Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#76 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 12:08 PM
Welcome SilentFootprints ! ^^ It's good to see so many people enjoy playing this challenge ^^
Well, at first I had some problems with my sims fainting of heatstroke, especially with children (lot's of socials services paying visits to me ^^" ) and pregnant females (too many miscarriages >.>), but I discovered that if I put children's beds inside their temperature will be normal and I won't have to worry about someone coming and taking them away from their families.
So, my advice is to be careful and put their beds inside (maybe build a room for them) and not to put them work outside too much (I had the bad habit to put them work in the garden when their parents were too tired ).

This challenge is hard, but that's what makes it so interesting ^^
Maybe you could share some photos with us ^^
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 4:53 PM
Haha! I'll try. Have you ever got some fish, stocked the fridge with them and then they just dissapeared into the ether? Like, you can't cook any 'Bass with Squash', or 'Blackened Catfish'?
This only happens in some of my households (they are now living off of gelatin). I still fish and grow crops so I don't really consider it to be cheating!
Instructor
#78 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 6:22 PM
It never happened to me before, but I do have a problem with the "read" option (every time a sim gets a book, sits somewhere and starts reading it it will simply disappear and the option will disable).

About your "fishy" problem ... do you have a stove on your lot? (not a grill, a normal stove) Because I had a similar problem before, when I downloaded some medieval stuff and I didn't know that the "stove" that I placed on the lot worked as a grill >.>
Test Subject
#79 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 9:58 PM
Nope it's a normal stove. The same stove for every household actually, yet the problem occurs in three of the five. I wondered if it was something to do with cooking skills, but that doesn't make any sense as they all start out with 0. I even tried getting a different fridge but it still happens! O.o
Test Subject
#80 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 10:40 PM
Still playing! When i have the time. my mortality rate is ridiculous, like unbelievable.i have one family who completely didn't make it past their first generation, must've been cursed. The rest are quite a lot in some cases, it's hard to get them all caught up with one another, but i do have a couple this gens born in some families. i can't wait to get to the next stage. i think it's going to get a lot more interesting! and hopefully my mortality rate goes down.
Inventor
#81 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 6:46 AM Last edited by VioletPadfoot : 7th Jun 2011 at 1:35 PM. Reason: Found answer... I think
SilentFootprints, is it a custom fridge? I've heard those can "eat" produce and fish when you stock them.

EDIT: I was checking the "What did you discover today while playing the sims?" thread and someone else had fish disappear in a fridge. Here's someone's reply to theirs that explains the issue:

Quote: Originally posted by Bellasaurus
In my experience fish doesn't actually increase the fridge food (whether it's a custom fridge or not). Only harvested veg does that. If you want to eat the fish you actually have to cook the fish dishes.

Hope that helps! (and keeps the rest of us from having sims live off gelatin!) ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Test Subject
#82 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 5:29 PM Last edited by Debestfriend4u : 9th Jun 2011 at 12:30 AM.
Hi friends,

I am back, The weather finally straightened out here. I want to say Hi to you new players and wish you luck.

I am currently playing my Neanderthal Gen 2 adults on day 5 in their new hoods. The Sea clan are producing babies left and right. I have Banyan a boy, Banana a girl, Seastar a boy, Shell a girl, Orange a boy, Tikimuku a girl, and Summer a girl. All the 7 women are expecting again after a full day of rest. They had to find the energy to throw a party.

The Sand Clan are also producing their first babies. They are Digger a boy, Jewel a girl, Rocky a boy, Scarab a boy, Nomad a boy, and Treasure a girl, I have goofed and forgot to play Storme and Lainka for 2 rounds. They had twins for my punishment. Cyclone a boy and Tempest a girl.

So far all the sea clan have their tree houses built and having fun throwing parties. It won't be the greatest in the world with all the restricted activities and objects they are allowed to do, but it serves its purpose. Meet and keep friendships.

The sand clan are busy gardening, digging dugout houses and furnishing them. It takes a lot more money and finding buried treasures to complete this task. Soon they will have their dugout hut finished and can get a life other than digging. It reminds me of that Disney movie Holes.... but I am straying from the subject.

Well, The trick for preventing heat stroke is to drink lots of water and have them outside at night doing strenuous activities , and keep them inside an enclosed building to sleep and eat. You can have an archway for a door, but not just an awning overhead will do. I considered my building as a cave. The other trick is to create a swimming hole for them to cool off in when they get hot. Not a hottub or spring. That makes them even hotter. You can recolour the floor and walls with dirt colors to imitate a pond. I hope this helps.

I also had some fun creating a community lot for my 2 hoods. I tried my hand at building a water slide. I looked up the how-to in the sims2 exchange and built a Volcano for the sea tribe and a pyramid for the sand clan. They have not been there to visit yet, but I cant wait for the first babies to grow up to go there.

Well, I will get back to playing my sand clan now and have some fun. The next babies need to get started with each couple. Oh joy more babies. Bring it on.

Hugs, Debs Debestfriend4u.weebly.com my story webpage
Test Subject
#83 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 7:02 PM
@VioletPadfoot,
No it's a normal fridge aswell! I have tried cooking them straight from the inventory but it still wont let me!! Arrgh it's so frustrating!

@Debestfriend4u,
Wow your families sound so much more interesting than mine! And I loved that movie (Holes).
Field Researcher
#84 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 8:20 AM
I preferred the book myself.

Still learning how to create CC, but once I can actually create decent-looking textures I'll be right back into the challenge with new, shiny VT Original Stuff (maybe I need to use a word that isn't 'stuff' - VTOS already stands for VT Original Setting and, for some odd reason, the word 'stuff' makes my dog bark... as long as I say it while standing in the living room doorway closest to the front door, and only in the evening... strange, strange dog. But I digress.)

It might take a while for me to get the hang of it, especially since that Big Event on another site rules my life at the moment but it will be awesome, even though I have no idea what I'm going to be creating. I think I might keep my post-apocalyptic mutant theme... just not on Earth.

Well, off to switch back and forth between Texturing 101, baking and weird online sports. (Maybe I could make my Sims some team T-shirts! )
- VT
Test Subject
#85 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 7:01 PM
Hi friends,

About the fishy situation. I find that I don't use a stove at all in the caves. I use a bbq instead. I click on the bbq and click Bass and squash meal. I looked up Snootysims website online. It says cooking the Bass is level 0, Blackened catfish is level 2, Stuffed Rainbow trout is level 4, Stuffed Golden Trout is level 6 on the cooking skills chart. Since my cavesims do not learn how to cook all that fast, I just keep the bass and sell the rest. You can keep the fish in the fridge or in the back pack, the sim who cooks the meal has to have the fish in their possession.

I hope this helps out.

Hey there VT, I can't wait to see your new Stuff, er creations. I heard the bark. lol
My cat comes running and jumps in my lap when I have to shout so my hubby can hear me.

Hugs, Debs
Field Researcher
#86 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 6:04 PM
I have started the challenge and just made a weebly to show it off.
Let me know what you think.

http://elvis2010.weebly.com/
Instructor
#87 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 7:17 PM
Hey DitzyEkko ! Nice to see you're enjoying your time playing this wonderful challenge ^^ You've got some interesting photos over there, on your blog.I really hope your simmies will be fine ^^
Test Subject
#88 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 5:33 PM
Hey there Friends,

Nice weebly you have there DitzyEkko, and welcome to the tot. What do you want us to call you?
Silent Footprints, are you doing better with the fishy situation?

I am on day 6 of my Gen 2 with toddlers all over the place and expecting mothers again. Whew, if the babies kept the couple busy, you should see how the demanding toddlers do it. I decided to try a little bit of diffrence with my clans. I am not going to have any ponds for fishing for my desert clan. They will survive only on their produce gardens and trees. They will eat up all their fish they have in their back packs, then have to live off the land. I will keep their meals to salad and cereals from the fridge they will become vegetarians of sorts. My Sea Clan will be the opposite. They will not garden at all, just harvest their orange and lemon tree and fish on their small private pond for food. They will be allowed salads from the fridge to eat and the bbq for the fish. Star and I want the 2 clans to start to separate and be diffrent for the next phase in the challenge.

Well, I'm off to play some more.
hugs, Debs
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#89 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 7:07 PM
Hey Ditzy ! Wow thats a doozy of a challenge you got going on there. You will have to build a room for the sims to get in out of the heat or I dont think you will survive. If we hadnt of done that I dont think we would have gotten past gen 1 lol I look forward to seeing where you go from here :-)

Follow along with the residents of Tesime on the Test of Time Challenge http://www.simslifeandtimes.blogspot.com/
Tesime Family Tree
Test Subject
#90 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 4:45 PM
Hey all. Ditzy, enjoyed reading your blog and seeing your pics. You got further along than my first attempt and I applaud you. I learned that sending cave-people to bed when they are already too hot is a bad idea. LOL So I started having them nap (inside) on a couch until their temps dropped back to normal....then they could crawl under the covers...they do even better on a hammock (indoors, of course). Good luck!

I read a fun book the other day that reminded me of an alternative way to play this game. The book was called Enclave by Ann Aguirre. Really reminded me of VT's style. I think Ms Aguirre was channeling VT.

Hoping to find some time to play....
Star
Field Researcher
#91 Old 19th Jun 2011 at 8:24 AM
Welcome to the challenge, Ditzy! I can't think of anything to say beyond what the others have already said, particularly with regard to the heat (that's one of the reasons Star allowed a pool in her version of the challenge, I think). Anyway, welcome aboard, keep up the good work and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Debs, you seem to be getting on great with your ToTM too. I have to admit fishing ponds don't make much sense in the desert - maybe one oasis on a community lot, but one on every home lot... unless it's some sort of alien spawning oasis that branches off onto all the lots... I've just this minute got out of bed, can you tell? I like the idea of creating differences between the two clans, Variety being one of my keywords. I have always wanted to create a massive huge hood and build each subhood as a different country or area or something, but I just plain don't have the attention span...

Hi Star! Hope you find some time to play soon. I've never read the book you mentioned, but I think I might just look into it. Once I have some spare cash, that is. *used to always have plenty of money to spare... then I discovered earrings* I've never heard anyone describe a published author as 'channeling VT' before. I have to admit I'm flattered by that statement - my ambition is to have something published myself. You know, once I step away from my Sims long enough to actually get around to writing it.

Keep on Simming everyone!
- VT
Field Researcher
#92 Old 23rd Jun 2011 at 1:54 AM
Default Phew...what a week
I don't really care what you call me, I've been ditzyekko, ditzy, whatever.
I noticed that you all seem to consider your 1st generation born in game your 1st generation instead of the. starter sims being the 1st gen. That depressed me, cuz that means I'm just starting to have 2nd gen births where as I was calling them 3rd gen.
If you've seen my weebly (WWW.elvis2010.weebly.com), then you'd know I've lost another family. I now have only 3 surviving surnames from the original 5 couples. But I made CAS sims to replace those families. And I'd only have 2 but I cheated to save some children who are now reproducing teens.

Also interesting but true - my 1st births were twins Unga & Ungers Ugg and now in the 2nd gen my 1st births are Ugg twins Brayv & Bouph (sons of Adduh Ugg and her sister Unga's mate Bodba Bo)
Field Researcher
#93 Old 23rd Jun 2011 at 8:33 AM
Actually, I think most of us - or at least most of the players who were here at the start of this thread - consider the starting Sims the first generation. If nothing else, it means the challenge progresses faster. So go ahead and say they're third gen if you want.

- VT
Field Researcher
#94 Old 23rd Jun 2011 at 12:55 PM
Yay, thanks VT. You made my morning!

Uploaded picture of the Uggs just before my parents age and Daimer moved out with Adduh and Oo-Oo
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#95 Old 23rd Jun 2011 at 11:12 PM
Default The Ugg, Bo, and Erm family pics
Just some pictures before everyone ages and I've forgotten which pictures are whom

Adduh Ugg has given birth to Bodba Bo's babies, but she isn't married to him. She will live in a cave with her brothers (Daimer & Oo-Oo) and have babies with anyone (Erman Erm, Erodu Oworo, or Bodba Bo) Unattached women do not retain the rights to their children so the children will then be split up onto different lots dependent on their skin color. Skin 4s will live with Bodba and his mate Unga, Skin 1s will live with Erman and his mate Fuma, mixed skins will live with Erodu Oworo and his sister Yleri. Same goes for Yleri who also will not marry. She will only retain children that have her coloring and only because she lives with her brother.

Actually maybe Adduh can keep her sons because she lives with her brothers. I don't know yet. What do you guys think? I won't move them around until they are child age, so there is time to think about it. But moving them out of their mother's cave does leave more room for pregnancies on that lot, but could overcrowd their father's lot since he will have a mate and children there also.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#96 Old 24th Jun 2011 at 12:15 AM
I think it's a lot more realistic to have the kids with their mothers. In matrilineal tribes, the relationship with the mother's brother is more important than the relationship with the father; the kids may not, in tribal terms, be "related" to him at all. In patrilineal tribes, fathers must go out of their way to acknowledge bastards, and it can be really hard to prove paternity. The only relationship you can be 100% positive of in most species (only seahorses spring to mind as an exception) is the mother/child relationship, after all.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
#97 Old 28th Jun 2011 at 7:56 PM
The fish is good guys! The fish is good! I just bought a different stove and everything was hunky-dorey

Ditzy - I love your Sims's name's! Oo-oo is most definitely my favourite.
Lab Assistant
#98 Old 30th Jun 2011 at 12:30 PM
Hi Guys! I just started playing this challenge last friday after I just couldn't get started with anything else. I'm not very creative with names so the families are Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Davis and Evans! Got all of the wives expecting before starting back through the second season. Wouldn't you know it, my Alpha mother had TWINS!!!!! Talk about pressure! The parents were in contant desperation mode trying to keep the babies fed, changed, bathed, etc. I don't know how my game got glitched but by the time the twins aged to toddlers, the mother aged to elder!!!!!!!! Since premature aging could reasonably be expected, I'm just going forward from there. I'm not good at keeping up blogs so I'll just pop in here from time to time to give you updates on my progress.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#99 Old 30th Jun 2011 at 5:20 PM
Ditzy I'm one who consider my CAS generation one ! But i think Taliah used the first born kids as gen 1. So feel free to play it either way. To speed things up I like my way Course it would really speed things up if I actually played the silly game haha Ive been sidetracked with another game which is taking up all my time but hopefully that will change soon. SandyJS welcome and good luck to you ! Even tho I go MIA occasionally I always keep coming back to check on the progress here :D

Follow along with the residents of Tesime on the Test of Time Challenge http://www.simslifeandtimes.blogspot.com/
Tesime Family Tree
Field Researcher
#100 Old 30th Jun 2011 at 5:31 PM
Welcome to the ToT, SandyJS! VT here. I'm the weird one. Currently between hoods on this challenge, but planning a comeback as soon as I can get some new CC sorted. I'm not very good with names either, but at least I have my trusty bag of Scrabble tiles and a black belt in anagram-fu. And what did you say happened with your aging? Maybe it's the stress of parenting, like you said...

Anna, good to hear from you again. By the way, WHERE are those holiday snaps of yours? I've been checking your blog for ages but haven't found any! I hope you get back to good old TS2 soon. *VT needs updates from her ToT friends!*

- VT

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
Page 4 of 128