Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 4:14 PM
Default I did something dumb... HELP ME!
I got curious about viewing my TS3 saved sims SIM Files. I was thinking if I could access the files and understand them, I could edit other SIMO and SIME files. Don't ask why... just a case of curiosity getting the better of me. I clicked on a file and the window asked which program to use to open the file. Well, I tried using s3pe, and Success! But, I forgot to unclick the tab to "always use to open all files of this type", and now all my SIM Files will only open with S3PE and can't be read by the game, and I have no clue how to change them back to their original format. What I did even changed the files in my back up copy of my game.

Not sure what computer info anyone needs to help me, but I have an HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Intel i5-5200U CPU.

If this was already covered somewhere and I missed it, please link me to it. Thanks all!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 4:55 PM Last edited by igazor : 19th Mar 2018 at 5:58 PM.
The changed file associations do not change the files themselves, only the way in which Windows sees them. These dictate which icons appear on the files' thumbnails and yes, which program will be used to auto-open the files using a double-click going forward. Unless you have renamed the files and changed their underlying extension, or actually changed stuff in S3PE and saved over the originals, they are still the same.

Other programs like the game don't care what the Windows file associations are, as long as they are really .sim files it will read them just as they did before. If this is really not happening now, I'm sorry but afraid something else has gone wrong with those files.