

By opening a heigtmap your new world will have that size... Creating a heigtmap with different dimensions is possible (as long as it's a square) BUT I won't recommend it (Sims seems to get some bugs when I tried)

If creating a own heigtmap I suggest copying an original and edit the copy...

Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 Create A World Tool/UserToolData/HeightMaps/
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 8:56 AM Last edited by Vincent T. : 4th Jun 2017 at 9:24 AM.
So, I tried this.

For time saving reasons I used a height map found on the internet.
Opened a premade EA height map, imported custom height map. saved as 16-bit png, with changed size 1536x1536. Created new world in caw with this png as heightmap, world height 300. Added some objects and a lot, did some basic photoshop painting.
Added pic, name and description.
Saving went fine.
Exported, loaded in game - looks good!

So, I would think as long as you stick with Richdre's finds in auntielynds post (i.e. use multiples of 256 for world size) it should work fine. Chunk size is 256, so this makes perfect sense.
And as some EA worlds use 1536, too, I don't think that there would be game breaking issues with it.

[edit] And for science sake , I used the same map, resized it to 768x768. Same result (only smaller). Seems to be working! Of course, I just let the game clock run for a short time. Proper testing would require a fully built town of course, but I'm afraid I don't have time for that

Screenshots
dodgy builder
#12 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 12:19 PM
I'm wondering, with the help of some program it's possible to take a heightmap from some set place on earth, import it to photoshop and size it right and then take it into caw. You do the painting in Photoshop as well? I could make some maps from my country that way. It wouldn't look that well, but could be a timesaver.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 12:35 PM
@Volvenom This is perfectly possible, in fact, this is what I did. I took a random height map from some place and worked with that. As long as you save the png-file with the proper settings it should work fine.
dodgy builder
#14 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 12:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
@Vincent T This is perfectly possible, in fact, this is what I did. I took a random height map from some place and worked with that. As long as you save the png-file with the proper settings it should work fine.

What program did you use? I used a program for making maps for cities skylines some time ago, but I don't remember the name of it.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 1:00 PM
I didn't use any program, I just snatched a random png from the internet. I think you can use any program you want, as long as you can save the results as a .png with the required settings. Or transform the map-file into png with paint, gimp, photoshop or whatever.
dodgy builder
#16 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 1:44 PM
I did some googling myself and suddenly I remembered: http://terrain.party/
Mad Poster
#17 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 1:53 PM
I remember reading that some folks were using real height maps for CAW. Now that there is any easy way to adjust the world size that would be a lot easier. This will be interesting to follow.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 1:57 PM
This looks like a great tool, thanks!
dodgy builder
#19 Old 4th Jun 2017 at 2:17 PM
Now I remember having walked this way before.

Why do I have my Bergen map on only half the available map? Anyone?
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 6th Jun 2017 at 12:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Now I remember having walked this way before.

Why do I have my Bergen map on only half the available map? Anyone?

Same occured by me when I made my own heigtmaps... The trick/solution I found = edit the original heigtmaps (in the jpg is extra data for Sims3).

All the maps I made from scratch had this problem
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 6th Jun 2017 at 1:08 PM
I would think that the settings for the png are not correct. It needs to be a specific bit-depth (16-bit greyscale). It also needs to be compressed to full (background) layer, not just "a" layer in photoshop. EA heightmaps don't use the Adobe colour scheme (at least that's what Photoshop tells me if I open an EA height map there). So use the embedded colour scheme. Did you start with an EA height map to which you imported your map?

Also, RL maps often are way too detailed for CAW, they look more like a seismograph's output during an earthquake if you import them into caw.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 6th Jun 2017 at 1:11 PM
I assume map sizes need to be sized between 256x256 and 2048x2048? Larger won't be possible? And 1px = 1m, right?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 6th Jun 2017 at 1:44 PM
Not sure about the scale, I would assume that it's much bigger. But I don't think that there is a fixed ratio for that. Map size should be 256x256 or multiples thereof (512x512, 1024x1024, 1280x1280, 1536x1536; 1792x1792). I personally wouldn't make it larger, for performance reasons alone. Not sure if there would be technical issues with it.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 6th Jun 2017 at 1:56 PM
I'm sure performance wouldn't be a problem if the map was spread-out and had few lots on it.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
dodgy builder
#25 Old 6th Jun 2017 at 3:21 PM
I imported an EA map and tried using it's setup for a new file. Next I think I should use the EA map as a background layer and put the new one on top and then merge them. I used 1536 I think it was. I also tried using different bits like 8, but the result was the same. It turns out EA used the same bits as the one I imported. I didn't have to change anything. I had a question about dots as well, I checked that as well.
Page 1 of 2