Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 23rd Feb 2009 at 3:38 AM
This seems like a fun challenge. I only have two expansions right now, but definitely want to see if I'm able to still try this. I had a question about sleeping on the floor. Is the only way we're allowed to have the sims sleep on the floor through passing out or can we install a hack to direct sims to just use the floor? Thanks! =)
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#77 Old 23rd Feb 2009 at 4:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Viviolay
This seems like a fun challenge. I only have two expansions right now, but definitely want to see if I'm able to still try this. I had a question about sleeping on the floor. Is the only way we're allowed to have the sims sleep on the floor through passing out or can we install a hack to direct sims to just use the floor? Thanks! =)

No, no hacks to let them sleep on the floor. They can only pass out.

The poor hobos.
#78 Old 24th Feb 2009 at 5:28 PM
I've started this challenge, I'm loving it... and hating it... *lol* moving from lot to lot to lot, it just takes a lot of time! I plan on writing up a story as soon as I win the challenge or the poor simmie dies. Which ever comes first... had two close calls already due to fires from lightning, this is why

Spent a lot of the money on trees and stuff thinking it would be more viable for her to -hide- in there *lol* of course there was a visit from the burglar... she couldn't get anything but she showed up anyway, not that I saw her, just the music and now she hates her. So now she has the bad memory, wants a burglar alarm and a fire alarm and marry a rich sim... *snickers* yeah, that's gonna happen. I've decided not to move anyone in and if she lives I'll rejuvenate her and let her raise a family. She's already nom nommed on NPC Victor's face o.O

#79 Old 24th Feb 2009 at 11:02 PM
I've never tried a challenge before, but I'd love to do this one!

I'm trying to think how on earth to make money with only the base game, as that's all I have (expansion packs cost $50 each here, and I'm trying to save for a new computer - I already feel like a real life hobo).

All I can think of is selling paintings, hmm.
#80 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 1:22 AM
Oh that's right, after thinking about it. You can't work as a barista, dj or bartender if you don't have Uni or Nightlife o.o. I can't remember but can you perform for tips? Like that little rap thing they do? You could go to a community lot and have then Zo! Zo! Zo! for a while.

Edit:: I just beat the challenge!! <3
#81 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 2:35 AM
I've been thinking of doing this anyway, just to see if I could survive.

I think I'll enter, and edit this post after I make my hobo.

EDIT: It's an edit, but not the one I hope. I just realized I need 5 posts to even post a link...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#82 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kerryanne13
Edit:: I just beat the challenge!!

Good job! And no, you can't freestyle for tips without Uni...which is basically the root of the problem.

@Kerryanne
Well, you know, the best thing about being a hobo...you have nothing to be stolen!

@Ceegamus
Huh. Never knew that. Guess that shows how utterly perceptive I am...
Yeah, this challenge is basically impossible without expansions. The only thing that you can do is paint.
You could, however, twist the rules and just buy the easel before reducing funds...
#83 Old 26th Feb 2009 at 2:49 AM
Sure hope I did this right, scoring wise, it's the aspiration points that really kicked it up. I'm just glad she wanted masterpieces all the time *lol* total end score with 4 friends, 1 love, 20,000 simoleans, no deaths or enemies is: 152,970
#84 Old 26th Feb 2009 at 3:03 AM
My little hobo is coming along nicely. I put him in Riverblossom Hills or whatver it is that came with seasons. My seasons go Spring Summer Spring Winter. That's cool, right?

And you know, this challenge game me an idea for a "Farmer Brown" challenge I might post...
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 28th Feb 2009 at 6:40 AM
Okay I'm doing this challenge and I would like to know something. I have a custom bed that is made from two boxes, stuffed with newspapers, old covering, and I'm just wondering if I'm allowed to use it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#86 Old 1st Mar 2009 at 8:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kerryanne13
Sure hope I did this right, scoring wise, it's the aspiration points that really kicked it up. I'm just glad she wanted masterpieces all the time *lol* total end score with 4 friends, 1 love, 20,000 simoleans, no deaths or enemies is: 152,970

Good job! [gives cookie]

@ceegamus
Yes, that's fine! It's sad that the rules don't let hobos play in leaves, though. That would be very hoboesque.

@addict12
Does it have a better energy score than the floor? If so, then no.
#87 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 5:40 AM
Well, I lose. I starved to death, because my lil hobo passed out, ran out of hunger, woke up, puked a couple times, then died. It was very... Shakespeare-esque.

He was a friendless dude, mostly scaring people off. I didn't check his aspiration before he died, and I'unno if you can after.

I'll take -9000 as my score, and prolly start over.
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 10:24 PM
um, energy ish six. How do you sleep on the floor? @-@
Test Subject
Original Poster
#89 Old 2nd Mar 2009 at 10:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ceegamus
Well, I lose. I starved to death, because my lil hobo passed out, ran out of hunger, woke up, puked a couple times, then died. It was very... Shakespeare-esque.

He was a friendless dude, mostly scaring people off. I didn't check his aspiration before he died, and I'unno if you can after.

I'll take -9000 as my score, and prolly start over.

Aw, that's alright. I guess that for a hobo, that would be rather...realistic, though.

Quote: Originally posted by addict12
um, energy ish six. How do you sleep on the floor? @-@
Just leave them there until they collapse. :evil:
#90 Old 3rd Mar 2009 at 1:38 AM
It was pretty funny. He looked very hobo too, so it all worked out.
Test Subject
#91 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 5:02 AM
arrrg! this is so stressful. i made good use of the hammock. altho thats my 6 tiles of goodness... used.

sighh...
Test Subject
#92 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 8:38 PM
Ah the only EP I have is Nightlife

Which means that I can work as a DJ

When my sim is not dying of total exhaustion, or lack of hygiene, small bladder, low fun score or whatever she is complaining of on screen right now

It's proving to be difficult but I haven't died yet so I'll see how it goes :D
Test Subject
#93 Old 6th Apr 2009 at 7:46 AM
I'm starting on this challenge, it looks really fun.

Wish I could figure out how to post pictures of my hobo, though. She really looks filthy. :D
#94 Old 6th Apr 2009 at 6:19 PM
Compared to any other challenge I've done, this is incredibly hard! Radek, my hobo, is complaining all the time that his energy and comfort are down and I'm not sure how much longer I can stand to be so cruel to the poor guy.

Also, I just did something which is probably against the nature of the challenge. Radek wanted to enter a cooking contest, and I figured it couldn't hurt since he'd not win it with zero cooking points and he'd get to eat something better than hot dogs. But then the chick next to him who'd entered with chef salad just walked out in the middle of the contest and Radek's macandcheese won against sandwiches and cereal. So, he's $500 richer, even though a hobo wouldn't actually be allowed to enter a cooking contest in RL.
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 28th Apr 2009 at 1:12 PM
This challenge sounds great. I'm going to go start it right now.
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 28th Apr 2009 at 1:26 PM
So...if you have BV, can your hobos sleep in hotels around downtown? :-/ I don't have any hacks yet I built a couple of hotels around downtown.

This sounds like a great challenge! I may give it a try.
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 29th Apr 2009 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Valentine!
even though a hobo wouldn't actually be allowed to enter a cooking contest in RL.

I am friends with a man who hitchhikes all across the US and one of the ways that he makes money is to scrounge can goods to make "hobo stew" over an open fire which he enters in contests at local fairs. He wins a ribbon/prize about half the time.

I do admit that he cleans up for the contest...

Just call me Bigirish, okay?
Theorist
#98 Old 29th Apr 2009 at 7:56 PM
This sounds like fun, although I have to admit, if I was going to do it I'd have to make up a few of my own rules (ie: allowing sleeping in tent). When I started out on my Poverty Challenge it just about killed me that my poor Sim dude had to try to sleep on the ground (and I've slept on the ground before and got much better rest at it than a Sim does). Yes, I'm way too soft. I think even WITH a tent, this would be extremely entertaining, just trying to keep the other needs met and earn the money!

Now here's something I thought of: how many businesses are going to hire a homeless person to actually work as a barrista or bartender? LOL I'm thinking free-styling for tips would probably be a better idea. *shrugs* However, putting possibly a musical instrument on a community lot that they could play for tips, and count it toward their portable goods might be a good idea. If it was a violin or something small would be a good idea, but since we don't actually have any of those I'll have to give it some thought.

I'm definitely more into keeping to the spirit of a challenge than following the rules exactly.
Test Subject
#99 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 2:33 PM
I just started this challenge, and holy moly, it is tough. So far, I have been working as a barrista to save up for the art easel. Then it is going from place to place to cook hot dogs, use a public shower, etc. trying to get the stats up.

And yes, it is a lot easier to be homeless in The Sims than real life. For instance, I can cook all the hot dogs I want without paying, and I can get a job anytime I want.

I wish real life were like that. Anyway, this is a very good challenge!

Alright... did the challenge, with some variation, so the points do not count for this obviously.

I started out with no money. With my stats full, I took advantage of that and worked as a barrista for as long as possible. I made about $900 doing that. I went back to the lot and bought the art easel. Of course, as soon as I got to the lot I passed out.

By the time I woke up, all my other stats were near zero, so that was a serious challenge getting it back up. So it took half my life trying to sleep, eat and try to catch up the stats enough to paint.

With that, this guy wasted a lot of time. He would make hot dogs, but would wash the plates, serve it to others, and when his energy got too low, would stop eating, showering, etc. to get coffee. Not only did it waste time, it wasted money. That kind of made me mad.

After a while, I had enough money to get a portable lounge chair, and got some shut eye with that. So back and forth I went to the community lot back home, paint, and back again.

I made enough money to buy the tent. That's where I got disqualified. So, since I got disqualified, I went ahead and made more money to make a small one room shack. However, I did not get a telephone. I have about $400 so far, but this challenge was very, very difficult.

Oh two observations:

1. It was nice having all the hot dogs you want without paying for it.

2. It was really, really nice being able to work even though I smelled like a sewer.
Instructor
#100 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 8:42 PM
Sounds like fun, but why is fall disallowed? That seems a little unrealistic.
Page 4 of 11