Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 7:23 PM Last edited by darkhorus : 8th Sep 2013 at 2:44 PM.
Default New monitor... suggestions?
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new PC monitor, suited for The Sims and other games, but especially The Sims.

This is what I'm looking for in a monitor:
- 22 inch (if really necessary up to 24 inch)
- 1080p Full HD
- HDMI, DVI and VGA ports
- As realistic as possible colors (however both VA and IPS panels have very realistic color anyway so not really an issue)
- Deep and realistic blacks and whites
- High native contrast ratio (I mean normal contrast, not dynamic contrast as I turn that off anyway)
- Option to turn off dynamic contrast
- A pixel response time that's fast enough for games like The Sims so it won't suffer too bad from ghosting in motion (both grey to grey and white to black response time should be as fast as possible)

I don't require 3D or touch technology, neither do I need any USB ports or something on the monitor.

I know VA panels are popular for their high static/native contrast, but they have slower pixel response times than IPS panels; while IPS panels have faster pixel response times but weaker contrast. I would prefer a VA monitor for high contrast but with an acceptable pixel response time for a game like The Sims.

I found a BenQ VA monitor with a 3000:1 (or was it 5000:1) contrast and a pixel response time of 4ms, but I don't know whether they mean grey to grey or white to black.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

(if you need additional details just ask)

Thanks in advance

I'm looking at these at the moment, but I don't know if they are fast enough to not cause a too noticeable ghosting effect in motion in games like The Sims series:
http://www.benq.com/product/monitor...specifications/
http://www.benq.com/product/monitor...specifications/
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 10:51 AM
What's your budget, what country are you buying from?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 12:21 PM Last edited by darkhorus : 8th Sep 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Well, I would say, since I don't require any fancy features like 3D and touch, or things like USB ports and such on the monitor, let's say $200/€200 max. I'm willing to pay a bit more though if it's really worth it.

I live in Belgium.
Scholar
#4 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 2:20 PM
Do you absolutely need all of HDMI, DVI and VGA ports? Would just HDMI be okay?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 2:40 PM Last edited by darkhorus : 8th Sep 2013 at 2:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ajaxsirius
Do you absolutely need all of HDMI, DVI and VGA ports? Would just HDMI be okay?

Well, preferably all 3 ports, in case something breaks so I can still use the monitor through another input; but it isn't an absolute necessity, especially not VGA.
Scholar
#6 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 7:08 PM
I'm not an expert on monitors but for the sims, any response time lower than 7ms should be fine. It's not a FPS game like Quake or Unreal Tournament.

This monitor looks good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16824009483

IPS, 5ms, 1000:1 static contrast ratio, D-Sub, DVI, HDMI, $199.99

I'm still looking for an online Belgian retailer, I'll post back if I find one.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 9:02 PM
Thanks for helping me look.

I can look for that myself; I can't possibly ask others to do everything for me, that wouldn't be right. I just need some good models then I can look for a retailer myself.

The thing is I'm looking for a monitor with a high static contrast, so preferebly a VA panel, but with a fast repsonse time (5ms or less); but the problem is the fast VA panels usually have a slower response time, 4ms gtg (grey to grey), but 12ms wtb (white to black). I don't know if that would be acceptable for a game like TS, TS2, TS3, etc.?

IPS panles do have a faster response time, but a much lower contrast of only 1000:1.

So ideal would be a VA monitor but with an acceptable response time for TS series of games, which is very hard to find. If I don't manage to find that, I will have to settle with an IPS panel though.