Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 7:41 PM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 16th Feb 2018 at 1:09 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default UC crashing, mostly community lot (Windows 10 1709 issue)
update 2/15/2018 - several simmers have found the UC noCD exe runs much better WITHOUT compatibility mode, stops crashing, stops flashing pink

post update 1/30/2018
===================

noCD exe works, Origin exe does not
The noCD exe works for me with the setup detailed in the 1/28/2018 update below.
Sometimes it flashes pink but there's workarounds, see below.
I have never gotten the Origin exe to work right, ever.

I have not yet tested at nice high resolutions nor with nice big amounts of cc.

how to fix flashing pink soup
This mostly happens to me on community lots with many sims and many neighbor lots being rendered.

* ingame graphics settings, set texture to medium, then back to high, this forces the game to reload textures

* reduce demands on the gpu and on texture memory
--- graphics: set lighting to medium
--- graphics: set graphics effects to medium
--- graphics: turn reflections off unless you want to look in mirrors
--- game: set neighbor view distance to medium or small
--- game: set fade distance to medium or small
--- game: turn off neighborhood decorations
--- game: can get drastic and just turn neighbors off, they won't be rendered at all

----------------------

post updated 1/28/2018
This is what currently works for me, although I do get a bit of flashing pink.
At least I can play on a community lot for days of game time without crashing.
I'm still investigating making it not flash as much or making it work with the Origin UC exe.

* I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, update 1709 (the one that breaks games)
* I have an NVidia GeForce 1060 GTX 6mb graphics card
* I have an i7-700 dual core 3.6GHz cpu

* I use a noCD exe, have never gotten the Origin UC exe to work, whether launched from Origin or the desktop
* noCD exe shorcut has these properties
*** -w for windowing
*** -CPUCount:1 - does not appear necessary unless there's graphics lag
*** run as admin
*** XP service pack 2 compatibility - 2/15/2018 DO NOT USE COMPATIBILITY MODE
*** full screen 'optimization' disabled (most likely not needed since I run windowed and seems to make no difference)

* I changed my graphics rules sgr and video cards sgr
*** allow the graphics driver to manage its own memory
*** set texture memory size to the dedicated memory value from display devices in dxdiag
*** screen resolution changed to match my screen, but I'm testing at 800x600

* I uninstalled my nvidia graphics driver with guru3d DDU, then manually installed it myself, custom install, clean install
I'm using driver version 390.65, have tried a few earlier ones, 37x, 38x, seems to make no difference

* I test with no cc whatsoever
* I sometimes nuke the Neigbhorhoods folder and test with fresh hoods to be sure corruption is not the issue (not more than what EA shipped)

* in game graphics settings: lighting set to medium (with high, I get way to much pink flashing and noCD crashes)

- - - - - -

NOTE: 1/29/2018 - I am currently experimenting with removing background video recording for games.
I have already uninstalled GeForce Experience so I won't have ShadowPlay. I am trying to change the registry
and maybe uninstall the xboxapp to get rid of Windows Game Bar and Game DVR. Disabling them is not sufficient.
If you want to record game clips and/or take screenshots, look into OBS and Fraps.

OBS Studio - https://obsproject.com/

Fraps - http://www.fraps.com/

[edit] Removing Game DVR by disabling, hacking the registry, and uninstalling xboxapp in powershells did NOT help.
Undoing those changes later was a pain in the butt. Seems Game DVR was probably not my issue, it's something else
in Windows 1709 and probably Origin too.

=================================================
old stuff, read newer stuff above
-------------------------------------------------

My Ultimate Collection keeps crashing, usually when travelling to a community lot but very occasionally at home too.

[edit] Still crashing when a sim spends time on a community lot. And once when in neighborhood view when changing from Settings view to main menu view.

* no CC in Downloads and CC disabled to boot, no CEP even
* fresh neighborhood (removed Neighborhoods folder, regenerated neighborhood)
* Ultimate Collection, updated from Origin
* Windows 10 system, 64 bit, Win 10 Pro OS
* NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb, latest driver according to NVidia experience, from 1/8/2018
* windowed mode -w, and CPU throttling -CPUCount:1 on shortcut
* compatibility mode for XP service pack 2 and running as Admin
* NVidia Gefore 1060 6gb, using leefish nvidia txtr fix file with tweak to allow sim shadows but I have turned off shadows in game
* config log says hardware rendering is on, card found in database, using Kiri's 1744 memory fix, high settings, no dual card
* I did remove the TM from the Documents folder, edited the registry to use the folder with no TM,
game seems to find all its files far as I can tell, was crashing before I removed the TM

I have not yet tried the 4gb fix. Did that help folks who were having crashes? I can see the game running out of memory and crashing but how is it filling up 2gb of memory just sending Nina Caliente to Commandogo??? How is it crashing just switching from Settings view to Main Menu view in neighborhood view? I did do that shortly after adding 3 unis, downtown, and bluewater to pleasantville but was that too taxing for the game? Is it graphics settings after all? I'm really out of ideas here. :/

I have not tried playing at 800x600 with yucky low graphics settings. Can try that and if there's no crash, then the graphics are overtaxing the game. But if I can't play at reasonable res with high graphics settings, what's the point? Don't mind me grumping, I am grateful to all for the help. Anyone have anything else to try?

======================================================================
ignore old stuff below this line
======================================================================
[edit] I did uninstall regular Sims 2 before downloading UC.

* got the graphics and videocards sgr files from leefish, using the NVidia texture fix one since I have an NVidia card
with the 32 memory thing. Put both files in both places they should go, Fun With Pets, Config and CsConfig
I have an NVidia GeForce GTX 1060, is that a bad card?
[edit2] config log file attached, looks like it is using kiri's texture fix thingie

* playing at a resolution below 1920x1080

* throttled down to 1 CPU by adding -CPUCount:1
I have an Intel i7-7700 dual core 3600 clockspeed on both processors, so beefy enough for Sims 2 high res and high detail, right?
(Sims thinks it's 5040 but it ain't, just Sims being confused in its config log)

* no high level sim shadows, sim shadows are totally off, not that I think black squares caused the crashes.
Tried Nopke's mod for fixing shadows by using the tree shadow renderer when I had shadows high and on but I still had black squares.
So no black squares, just crashes, separate issue.

* tried disabling cc, although I have barely any right now, a few desks, a handful of mods, world's most pitifully small DL folder,
just started again, it's really almost no cc, still crashes with cc disabled although maybe less? (I need to test more).
The crashes are on community lots and I have the community lot hobby magazine autonomy fix, pets pee on bushes, and everyday wear for tai-chi.
Can't think of any others I have right now that might maybe affect community lot behavior.

I have Community Time. I had some crashes before I put it in but most of the crashes are on community lots. I did not try going to community lots
before I got Community Time. I'm not sure if I can just remove Community Time files without borking something. Game keeps crashing with cc off.
I just don't know enough about community time tokens or where they're stored or if they might be causing crashes in UC.

I am NOT playing in compatibility mode. Should I be? Which one?
[edit 3] Someone said EA said to try WinXP SP2? Anyone doing that? Did it help? I'll try that next, after building a snowman with the child...

I have NOT done scandisk nor defrag yet. It's an almost new desktop. I've barely used it. I could defrag but it's just going to frag
itself up again after I use it some, right? I'm going to try that next but I don't have high hopes. It had about 100GB free when I
installed UC, pristine disk space really, I didn't have bunches of stuff installed/uninstalled so it can't have been that fragged.

[edit 4] Seems defrag is weekly on Windows 10 and super easy too. Just did it, disks were fine, still are fine.

I have NOT removed SecuROM. I know MTS won't advise about noCD versions (even for legally owned games)
so I'll just ask if it's possible to play with SecuROM in place. I did actually get a noCD file for the first time in my life.
I own all the CDs, I got UC legally by calling EA's support. The noCD version hasn't done a thing to reduce the crashes
but I have not removed SecuROM before using it so maybe I'm doing it wrong. Again, not asking for help with noCD,
just asking if untampered will work. Crashes whether I use the untampered game or the cracked game.
SecuROM isn't even compatible with Win10, right? So is it just sitting there being benignly useless or is it borking stuff up?

Any help greatly appreciated. I just want to make some cc again, it's been years too long since I made any! And maybe get Brandi Broke
some groceries before her family starves due to crashes while grocery shopping. They can't afford delivery so you folks are those sims' only hope!
I could cheat and get her funds but would really rather play with no crashes and be able to go to community lots.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  DESKTOP-RS9NLHM-config-log.zip (3.2 KB, 38 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  CrashLogs.zip (4.6 KB, 24 downloads) - View custom content

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 8:38 PM
Good to see somebody wants to make more cc Hi, Cat - I have used UC since it came out (first on Windows 7) and then on Windows 10 from the start; and it does work. I use a Nvidia card as well - mine is a 650 something).

The latest UC update actually removes SecuROM completely since it does not work on Windows 10 (See http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603256 for general discussion and also here on Leefish: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8221).

I would try that first since some people seem to have problems with that.

I play in compatibility mode for Windows 8, but I believe XP works as well. See the article in my signature for more info.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 10:02 PM
Hi Cat. :D

So I take it the crash is random and while you are playing? or does the crash come when you are trying to do something specific or when loading a comm lot?
Lots crashing on loading is generally due to CC and turning it off isn't a good way to test, you need to make a full back up and pull it all then test. You need to see if it crashes with all CC gone and that includes any cc in saved sims. Do you have a camera mod? I would also switch that back. I tried a sim view in lot camera once and that crashed my game as soon as I tried to use it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 10:31 PM
I agree with Jo and should have added that problems with the UC is very often (and every time in my own game) solved by taking the same steps than with the normal disk game - a 50/50 has solved all mine. I will keep an eye on this thread if you have more questions
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 10:41 PM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 16th Jan 2018 at 11:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Good to see somebody wants to make more cc Hi, Cat - I have used UC since it came out (first on Windows 7) and then on Windows 10 from the start; and it does work. I use a Nvidia card as well - mine is a 650 something).

The latest UC update actually removes SecuROM completely since it does not work on Windows 10 (See http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603256 for general discussion and also here on Leefish: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8221).

I would try that first since some people seem to have problems with that.

I play in compatibility mode for Windows 8, but I believe XP works as well. See the article in my signature for more info.

I updated UC from Origin (right click, update, wait for update to finish).
Changed to Windows 8 compatibility mode.
Tried running it, was tiny resolution again, crashed before I got into the neighborhood (worse behavior than before).

It seemed to have nuked the .sgr graphics and videocard files from leefish so I reinstalled those (backed up originals first).
It also changed the shortcut on my desktop somehow. I had to put back -w and -CPUCount:1 so I did that.
Reinstalled .sgr files. Ran the game again, now in a small window, but it crashed while trying to open the neighborhood again.

Still reading the threads you linked to and I appreciate the help. Will post again after trying some more things...

--------------------------------------

edit: I have the updated UC, compatibility for Windows 8, tried troubleshooting, said game was not displaying correctly, Windows did something with DPI settings, now the neighborhood loads, but the game still crashes on community lots like before the UC update. I only did the one troubleshoot, I'll try more...
I'm also updating my NVidia driver, for what that's worth. Maybe it will help? Will post more after more tests... Also, my shadow settings are grayed out again. :/ Shadows are off, that's fine, but I can't turn them back on and I may want to at some point. Ugh, Windows. Thank goodness for the Sims community.

Forgot to add, I am running Sims as administrator, from the desktop shortcut that uses Origin. The -w works on that, it's windowed, but the I do compatibility troubleshooting, it seems to not want to be windowed.

Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 12:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Hi Cat. :D

So I take it the crash is random and while you are playing? or does the crash come when you are trying to do something specific or when loading a comm lot?
Lots crashing on loading is generally due to CC and turning it off isn't a good way to test, you need to make a full back up and pull it all then test. You need to see if it crashes with all CC gone and that includes any cc in saved sims. Do you have a camera mod? I would also switch that back. I tried a sim view in lot camera once and that crashed my game as soon as I tried to use it.

The crash almost always happens on community lots. Sometimes when trying to go to the lot. Sometimes I manage to arrive, but after spending a bit of time on the lot, the game crashes.
[edit] I keep testing with the same lots too. Sometimes Commandgo Emporium lets me arrive, sometimes I can't even get there.

Dumb question but how do I make a full backup? All hood folders and what else? I'll go see if this is in the wiki... I know 50/50. That's remove the entire Downloads folder and see if the problem clears up. Then put half back in, see if it happens again. If it does, remove a quarter, see if it disappears, Rinse and repeat until the culprit is isolated. Unless it's two files interacting in which case try different combos of cc. Do I understand that correctly? Actually remove the DL folder, then add it back and put back cc a bit at a time?

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 12:48 AM
I would make a full backup. I do that by clicking the sims 2 folder, selecting copy then paste to the desktop. I suggest a full one because yanking the download folder can cause the Super Hug to become active and if you have any NPC mods pulling them out causes corruption. Another option is to make a 'do not pull' folder and into that place no sim loaded +smarter EP check along with any NPC mods that you might have and remove the rest of your downloads. Only unless you know for sure what you have you could easily miss an npc. Once you have found the bad file you can remove it from your backup, delete your test sims 2 folder and replace the backup sims 2 folder back into your EA Game folder.

Once you have a backup test with no cc in at all. If you get no crashes then you know for sure it's something in the Download folder if it still crashes then it's possible it's your install. I would still check things that you added to your install though before reinstalling. That should always be the last option since uninstalling itself can cause issues by leaving files behind.

If the crashing only just started after adding a new piece of cc try pulling that first. You can do a sort by date.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 1:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I would make a full backup. I do that by clicking the sims 2 folder, selecting copy then paste to the desktop. I suggest a full one because yanking the download folder can cause the Super Hug to become active and if you have any NPC mods pulling them out causes corruption. Another option is to make a 'do not pull' folder and into that place no sim loaded +smarter EP check along with any NPC mods that you might have and remove the rest of your downloads. Only unless you know for sure what you have you could easily miss an npc. Once you have found the bad file you can remove it from your backup, delete your test sims 2 folder and replace the backup sims 2 folder back into your EA Game folder.

Once you have a backup test with no cc in at all. If you get no crashes then you know for sure it's something in the Download folder if it still crashes then it's possible it's your install. I would still check things that you added to your install though before reinstalling. That should always be the last option since uninstalling itself can cause issues by leaving files behind.

If the crashing only just started after adding a new piece of cc try pulling that first. You can do a sort by date.

My cc is always sorted into folders. Anything that changes NPCs would be in my hacks folder. I mostly have desks and dressers right now, a few mods in hacks. MLC's iSim computer. I'll pull the buy mode stuff and then see what happens. I don't know what the Super Hug is but I probably don't want it. I am not that invested in the hoods I have right now. Only playing one hood, one household, and it's fine if I lose it. How would I restore a pristine version of the hood if that hood or lot got corrupted? Any way to recreate a starting state hood?

Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 1:42 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 17th Jan 2018 at 1:57 AM.
See question in previous post about restoring a hood to unplayed state, can it be done?
If I uninstall Ultimate Collection, is it gone forever or can I reinstall from Origin?
Would I have to call EA again to get it back if I uninstalled it? I'm getting desperate enough to try that.

After pulling all cc except CEP out of Downloads, the game still crashes when traveling to community lots.
The game asked me to do a reset on one of my sims. I'm guessing it's because I pulled Community Time
so her Community Time token went away. She's the one I was testing with, sending her to Commandgo Downtown.
After the reset, she traveled there as usual, game crashed after spending some time on the community lot.
Recap below.

* Ultimate Collection, updated on Origin
* using leefish Nvidia texture fix .sgr files
* updated NVidia driver today (do I need to reboot after doing this? I'll reboot...)
* running as admin, shortcut properties, both Shortcut tab, Advanced, and Compatibility Mode tab have 'run as admin' checked
* running in Win 8 compatibility mode
* running the file from Origin, not a noCD crack
* can change resolution just fine, can run in a window just fine
* I usually delete cache files between crashes

Still crashing on community lots. Any ideas?

Anyone here who could make sense of my most recent config and crash log files? I attached them if that helps.
The config log says I'm using the leefish sgr files, has lines with 'kiri' in them. The object crash log is about the sim, Nina,
that is now missing her Community Time token, but seemed fine after the reset. The third file is my most recent crash log.
I know what call stacks and state dumps are but can't make heads or tails of the one in the file since I don't know any of
those codes and am not familiar with the calls in the Sims.

-----------------

edit: I installed Ultimate Collection for the first time ever about two days ago. Does that mean I had the updated version right from the start?
The update didn't seem to take that long but it did do something since the leefish .sgr files got overwritten by it and I had to put them in again.
So did I have the old version of Ultimate Collection two days ago? If so, it put SecuROM on my machine, right? Now the updated version doesn't
use SecuROM so does it matter if SecuROM is on my machine or not? So confused now, think I may need some sleep.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  error_logs.zip (19.8 KB, 10 downloads) - View custom content

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 2:22 AM
1) yes the hoods are in the installation files. if you want the EA hoods. They all come shipped pre corrupted though.
2)With the UC always try repair first. Go into Origin, right click,select repair. make a backup first though as this kind of acts like a new installation and will wipe some things.Since you did this check that all the file such as your graphics rules are still intact. I don't have the UC so I am not sure about what it deletes. I don't believe that you need to reinstall since repair works the same way.

Can you try win7 compatibility?

Have you tried a defrag and a an optimise, that worked one time for me, but my computer is old it needed them.
Hopefully someone who can read error logs will be along.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 9:02 AM Last edited by Justpetro : 17th Jan 2018 at 9:17 AM.
Get the UC working on your pc first : I suggest that you remove all the cc that can safely be removed as well, Cat. Once it works, I suggest adding the cc in groups, not all at once.

Try running it in compatibility mode for XP. It definitely works for some players on Windows 10, so it is worth it. (that is what I also used on Windows 7 since Sims 2 was not compatible with Windows 7, both UC and disks).

Don't ever think that repair should be tried first (I don't agree with Jo as to that) - The reason: A repair fixes or puts back some game files, yes, but it has no effect on your cc in your downloads folder. All my problems have been in cc and not in the UC when it came to crashing.Some players do need to put the graphic changes back, as well as camera mods and, in my case, I also need to download a brand new copy of the CEP.

Going back to a maxis version, you need to remove the sims 2 uc folder, generate a new one by starting the game and then repair it - repair will not change any hoods that you have emptied if you use a current game folder. Redo all the graphic changes after this, add a new copy of the CEP and reinstall your camera mod. (If you want to start all over, this is the way to do it).

Graphic rules: make sure that both the files are in both the Config and CSConfig folder, not only in one. I have used the file on Leefish here:http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446 (Nvidia Texture Fix Rar). (The program did not work on my system, I had to do it by hand).

No need to run the game from Origin The update will have removed securom (if it was still there when you downloaded the UC the first time).If you want to check if SecuRom is on your machine, here are the steps:http://leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6688 (I expect it to be gone, though).(It does not crash the game, just slow down the build and buy catalogs on some systems).

The Store Edition does not work with UC - it can be forced to work, but it always leads to problems.

I can assure you that once you get the UC working, it runs as smooth as butter Strongs!

Edit: Jo - just to clarify: when UC was released, a repair would put everything back (eg. the bin Sims, etc) - but an update has changed that. Everything a player has added in the game folder now stays there - so a repair will not fix anything there. Changes to the program files - not all of them - mostly remain as well.

Edit: I am travelling home tomorrow - should be back online in 2 days. I will try to pop back in here before I pack up my pc
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 3:35 PM
Thank you everyone. Let me make sure I have this right.

1) I don't need to uninstall UC, right? If I did uninstall UC, would I be able to reinstall it? Is it a one time only download?
If I uninstall and reinstall UC, I have to update it again or not?

2) remove the UC folder from Documents, the whole folder

3) repair UC from Origin (does repair only affect game data, not the Fun With Pets exe? is the correct order update, then repair?)

4) Write a batch file to put stuff back, like graphics rules, CEP, camera mods, maybe catalog mods, any other stuff that can't just be plopped in Downloads.

5) optionally nuke SecuROM from orbit using instruction on leefish

6) test that UC works

7) put back cc in small batches
Is it not safe to assume that any cc that worked fine before UC will still work fine?
I had all EPs and SPs and the cc was for the most recent EP/SP

Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 6:59 PM
What, exactly, does Origin repair do? It didn't give me fresh, unplayed neighborhoods like I hoped.
How do I get a fresh, unplayed EA neighborhoods back without having to uninstall/reinstall the entire game?
I suspect something in the neighborhood maybe got corrupted so nothing I do will fix that.

Scholar
#14 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 7:23 PM
Origin repair replaces the files back to their original installation state. You can install fixed hoods from (insert website i cant find atm, someone help me out) which are fixed to not be as corrupty. If you want the original ones, you can remove the Neighborhoods folder from your Documents/The Sims 2 (tm) Ultimate Collection/Neighborhoods.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 10:07 PM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 17th Jan 2018 at 10:19 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by alljoj
Origin repair replaces the files back to their original installation state. You can install fixed hoods from (insert website i cant find atm, someone help me out) which are fixed to not be as corrupty. If you want the original ones, you can remove the Neighborhoods folder from your Documents/The Sims 2 (tm) Ultimate Collection/Neighborhoods.

You and joandsarah both mentioned the EA hoods are corrupted. I posted a WCIF thread about fixed hoods. I'll post here if something turns up.
[edit] I should have started with some googling. Is this a good one to use?
https://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html

I'm still confused about what repair does. It did NOT do anything to my hoods as far as I can tell. So it just restores what, graphics rules and camera files and such? Does repair overwrite the Fun With Pets game executable? Do I have to do update again after repair or not? So confused.

Space Pony
#16 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 10:13 PM Last edited by Kukamuukaanmuka : 17th Jan 2018 at 10:15 PM. Reason: typoes :/
I used to have similar issues, tho it was on win 8.1 , but still. And I do use UC .

I had almost 98% of all communitylot visits ending to a crash. Sometimes right at the loading, sometimes after sim had been there from some sim minutes to couple of sim hours.

My problem was solved by following an old topic at GOS :
http://gardenofshadows.org.uk/garde...1&topic=21931.0

For the first part (CFF) is outdated, 4gb Patch will do the same (posted on the post #60 in that topic) , just use the patch to your Sims2EP9.exe (make a backup first).
I do not remember did I do the second part, maybe, but anyhow my game stopped chrashing.

I have no idea does this help, but I did read this full topic and did not saw any mentioning about have you used the 4gb patch or not

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#17 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 4:11 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 19th Jan 2018 at 1:44 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Kukamuukaanmuka
I used to have similar issues, tho it was on win 8.1 , but still. And I do use UC .

I had almost 98% of all communitylot visits ending to a crash. Sometimes right at the loading, sometimes after sim had been there from some sim minutes to couple of sim hours.

My problem was solved by following an old topic at GOS :
http://gardenofshadows.org.uk/garde...1&topic=21931.0

For the first part (CFF) is outdated, 4gb Patch will do the same (posted on the post #60 in that topic) , just use the patch to your Sims2EP9.exe (make a backup first).
I do not remember did I do the second part, maybe, but anyhow my game stopped chrashing.

I have no idea does this help, but I did read this full topic and did not saw any mentioning about have you used the 4gb patch or not

Thank you. I haven't done the 4gb patch yet. Will try that tomorrow and let you know if it helped.
[edit] Glad you said this works with UC for you but I'm confused. If it overwrites the game exe file, am I getting an older version than the Origin update version? Will that be a bad thing?

Lab Assistant
#18 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 5:15 AM
The first thing I noticed looking at your config-log is that it says your card is not found in the data base. I also have a GTX 1060 card and I had to edit the files by hand. Just running the graphic rules program did not work.

Example

You can find info for editing the files by hand here http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 5:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jules1111
The first thing I noticed looking at your config-log is that it says your card is not found in the data base. I also have a GTX 1060 card and I had to edit the files by hand. Just running the graphic rules program did not work.

You can find info for editing the files by hand here http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212

Thank you. I used the NVidia texture fix files. Thought my card would be in there. I will definitely try the link you suggested (after getting fixed hoods and trying the 4gb fix). So much work just to get a playable game but this time, I'm making batch files for all this and backing stuff up to the cloud so next time it all goes up in a ball of flame or I don't play for several years, I can save myself some work.

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 5:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
Thank you. I used the NVidia texture fix files. Thought my card would be in there. I will definitely try the link you suggested (after getting fixed hoods and trying the 4gb fix). So much work just to get a playable game but this time, I'm making batch files for all this and backing stuff up to the cloud so next time it all goes up in a ball of flame or I don't play for several years, I can save myself some work.

Now that I look at it again, you have the same issue I originally had. You will notice mine only says Gforce GTX 1060, while yours says Nvidia Geforce 1060. It is in those instructions, but it is as simple as deleting the Nvidia before the rest of the card name. So it is in the data base, it is just the way it is in there that the game can't read. Easy fix.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#21 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jules1111
Now that I look at it again, you have the same issue I originally had. You will notice mine only says Gforce GTX 1060, while yours says Nvidia Geforce 1060. It is in those instructions, but it is as simple as deleting the Nvidia before the rest of the card name. So it is in the data base, it is just the way it is in there that the game can't read. Easy fix.

Jules, I added my card to video cards sgr per instructions. The config log file now says it was found in the database, like in your config log. However, I still get the crash on the neighborhood lot. Maybe got to stay there a bit longer than last time, not sure, but still crashed. I am going to try meetme2theriver's fixed neighborhoods next, probably. Wish I knew whether it was a graphics card issue or or EA neighborhood borkage without having to mess with hoods but I do want fixed hoods. *goes off to write hood backup, nuking and reinstalling script*

Field Researcher
#22 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 11:37 PM
You actually don't need the fixed hoods from meetme2theriver just to check whether your hood might have been corrupted. As JustPetro mentioned, you can simply remove the Sims 2 UC folder from your documents and when you start the game the next time it will create a new Sims 2 UC folder with the default neighbourhoods. meetme2theriver's hoods are recommended if you want to actually play the Maxis' hoods for a longer time, since Maxis corrupted the shipped hoods and meetme2theriver tried to fix as much of that corruption as possible.

So, remove the UC folder from documents, repair the game, replace the graphic files you need to replace for the game to recognize your graphics card properly and try playing the game. If it still crashes, it's definitely not a CC problem.

While CC that worked with all EPs/SPs should work fine with the UC, something might have gotten corrupted when copying your mods/hoods over.

As far as the "Not found in database." message goes, I'm not sure if that's actually a problem. My config log says the same, but I never had any problem with the game not recognizing it.

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Space Pony
#23 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 12:10 AM
Glad you said this works with UC for you but I'm confused. If it overwrites the game exe file, am I getting an older version that the Origin update version? Will that be a bad thing?

No. It only tweaks your exe to have more usable memory. It does not do anything else. The exe itself is the same what you got from the update. You do have to use the patch everytime you have repaired, or reinstalled, tho.

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 1:44 AM
Jules, I added my card to video cards sgr per instructions. The config log file now says it was found in the database, like in your config log. However, I still get the crash on the neighborhood lot. Maybe got to stay there a bit longer than last time, not sure, but still crashed. I am going to try meetme2theriver's fixed neighborhoods next, probably. Wish I knew whether it was a graphics card issue or or EA neighborhood borkage without having to mess with hoods but I do want fixed hoods. *goes off to write hood backup, nuking and reinstalling script*

Awe, sorry I was hoping that would fix the issue. I use the original Maxis neighborhoods and never had a issue with them while playing UC. You changed both the Config and CSConfig files? Only other thing I could think to cause it would be a mod or CC.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#25 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 1:54 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 19th Jan 2018 at 3:47 AM.
@Kukamuukaanmuka - 1) So if I understand correctly, Origin update changes my exe. Repair also overwrite my exe? Does repair use the latest version of the exe that Origin has? Do I need to do an update after a repair?
2) Will repair do anything to my registry keys? I ask because I got rid of the awful tm in the Documents folder name so my old cc tools and batch files could find it. If I do a repair, will I have to change the registry again or not?
3) The 4gb update will modify the exe that I get from Origin to use 4gb or ram, not just 2gb. You said redo this patch every time I update or repair, right?

@Jules1111 - I did make sure both sgr files are in both Config and CSConfig. Wrote myself a script to copy them over so I don't forget one or put it in the wrong place.

@Justpetro - Let me make sure I understand. To restore neighborhoods to unplayed state, remove the entire Neighborhoods folder from Documents. It will be regenerated, right? Repair after, and redo sgr files, camera mods, CEP. Anything else?
[edit] I removed Neighborhoods, it got regenerated, am repairing now, then will redo sgr, cep, camera mod (don't currently have one so that's easy).
Will check later if it still crashes, time to read bedtime stories to the little boy now.

Thank you everyone again for all the help. I'm still banging away at it. Almost sure now that it is not a graphics issue. :/ I was really hoping it would and messing with sgr would fix it but no such luck. Maybe I saved while Brandi was on the phone or something? I definitely remember the game crashing when Brandi tried to eat some chips that her son was already trying to eat, maybe that borked it? Could such corruption lead to crashing on community lots?

Anyone know if I can uninstall Ultimate Collection and then reinstall it from Origin? I still don't know if it's a one time only download or not. Very worried about this.

[update1] I removed Neighborhoods, it got regenerated in the right place (folder with no horrid TM since I changed the registry to use the no TM folder). Then I did repair and...

[update2] Repair "fixed" all my registry keys. Now I have to get rid of the TM in the Doc folder name related registry keys all over again and I'm always scared I'll permanently bork my machine mucking in the registry. Is repair necessary when restoring neighborhoods to unplayed state? Does neighborhood corruption affect anything outside the Neighborhood folder? I get repair is needed if I accidentally delete some necessary game files outside of Documents, but isn't all saved game data kept in Documents, not outside of it? Does repair do anything to the stuff in Documents? I'm just very confused about the purpose of repair. Why do I need to do it when restoring unplayed neighborhoods? Just to be clear, I'm not annoyed with anyone who suggested repair, I'm grateful for the help. Just trying to understand.
Ok, I changed the registry again, not so bad this time around. Just did a find, value is The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection, and nuked the tm wherever I saw it.

Now to redo CEP, sgr, (and camera mod if I had it), and see if the crash is gone after restoring neighborhoods to unplayed. Fingers crossed...

Page 1 of 7