Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jan 2016 at 2:04 PM
Getting Sims city 3000 to work on a 64 bit operating system?
I figured this would be a good place to ask if there is a solution to this. I first started playing all things Maxis with SimCity 2000 on my family's first PC way back in the day and I have the GOG version of that so that is goods. Also I recently found some patches and mods that are supposed to make The Sims 2 able to run on my modern windows 7 64 bit PC(And since I just found a use copy of the deluxe edition with the seasons expansion pack for $10 online with shipping included I am give it a shot. At some point I want to put a partition on my hard drive so I can run my older windows games on that, but I need a stand alone copy of windows 95 and 98 for that, and those go for a small fortune used, so it isn't really an option for me right now.

Any way enough rambling and explaining, I will just ask the question. Is there a patch or mod out there that will make my old copy of Sims City 3000 work on my modern windows 7 PC. To me 3000 has always been the best city building game but I have not been able to play it in over a decade because it will not finish installing.

If there is no way to make it work I see a lot of city building games on store shelves that are made by companies I have never heard of, do any of them recapture the old magic? I got into the Sims because of my love for Sim City and it would be nice to return to city building greatness that was Sim City 3000.

Thank you for your time.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Jan 2016 at 10:35 AM
Have you tried running the installer in Win 98/Me compatibility mode? That always works for oneself. The game .exe will also need to be run in this mode too.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Field Researcher
#3 Old 29th Jan 2016 at 10:16 AM
It was free on Origin and I think that version works on 64 bit, I can test but may take awhile

I am MOHAAPlayer on Discord
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Feb 2016 at 5:41 AM
Thanks, if origin would let me use it to download new games I would check that. My version of Windows 7 only seems to have an XP mode and that doesn't work. Still Sim City 2000 works fine with DOS box, so that is good enough for my Sim City fix.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.