Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Link Ninja
#1451 Old 10th May 2018 at 1:47 AM
Mine could probably extend to the other games - It's based on on color pallettes, designs, and images

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#1452 Old 10th May 2018 at 2:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
A beginner could be classed as someone who hasn't entered a building contest before. Simple. Open to all should not be stated as beginners.

That would have made me a beginner for this contest - it's the only one I've ever entered. I still think asking people what level they'd like to go in at would work - as long as we all agree to accept whatever level it is.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Top Secret Researcher
#1453 Old 10th May 2018 at 3:39 AM
Yeah, it's trucky. But I think we know who the experienced builders are.
As I said before, I will forever remain a beginner if you have to get in the top 3 to get beyond that. I can't see myself winning anything.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1454 Old 10th May 2018 at 6:17 AM
Not if the top three can't enter, then it would be a new top three from those who are more intermediate.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#1455 Old 10th May 2018 at 9:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by justJones
*cackles maniacally at all the silly people who think they want to host a contest*

Just kidding, sort of, lol. Obviously, go for it. I just always think I feel like hosting one and then by the end of the second round I'm like "Oh for the love of Christmas! What was I thinking?!" But it's good to see so much potential life in the contest forums. I don't suppose any of you folks ideas are for contests for all three games are they? Because that would be great! I can't remember the last contest that was for only 3 or 4 (I don't think there's actually ever been a just 4). There are definitely more ts2 contests than the other two games, so contest for all three are always nice.
It is quite hard to host a contest for all three games, I have done it. You need a judge from each game really as well. It's also quite hard to find joint contests on the forum.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
#1456 Old 10th May 2018 at 9:50 AM Last edited by Justpetro : 10th May 2018 at 10:22 AM.
You are making it too complicated again. (@maxon; @gdayars; @yannawatw; @joandsarah77)

A beginner is defined and anyone who meets this definition is allowed to enter as a beginner - NOT forced. If you think or know you are good enough for intermediate/advanced, you can enter there. (We do build because it is a challenge after all).

A beginner has to move to intermediate after winning or placed in the top 3 - but can move to intermediate any time when feeling ready to do so (same with intermediate).

Now (sorry for bringing up flowers again ) - in flower arranging - the system has worked for years. Of course when there is a new face, nobody knows what the person is already capable of - but most of them do go to intermediate right away if they are good enough, and even to advanced/open. And you can win the beginners only once anyway, then you have to go to the next level. It is simple, it works and I have never heard complaints about the system.

Edit: Although I regard myself as intermediate - I would probably enter the advanced category, because, personally, I would prefer being challenged over winning and a sticker (and I may not win the intermediate anyway). But there are true beginners out there, and they see how the winning entries look, and they do not think that they would stand a chance against some of the top builders here, so they will never enter; and they are unhappy about anyone being allowed to take part when a contest is called a beginner's contest and top builders are allowed to enter it anyway. And in my opinion, a beginner's contest, besides giving a beginner a chance to win something, would be a very good learning curve for new builders or players who want to improve their building skills.

There are often questions on the forum about how to improve building in games, especially from newer players (the UC is still given out and we still get brand new ones) - that would give them an opportunity to learn as well eg: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=611587
Mad Poster
#1457 Old 10th May 2018 at 1:38 PM
I have a habit of wanting to post to contest threads just after the thread has closed, so I realise I'd better be quick if I want to post in this one (where I haven't even played along). May I also beg your indulgence by turning the topic back to Cat's magnificent rendering of the Alamo, and the effect it had on me of reawakening some very early childhood memories. (I saw the 1955 Davy Crockett film probably even before I started school.) I refer back to posts on pages 51 and 52 of this contest.

Firstly may I say, Cat, that your first picture of the interior of the mission church is, IMHO, the most convincing picture of a Sims building I've ever seen. On first seeing it I thought it must be a picture of the real Alamo mission church. Only when I saw the next picture, with a Sim in what was recognisably the same church, did I realise it musty be your Sims church. Where did you get the "arches" you used for the roof vaulting?

Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin on 26th April 2018
All this contributes to the thing I love best about living in San Antonio, the sense of history as daily life and daily life as history.
I like to think that my Sims feel the same way about Veronaville. That's why they put up with the sometimes considerable inconvenience of living in a 400-year-old house.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I can't help it, truly. Just be glad I made my saving throw against telling Crockett's death story, which is far far more complex and tragic than it is in the movies. That's standard for Texas history - fiction tends to simplify it and make it far less interesting and meaningful.
Oh please Peni, tell me how my childhood hero really died. I saw the Disney version before I started school, so I think I'm ready to learn the truth now. (I must say that, aged 4 going on 5, the Disney version quite impressed me. How else would I still remember it?)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#1458 Old 10th May 2018 at 2:27 PM
The Story of the Alamo is way, way off topic, especially now that the contest is over; so I'll PM you soon, Andrew.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#1459 Old 10th May 2018 at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
...Firstly may I say, Cat, that your first picture of the interior of the mission church is, IMHO, the most convincing picture of a Sims building I've ever seen. On first seeing it I thought it must be a picture of the real Alamo mission church. Only when I saw the next picture, with a Sim in what was recognisably the same church, did I realise it musty be your Sims church. Where did you get the "arches" you used for the roof vaulting?

Thank YOU, Andrew

For the Gothic arches I used these: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=388188
and these: http://themedievalsmithysims2.blogs...ess-pillar.html

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1460 Old 10th May 2018 at 4:55 PM
Actually at this point I think the whole thing is about ready to be closed but have kept it open so we could discuss the beginner contest concept.

Otoh.... I would like to know how he died too so feel free to tell it here @Peni Griffin or add me to a pm :p

I won't close it till this weekend just so we can iron out the contest stuff and what people think about beginner concepts. After that if we need to discuss it further perhaps a thread somewhere else or a social group for contests would be good?
Mad Poster
#1461 Old 10th May 2018 at 7:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
Actually at this point I think the whole thing is about ready to be closed but have kept it open so we could discuss the beginner contest concept.

Otoh.... I would like to know how he died too so feel free to tell it here @Peni Griffin or add me to a pm :p

Only because the host asked:

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1462 Old 11th May 2018 at 1:21 AM
Santa Ana was a barbaric individual with no honor.
Mad Poster
#1463 Old 12th May 2018 at 1:41 AM
Thanks Peni! If anything, your information has given me a higher opinion of Davy Crockett than I had before. But it's lowered my opinion of Santa Ana. I don't think I'd realised just how unpleasant a character he was.

Contests? I think the one I enjoyed most was the Monopoly Game Town contest, the only one where I was a full contestant rather than a play-along. I liked financial side of it. I liked working to produce designs that would produce a healthy return for the construction company. For me too, my decision to make two of my favourite Sims, Andrew Jones and Julian Moltke from Veronaville, the directors of the company, greatly increased my enjoyment, because it meant that I was working for them, and I could imagine meetings with them where we discussed design points and company policy. And at the end it was a bonus to be able to share the company's closing balance of over 400,000 Simoleons between them. if d_dgjdhh (or anyone else) ever runs a similar contest, it might be an idea to give a bit more weighting to the build quality, as I sometimes felt that the scoring gave a bit too much advantage to bean-counters and box-tickers like me over master builders like Jo.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1464 Old 12th May 2018 at 1:56 AM
I'm no master builder Andrew! Intermediate I would say lol. I hope you might like the contest I am doing up now Andrew, the Strangetown makeover. If I can get my smooth edges back so I can take some pictures.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1465 Old 12th May 2018 at 2:47 PM
I can take pictures if you like Jo.
Theorist
#1466 Old 12th May 2018 at 3:36 PM
Doubt I could ever be a judge, I'd probably give the highest score to everyone for showing us how far the game can be taken. If it's ok, I have a suggestion for a contest. This could be a teaching type, since not many seem to be creating for it. Using Mootilda's Lot Adjuster, and/or or CC mini lots (I think it's more the LA) and creating 1 to 2 level homes, while utilizing space to give sims comfortable, yet efficient homes. I use these almost exclusively and have learned how to make them with no routing problems, very high environment scores, low cost to buy, yet furnished with skilling objects and furniture for 1 to 8 sims living comfortably. A contest like this could be a great way for others to learn and the award could be something on the idea of a 'teacher' type sticker. The limit on cost to build could be according to how much simoleans would be gained from Create A Sim. Could start at 1 or 2 sims, then 3, 4 and so on. To be fair to contestants, probably no CC.

Haven't attempted the lot adjuster, that's on my future list after I get moved, finish up some medical testing and get 2 needed surgeries. I'll then be able to afford a few fixes on the pc and get back to playing. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1467 Old 13th May 2018 at 6:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
I can take pictures if you like Jo.

Thanks Gina, if I don't get this fixed by the end of next week I will take you up on that offer.

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#1468 Old 13th May 2018 at 11:49 AM
I could help on that sort of contest Duine but I couldn't host since I have little experience of taking part in and judging contests.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1469 Old 13th May 2018 at 10:31 PM
About to be closed Happy Mother's Day!

Page 59 of 59