Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#226 Old 1st Mar 2019 at 6:58 PM
I'm curious how you all handle bills? If I use a mod like the visitor controller and ban the mailperson, will the bills stop? OR, is there a mod that makes bills $0 but still brings things like gifts and postcards?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#227 Old 1st Mar 2019 at 10:05 PM
I usually just ban the mail person from all lots, but you do miss out on getting postcards that way. I don't know of any mod like the one you described but I sure would love one!
Instructor
Original Poster
#228 Old 20th Mar 2019 at 5:24 AM
Hi RayeNation, and welcome! The bills issue is a challenging one to handle in any historically slanted sims game for sure. I've experimented with playing using Cyjon's BiggerBills mod, which allows you to have bills come more often and make them larger, which seems counter-intuitive, but could be considered as the taxation system. To use this, you would have to rethink how you use the Steward in the challenge and how he collects, perhaps using Mog's computer, but with a little creativity it can be done. Another mod you could try is Amura's Custom Bills (here on MTS). Sorry for the late reply, but hope this helps!
Cheers, Vllygrl

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Mad Poster
#229 Old 27th Mar 2019 at 10:33 AM
I have the mailman stop by every Tuesday and Thursday, but with default replacement clothing, available here and at other places. In fact, I've defaulted nearly every single piece of clothing or item used in the game and hiders do the rest to take care of game content.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Instructor
Original Poster
#230 Old 15th Sep 2019 at 12:53 AM Last edited by vllygrl : 15th Sep 2019 at 1:56 AM.
@ Mortia:

Hi Mortia! I ran across a post of yours on The Sims 2 forums, from March 2018 - https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...ff-your-hood/p2.

I wanted to tell you how beautiful I think your first MCC hood is and how wonderfully you organized it! I am blown away with what you have done here and where you have taken your MCC, not to mention terribly flattered and impressed. I would love to know what terrain is the one you used there? So rare to see a terrain with a low-banked river running through it like that one. Thank you for being so supportive and positive about the MCC! I am humbled and honoured in the face of your creativity.

Cheers, Vllygrl

The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Forum Resident
#231 Old 12th Nov 2019 at 11:51 PM
Hello everyone! I love reading about all of your stories! I just had a question to see how you all handle this. The second son of one of my peasant families just aged up and needs to move out. He definitely cannot afford to buy a peasant hovel in order to move out, but I would like him out of the house to get on his own two feet. Any ideas?

aka fir3princ3ss
My Youtube Channel
Currently playing:
-Medieval Charter Challenge on The Sims 2
-Ye Olde Royal Kingdom Challenge on The Sims 3
Lab Assistant
#232 Old 14th Nov 2019 at 4:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lfria
Hello everyone! I love reading about all of your stories! I just had a question to see how you all handle this. The second son of one of my peasant families just aged up and needs to move out. He definitely cannot afford to buy a peasant hovel in order to move out, but I would like him out of the house to get on his own two feet. Any ideas?

Maybe have him move out but put him on an empty lot. Let him do some lawn living for a while? I personally have some good medieval tents, and grills that I would probably use. As long as you move him out in spring or fall (if you have seasons), the temperature should be mild enough to survive until you can get a hut built. Then I'd just build up the house a little at a time until he had a proper hovel.

Lauri
Forum Resident
#233 Old 14th Nov 2019 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LauriMizutani
Maybe have him move out but put him on an empty lot. Let him do some lawn living for a while? I personally have some good medieval tents, and grills that I would probably use. As long as you move him out in spring or fall (if you have seasons), the temperature should be mild enough to survive until you can get a hut built. Then I'd just build up the house a little at a time until he had a proper hovel.

Lauri

That could be fun thank you! Especially since I just unlocked the charity hospice so he could take full advantage of that while he gets his hovel figured out. I randomly rolled for him to be the local pumpkin farmer and carver so he's going to be struggling regardless I think. It will be Spring when he moves out so he should be able to survive in a medieval tent for a bit.

aka fir3princ3ss
My Youtube Channel
Currently playing:
-Medieval Charter Challenge on The Sims 2
-Ye Olde Royal Kingdom Challenge on The Sims 3
Lab Assistant
#234 Old 13th Apr 2020 at 12:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vllygrl
@ Mortia:

Hi Mortia! I ran across a post of yours on The Sims 2 forums, from March 2018 - https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...ff-your-hood/p2.

I wanted to tell you how beautiful I think your first MCC hood is and how wonderfully you organized it! I am blown away with what you have done here and where you have taken your MCC, not to mention terribly flattered and impressed. I would love to know what terrain is the one you used there? So rare to see a terrain with a low-banked river running through it like that one. Thank you for being so supportive and positive about the MCC! I am humbled and honoured in the face of your creativity.

Cheers, Vllygrl

@Vllygrl, I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to get to this question. Thank you for the kind words on my first 'hood! I absolutely have loved this challenge and, after 3+ years, FINALLY finished it this year! I changed the goal numbers quite a bit to add to the challenge, which is why it took so long

The terrain I used is gorgeous, isn't it? It's Greylings by Nimitwinklesims. I absolutely fell in love with that perfect river flowing through the center. I did change the terrain to level out the areas I wanted to build on and added many more roads. I haven't been able to get confirmation from Nimi on whether or not I can share my version with the public, but I will let you know if I can.

Thanks again!
Instructor
Original Poster
#235 Old 13th Apr 2020 at 5:24 AM
@Mortia, hi and great to hear from you! You're welcome, and thank you! You have stuck with the MCC for a long time, interesting to hear that you changed the goal numbers to add to the challenge and I'm so excited to hear that you finished it! Will you be continuing to play your families in your charter city - you must be very attached to them by now! Or will you move into the Warwickshire Challenge?
Thanks for letting us know the name of the terrain you used is Greylings, Nimi created a very beautiful river and setting for a sims hood and it is a truly lovely terrain. I suspected it was that one but was confused by the additional roads. I didn't realize that you had changed the terrain, but adding the extra roads and leveling the building areas definitely made it substantially more playable for the long term. If you get confirmation from Nimi that you can share, please do let me know!
Happy Easter,
Cheers, Vllygrl

Scholar
#236 Old 1st Mar 2021 at 1:52 PM
Is anyone still trying this challenge? I’m in the process of setting it up. I’ve set up a special folder just for this challenge. I’m currently default replacing like mad. It may be another week or so before I can even start.
Mad Poster
#237 Old 2nd Mar 2021 at 12:44 PM
I'm setting up this combined with an apocalypse challenge set in the 16th century with a colony being established in the new world to escape a famine in Europe caused by disrution to the weather patterns which also ended the was against the Turks.Mine is about the new colony starting out in the new world in 1520.
Test Subject
#238 Old 17th Mar 2021 at 11:18 PM
I'm a little confused about a couple of the lots -- the hedge tavern and the weekly market. I understand they're placed during level 1, but I don't get any merchant families until the start of level 2, so who's supposed to build and run them? Or are they not considered merchant businesses? Sorry, I feel like I'm missing something.
Mad Poster
#239 Old 18th Mar 2021 at 8:37 AM
I'm using my service center as a publicly owned community lot and the only other lot at the start of my town is a homestead farm for my first settler couple to sail to the new world colony in the 16th century.Any community lot is community owned until population is big enough for sims to own businesses.Sims who start a business on a community lot will buy the empty lot and just build it up slowly using the career reward charisma podiums to earn the money as they build and any community lot with buildings already on it or build on an unowned community lot remain town owned.
Instructor
Original Poster
#240 Old 9th Apr 2021 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ergbennett
I'm a little confused about a couple of the lots -- the hedge tavern and the weekly market. I understand they're placed during level 1, but I don't get any merchant families until the start of level 2, so who's supposed to build and run them? Or are they not considered merchant businesses? Sorry, I feel like I'm missing something.

Hi ergbennett! Sorry about my late reply but I hope this helps -

Re: your question about the hedge tavern is undoubtedly it is something I did not explain very well in the challenge because you are not the first to ask for clarification! Perhaps the best way to explain is to use my own way of playing: one of the lots I always build straightaway is a yeoman cottage and shop lot as per "yeoman holdings artisan & costermonger" according to the chart in the challenge documents. I make the shop part into a small, simple and humble tavern and use moveobjects to stick a cc shrub somewhere above the front entrance to indicate that it is a "hedge" tavern. Then I move in one of my initial families as the yeoman owners, so in other words, they can "afford" it right from the beginning. The $5000 is only the treasury threshold and doesn't have anything to do with the actual cost of the community lot itself, which is actually strictly speaking not a community lot, but actually a home business. Confusing and contradictory I know, but as I said, I did a poor job of describing what I meant it to be!

The weekly market (grocery) however, is a community lot which allows it to be an owned business, therefore you need a merchant family to own it. You may not be able to actually set it up until you convert from hamlet to village if you don't have a merchant, and that's perfectly ok -- not everyone's challenge plays out the same or completely to plan!
Have fun!

Mad Poster
#241 Old 10th Apr 2021 at 7:31 PM
@Vllygrl -I've been setting Riverdale up for this combined with an apocalypse challenge using Riverblossom Hills map with just two of the lots in the largest size and one is zoned community and is to become my town's service center where they can earn money from vocational work or carisma podiums from the career reward items and also buy household objects to act like they picked up a mail order purchase.The setting is a 16th century colony in the new world known as a MCC colony.I'm starting with only one childless couple and slowly adding more over the first few years and also getting others already settled in to start trying for babies as they get family homes built on their homestead farms.I'm requiring the farm lots to have either a hacked trash pit or hacked mailbox that cancels the bills.The trash pit allow bills to be tossed out like trash.
Instructor
Original Poster
#242 Old 12th Apr 2021 at 11:43 PM
Yes TadOlson, I've been watching your progress with interest! I'm interested to see how you adapt the MCC to work with your interesting backstory. You are starting slowly and thoughtfully which is a good thing, less overwhelming for sure. Have you thought about including a sim in the Steward role who could fill a useful function in a variety of ways, maybe particularly with managing your town's service center, perhaps charging fees and administering the settlement?
Cheers, Vllygrl

Mad Poster
#243 Old 13th Apr 2021 at 6:29 AM
That role is likely to end up in the hands of the first couple to arrive and settle there to establish the colony though they will only be managing the service center behind the scenes as it's a fully community operation and no fees get charged because at the start the colony's population is going to be very small as only one couple arrives at a time an only in the spring as they have no hosting lot.Sims can go "shopping" for free clothing and "buy" groceries there at first though they do have to start growing their own food or hunting and trapping for meant and also tend livestock.The settlement won't get any defined leadership until there's at least four couples and that is the first couple to arrive by default because they've been there the longest and know more about surviving there.I'll allow sims to take jobs in lilitary part time or to enter in small town lolitics which is a custom career or the part time EA version after they've got even more couples and some start wanting to have babies.
Test Subject
#244 Old 20th Apr 2021 at 4:55 PM
Hi ergbennett! Sorry about my late reply but I hope this helps -

Re: your question about the hedge tavern is undoubtedly it is something I did not explain very well in the challenge because you are not the first to ask for clarification! Perhaps the best way to explain is to use my own way of playing: one of the lots I always build straightaway is a yeoman cottage and shop lot as per "yeoman holdings artisan & costermonger" according to the chart in the challenge documents. I make the shop part into a small, simple and humble tavern and use moveobjects to stick a cc shrub somewhere above the front entrance to indicate that it is a "hedge" tavern. Then I move in one of my initial families as the yeoman owners, so in other words, they can "afford" it right from the beginning. The $5000 is only the treasury threshold and doesn't have anything to do with the actual cost of the community lot itself, which is actually strictly speaking not a community lot, but actually a home business. Confusing and contradictory I know, but as I said, I did a poor job of describing what I meant it to be!

The weekly market (grocery) however, is a community lot which allows it to be an owned business, therefore you need a merchant family to own it. You may not be able to actually set it up until you convert from hamlet to village if you don't have a merchant, and that's perfectly ok -- not everyone's challenge plays out the same or completely to plan!
Have fun!

Thank you for the clarification!

I'm actually adapting this challenge for Sims 3. I'm almost finished setting up the neighborhood; there's just a few things left to do and some more rule tweaks to make. I'm super excited!
Instructor
Original Poster
#245 Old 27th Apr 2021 at 4:54 AM
@ergbennett:
Glad it helped! I am also excited to hear that you are adapting the MCC for Sims 3 - I would love to hear how your Sims 3 adaptation goes - please post and let us know!
Cheers, Vllygrl

Mad Poster
#246 Old 28th Apr 2021 at 8:59 AM
I've got some finishing off of the lots in Riverdale before I move my first couple in and start playing live.
Test Subject
#247 Old 28th Apr 2021 at 6:09 PM
@ergbennett:
Glad it helped! I am also excited to hear that you are adapting the MCC for Sims 3 - I would love to hear how your Sims 3 adaptation goes - please post and let us know!
Cheers, Vllygrl

Would it be all right for me to share my adapted rules?
Test Subject
#248 Old 9th May 2021 at 11:24 PM
Hi everyone! Hope this thread is still alive, because I'm really in love with this challenge. I started playing it and after few quarters all my peasant families became yeomans, so now there are no carpenters or fishermen in my settlement Where can I get new peasant and yeoman families when the old ones will rise in class? Hope for answer and sorry if it was already here, my English is very bad
Mad Poster
#249 Old 12th May 2021 at 6:22 PM
I don't restrict everything by class though they might have some like a town's leader might not be in a heavy labor job simply because they have other work to do and education might affect how well some of them can progress at certain jobs.Mine allows for new colonial settlers to arrive occasionally and for first nations tribe menbers to join the colony.Other people got brought in as service staff and peasants from other lands.Mine is a 16th century colonial settlement in the new world.A Euopean town would've recruired convicted criminals as peasants or imported from other lands to have new peasants.
Instructor
Original Poster
#250 Old 14th May 2021 at 5:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ergbennett
Would it be all right for me to share my adapted rules?

Absolutely yes! Looking forward to it!

Page 10 of 11