Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Aug 2023 at 7:24 AM Last edited by ProdigalSim : 2nd Aug 2023 at 7:37 AM.
Default Career Creator 3 - Won't Save Careers
Hello,

I've been migrating to my new pc build and finally got around to The Sims. I've managed to get pretty much everything working with The Sims, but I've run into trouble with Career Creator 3, as it refuses to save my careers properly. No matter what I do, whether it be importing a prevous career backup or just a single career, as soon as I click "Save", everything (but the icons) revert to their original form. I don't know why the new icons remain, but my biggest problem is that I can't seem to save my custom careers, which I created so long ago, I really don't want to start from scratch, only to have Career Creator revert everything back again after clicking "Save".

I hope someone here can help me.

Thank you in advance.

PS
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 9th Aug 2023 at 3:41 PM
Career Creator 3 does save for me, but only if I type into the little boxes. It doesn't import careers, and careers it exports don't work. The only way I've been able to share the career I've made is to give people the entire Work.iff file.

So you can use your old careers, but only if you copy and paste the data from them into the little boxes while editing. That's annoying and cumbersome, but I'm afraid that's all I've been able to get it to do.

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Aug 2023 at 9:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Corylea
Career Creator 3 does save for me, but only if I type into the little boxes. It doesn't import careers, and careers it exports don't work. The only way I've been able to share the career I've made is to give people the entire Work.iff file.

So you can use your old careers, but only if you copy and paste the data from them into the little boxes while editing. That's annoying and cumbersome, but I'm afraid that's all I've been able to get it to do.

Hello Corylea,

Thank you so much for your reply and explanation. Although you are correct, I have managed to figure out a workaround, not quite as cumbersome as the one you suggested. After experimenting, I also discovered that the only way to save anything in CC is to type something in the boxes within the program. Fortunately, however, my saved work.iff file remained intact, though its accompanying carportal.iff file was somehow corrupted when saved to CD. And, fortunately, again, CC needs only the work.iff file to create a new, matching carportal.iff file. My workaround is simply to replace the work.iff file with my saved work.iff file BEFORE importing my careers from my saved .cbk file. Saving everything in CC after doing so - even without typing anything in the boxes - works! Based on your feedback and my own experimentation, I'm guessing that editing the careers later will save properly. I suppose I don't need to import my careers at all if I simply switch out the work.iff file, but then the carportal.iff would not be updated, right?

Thanks again!

PS
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 20th Aug 2023 at 2:47 AM
You didn't say you still had work.iff. If you had, I would have wondered why you thought you had to start over from scratch, and we'd have had a different conversation. :-)

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Aug 2023 at 2:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Corylea
You didn't say you still had work.iff. If you had, I would have wondered why you thought you had to start over from scratch, and we'd have had a different conversation. :-)

Sorry, I thought, since my carportal.iff file was corrupted, the same might be true of my work.iff file. :D