Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 12:08 PM
Default Adding wants slots and locks. Do you have rules?
How do you deal with it? Your thoughts?

To say more, uneducated sims only have four wants slots and a want lock while graduated ones got six wants slots and two wants locks. Sims expelled from uni got an additional fear slot IIRC.
Do you stick with EAxis' system or do you have your own?

I'm asking since a player can add wants slots and locks using mods like the Simblender, the Simmanipulator, the Batbox or the counterfeit diploma.

I also know about those mods:
- university of life by Whoward69 (I'm not successful to locate it right now) allows sims to get additional wants slots
- BO's reward catalog: one of its feature lets us buy wants slots and locks with aspirations points.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 12:28 PM
No, I don't - Uni graduates get extra slots and wants, so sending all teens to Uni takes care of that in my hood.
Scholar
#3 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 12:30 PM
I mostly use College Adjuster by Twojeff at Simbolical to add slots and locked wants to ALL of my sims, so I don't really have rules. I just find it a bit limited with only four wants, especially when there are just same kind of them, so I ignored the vanilla take on it. Using the window-mode smaller screen, I don't want anymore than six wants though.
Inventor
#4 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 12:40 PM Last edited by Sketching : 15th Oct 2017 at 2:37 PM.
For the most part, I stick with the EAxis system regarding number of want and fear slots - the "uneducated" the standard 4 wants and fears and college students, whether they graduate or not, get to keep their additional want or fear slots. It's the number of locks that differ. In rare, special cases (or when there aren't standard universities), it depends on if I think that the sim has decided that they want more out of life or found more to fear about instead so I adjust them accordingly via Blender or Batbox. Sims who grow up badly at least twice are given additional fear slots.

I don't allow Pleasure sims to lock their wants since it makes them seem more like they truly live in the moment. The rest depend on motivation level because I like to interpret it as their drive to achieve their wants - low motivation no want locks at all, average 1 (2 if they earned it though), and overachievers 3. I sound like an evil overlord, I know, but it gives me diversity among the sims.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 12:43 PM
You can add wants slots with either the blender or the batbox (or both - can't remember though I have seen it). I generally don't though. The only time I have done it is if I create an adult sim in CAS and in their backstory they went to university. I like that 'uneducated' sims have fewer want and fear slots. Though I don't really play for wants and fears anyway. I would add slots if I had a reason to - a non-university going sim who was keen to improve themselves say. I have thought about adult college for those kinds of sims but it's not necessarily a mod I'd want to add to my game (I could add it temporarily for the one sim maybe). Similar to sketching, I'd add fear slots for reasons.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 1:32 PM
This is one thing that I have left vanilla except for the founding generation of professionals. Although they didn't actually go to uni beginning life as CAS adults, in reality the doctor would have gone to medical school, so she and others like her got all want slots.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#7 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 1:58 PM
Like Jo, this is one of the things I've left vanilla as well. So, sims only get the slots they've earned by attending college. The only exception are sims that I create that have a backstory/career that requires a degree to start. In those cases I use Christianlov's Counterfeit College Diploma (I like the variety of options with this one and that a degree shows up in their inventory as if they've really graduated) to give them a college degree, and want slots are automatically added.

Also, in case you or anyone else are looking for the University of Life mod by William that you mentioned, here you go http://www.picknmixmods.com/Sims2/D.../UniOfLife.html.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Forum Resident
#8 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 2:33 PM
I use BO reward catalogue, and give the extra wants and locks to sims that have important jobs and are at the top of their career. Felt it was unbalanced to have a new graduates have more opportunities than the mayor and the police chief. But since I'm re-installing sims will now have to study while working to get access to diploma or the reward catalogue.
#9 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 3:05 PM
If they don't go to uni they don't get the additional 2 slots, but they do get all 3 other want locks. I have a habit of locking all of them mostly because they re-roll when going to a community lot and I was tired of losing the ones I really wanted to achieve. So that lead to me locking down the bigger ones irregardless of life plan. Then I started locking the smaller ones out of curiosity of trying to figure out why this particular sim would roll the want or to just try to work it into the story as a nice little moment.
Scholar
#10 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 3:06 PM
Disappearing wants that I want to fulfil is one of the most annoying things for me (even if it’s just the talk about hobby want), so everyone gets as many locks as want slots when they age up to toddler, and quite often they have all of them locked (like this). It’s possible to have 7 visible want slots in the game (I read somewhere that you can add more slots and they will be invisible, but they would work properly), and all of my sims will get them at some point. For CAS adults I add one when they reach the top of their career, platinum lifetime aspiration, and max out all the skills. The last one was added much later after I found out about the 7th slot, so graduates get their 7th slot when they have all the skills. And as I mentioned before I’d hate wants rerolling when I don’t want it, so adding a want slot means adding a lock too. I use insim to do that.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#11 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 3:20 PM
I try, I really do, but within a sim day or two I have added locks/slots. I use insimenator. Sometimes sim blender
Inventor
#12 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 6:37 PM
@Voeille ...I hope you don't mind me asking but is that a puddle in your inventory?
Forum Resident
#13 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 7:38 PM
I use BO's reward catalogue to buy the extra slots - mainly for CAS sims so far, and they have to earn all the points themselves. The idea behind it for me is that life experience also gives my sims those additional slots, since it's weird to me that college would be that important.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 8:06 PM
I usually allow a maximum of 6 wants (unless they went on vacation) because any more and the UI looks a little weird. Sims who didn't go to University (though I often use the batbox to give degrees to CAS Sims when it makes sense) are allowed to buy more wants and locks with BO's reward catalog.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#15 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 8:19 PM
@Sketching
Yes, it’s a puddle. I think that at some point I wanted to move a puddle to a more accessible place, I went into the inventory mode to do that, and then it turned out it’s possible to actually put one in there. I posted the same screenshot in the discovery thread to mention the puddle, and now I reused it because the sim happens to have all the wants locked

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Mad Poster
#16 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Essa
I'm asking since a player can add wants slots and locks using mods like the Simblender, the Simmanipulator, the Batbox or the counterfeit diploma.

I also know about those mods:
- university of life by Whoward69 (I'm not successful to locate it right now) allows sims to get additional wants slots
- BO's reward catalog: one of its feature lets us buy wants slots and locks with aspirations points.

There's also the Mirror of Locks and Wanting from DJSims. That's what I use, though usually I just buy it, add the lock/slot with the blender, and then sell the mirror. It doesn't even take that long for them sim to go through the animation, but children can't use it, so the blender is a way to bypass that, and then I figure if I let the child/toddler sims get their locks without going through the animation, why not let teens, adults, and elders get off easy as well?

But anyway, rules. Yes, I do have rules:

1) Everyone must earn their own locks and slots; no snagging free locks/slots from your roommate, mommy, big bro, or even your spouse. Sims can share other aspiration rewards (and often pass containers of Smart Milk back and forth between households, deepening on who currently has toddlers), but those Mirrors of Locks and Wanting are "soulbound" (that's mmo lingo for "stuck to a single character and cannot be traded or passed on in any way") in my game.
2) No one younger than adult can get extra slots. Toddlers are limited to one extra lock, children to 2 extra, teens to 3 extra, and adults can have unlimited locks/slots up to the game hard limits.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 8:59 PM
I don't have any hard rules on how many they have, but I do have rules about what types of wants they can lock. I only let some sims lock wants to skill, and wants to get the life skills are never locked. I haven't been giving out extra want slots aside from upgrading premade sims that I felt should have gone to university. I should come up with some guides for my new medieval 'hood as many sims won't be going to university. Maybe I'll use other milestones, like business ownership or middle age. I noticed one of the objects (not sure if it was batbox or simblender) had an option to add a fear, and if I include adding wants I'll have to set up some circumstances that lead to an extra fear instead.

I do sometimes add an extra want lock but it's usually only temporary. The extra lock gets used only for short term things, usually wants that necessitate a trip to a community lot where going to the lot might cause the want to roll away.
Inventor
#18 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 9:16 PM
I intend to stick with university grads earning their 6 wants and a second want lock after graduating with a solid GPA. Lately though, I have tinkered a bit with the InSIMenator's Wants Panel adjustor, and I would add a lock or more whenever there are more than two desires I insist keeping until achieved. In occasional situations like that, it's about choosing which two desires are most important and won't stick around long. Adding more than two want locks is only temporary, and I could easily reset that with the batbox.

Check out my profile for homes and community lots ready for download: My Homes and Stuff
Mad Poster
#19 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 9:24 PM
I never add want/fear slots, but then all my teen Sims go to university. I suspect I'd probably add at least one extra slot if I ever end up with a teen that doesn't go to university. I do add locks though. I don't have any set rules, but I don't allow more than one extra lock for pre-uni Sims, and I try to wait until they've lived a little before I add more after uni. But it really depends on what kind of wants they roll, if they roll stuff I really want to keep and I know they are unlikely to re-roll them if I let them vanish, I'll add more want locks. I don't let them have more than four locks though, cause it feels excessive.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 10:12 PM
Some of my Sims suffer from depression (at least that's what I call it), and since I play with free will, it's not always easy to fulfill their wants. Sometimes they roll wants that they can do for themselves and I won't help them with it. However if it's skill related or something that I must assist them in this case I will use BO's Reward Catalog that charges them aspiration points(http://www.simbology.com/smf/index....55841#msg155841) to buy them a want lock so when the skill or is achieved or object purchased it will help give them the boost they need.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 10:20 PM
I use the batbox's "upgrade" option on most of my CAS and pre-made adults to give them the effects of a university education (extra slots, extra locks and the job-related effect of having a specific major). There are a few characters that I interpret as never having gone to university for various reasons, but everybody else gets batbox upgrades for University and FT.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 11:12 PM
All my Sims have 4 wants and 3 fears. That's because I only installed University at the end of January and no one has graduated yet. I mean in most countries a university degree takes 3 to 4 years or more, so you wouldn't expect any graduates yet, would you? Well, not the way that I play! (My students are going to university to expand their minds and enjoy the social life -- it's a university they're going to, not a "crammer" school!)

Anyway, while I've been reading about these extra want slots and locks for the five years I've been on this forum, I've never seen one for myself. So of course I have no rules for them! Having said all this, I can't help thinking that extra wants would be useful for some Sims. I'm thinking especially of Knowledge teens (like Andrew). I sometimes look at their wants, and every single one is either something that I can't give them, or something that I don't want to give them. (I can't give Sims an A+ grade when they currently have an F! And I usually don't want them to be "saved from death", see ghosts, or go to a private school. With Andrew, I usually keep him happy by giving him dates with Julian, but I have one of the Lambert girls in Elswyn who is just as hard to please, but she has no romantic interests at all. So yes, one or two extra want slots would be quite a help. Not for graduates, but for Sims who are still teens. I have the Sim Manipulator, so I suppose I could do it -- I've just never thought of it till now. That, plus (I think) someone saying recently that it might be a cause of corruption (though I'm sure I can't think how).

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#23 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 1:10 AM
I use the batbox to give some of the premades degrees, but other than that I don't make any changes to wants or locks.
Test Subject
#24 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 2:32 AM
I give every adult sims 6 want slots if they don't have them from graduating uni- though currently all teens go to college and will eventually get them without my interference. I may eventually stop sending every sim to college, but I won't stop giving them all 6 want slots. I find 4 to be too limited. I've never tried having more than 6. Maybe I'll give it a try next time I play.

As for locks, I add them when I want to be able to lock more wants than is currently allowed. I have no set rules for this, though I try to keep it 3 locks or less for 6 wants, and only 1 lock for 4.
Theorist
#25 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 3:01 AM
Since I'm old enough to not have to follow silly rules anymore, I make my own and my sims get want slots and a lock for each one. No one can stop me either. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Page 1 of 2