Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 2:45 AM
Default Does anyone else do this?
When an elder Sim gets to their last day, I send them shopping for new "formal" clothes early in the morning. Send them to the best restaurant in town for lunch, send them to a park to swing, fish, or just look around and enjoy, then go home to spend time with family, change them into formal wear, make sure aspiration is high, a last dinner with the family right before 18:00, then after dinner, the Grim Reaper comes.

This is usually what happens with my Sims on their last day.

They go to their "reward" with nice clothes, a full tummy, and high aspirations.
Advertisement
Meet Me In My Next Life
#2 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 3:15 AM
I really LOVE your idea of how you handle your elders, near the end of their time spend with the living, because they seem to have "one foot in the grave and one foot out", before the Grim Reaper comes.
So nice you have them spend their last days with friends and love ones and wear the formal clothes, I am sure your Sims will cry their eyes out when your elders go to Sims heaven or Sims hell ( lol )

In my game I do not have too many elders just the ones that came with the game already, like old man Goth ( Pleasantview ) but even then I don't let him died, because in my game my Sims live in a world of the "fountain of youth".
The only graves I have is from family that was left with family graves or tombstone, I transfer all of them to a very nice and well kept cemetery that I created, where they rest in peace (If a Sims visit there in the cemetery their ghost will sometime come out.) Thanks goodness for NightLife that made it possible to send graves and tombstone to a community lot or grave site.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 3:54 AM
I haven't had any elder sims the past two years due to playing slowly and a longer aging mod, but back when I did I would invite all the family over and make sure they were dressed nicely to suit their personality, not normally formal unless the sim themselves was a formal type. All my elders would be perma plat. I have probably had more sim pets die than actual sims.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Link Ninja
#4 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 4:00 AM
I just invite all their family over when it looks like they are on their last day, it makes everyone sad and blubbery but at least they got to see them one last time.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Test Subject
#5 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 4:57 AM
Just wondering but how do you know when its their last day?
Link Ninja
#6 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 5:22 AM
The little age bar at the bottom fills in and when it's full, it's pretty much their last day in living realm.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 5:56 AM
Oh, I always make sure the family is gathered for most of the day-I play it that the elder has an intuitive sense that they're going to die within 24 hours and that makes it mandatory that all the family gather. Everyone takes the day off, and the elder does whatever the elder wants-and no forcing them to work. So what if they just painted 10 paintings? They're happy and that's all that counts. Rarely do I have an elder who dies outside of platinum status.
PS-you can use Inge's 'days left' shrub to accurately time the family reunion.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 6:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jamesblackquill
Just wondering but how do you know when its their last day?

There's a "days left shrub" at Simlogical that will show you how many days any sim has left in their given age stage, including elder.
Edit: Here's the link to where you can find it: http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2Pages/Sims2_Aging.htm (Scroll down.)
Theorist
#9 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kunder
When an elder Sim gets to their last day, I send them shopping for new "formal" clothes early in the morning. Send them to the best restaurant in town for lunch, send them to a park to swing, fish, or just look around and enjoy, then go home to spend time with family, change them into formal wear, make sure aspiration is high, a last dinner with the family right before 18:00, then after dinner, the Grim Reaper comes.

They go to their "reward" with nice clothes, a full tummy, and high aspirations.

I didn't get deaths by old age in my game lately since my hood is fairly new and lacks amenities. There is no cemetery yet but I already had deaths by disease.
My founders are elders though so I'll give this nice idea a try.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 1:59 PM
This actually almost made me cry. That was so nice. I usually just do a family gathering (mostly just children, and sometimes grandchildren).

But I also like diversity plays, so some of my elder sims die alone or in misery. I know, quite cruel, but the thing I value the most in my game is diversity and reality (not too harsh o that second one). Haven't played sims 2 in some time tho...
Theorist
#11 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kunder

I have never tried something like this, but will definitely try and do something unique like it at some point. This is an absolutely beautiful thing to do, and really shows how much love you have for your sims. :lovestruc

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Forum Resident
#12 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 3:37 PM
I do invite family over, particularly if the sim lives in the retirement home. I have a no life insurance mod, so I give each of the children a gift (usually a TV, depending on net worth) in place of the life insurance.

The only ones I change are the former military to their formal uniforms. All their graves are sent to the War Memorial lot, so the ghosts are all dressed in the formal military uniforms based on their rank.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 3:47 PM
To be honest, I would just never let any of them die... it made me too sad

"'Why is Shinji blushing over everything Kaworu does,' you ask? He's gay..... gay gay gay gay gay" -Actual Kaworu
Forum Resident
#14 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 4:08 PM
How they spend their last day depends on the Sim at the time. The quality of life doesn't change for my Sims when they age to Elder; hey continue to live and enjoy life as normal. There are those that continue to work, run their businesses or retire if that's what they want. On their last day I allow them to go about their day as usual, fulfilling their wants of shopping, dining out, fishing, etc. I too, am a slow player - I'm into the 4th generation and it has literally taken 3 years for the last founder to passed away and their were only 3. When she woke up on her final day she had a desire to invite over her great-grandson. After he arrived, several of her other great-grandchildren, grandchildren and in-laws dropped by for a visit. It was a beautiful day, perfect for a BBQ, so she decided to grill some chicken for her guest (her idea), we turned on some music and set up the mahjong table outside. It was a perfect backyard party (except it took place in the front yard). She transitioned doing what she loved most - being surrounded by her family with good food, music and having fun.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 4:26 PM Last edited by Kunder : 17th May 2018 at 2:43 AM.
One exception I make is PT#9 Smith, for some reason, he's one of my favorite Sims, but only has 10 days left. If Bob Woods is in Strangetown, They seem to ALWAYS wind up best friends pretty quickly. They seem to be pretty compatible friendship wise.

Well, "Please Don't Wake the Llama" is as popular with my Sims, as Poker is with real people. Most families have the game. PT9, will go to Bob Woods house, and spend quite a while, chatting, and playing the game with Bob. PT9 goes home, Calls Bob, and invites him for dinner. He spends the day with his family, and Bob. I don't change his clothes.... Ever. That "Old man" Hawaiian shirt and shorts, seem to suit him best. Anyways, after dinner When he dies, Bob is always there. After that, Bob goes home. Jill, Jenny, Johnny (if I can get him home in time), and Sirleen, get drunk from the party keg, and cry themselves to sleep. Strangetown has a cemetery called "Smith-Specter Memorial Cemetery". That's where he is layed to "rest".

Bob then goes to (Granddaughter) Delilah O'Feefe's house, and spends time there dealing with his grief.
Delilah, is one of the most well kept Sims in my game. Bob gives her a yellow scooter, funds for college, and fixes up a car, painted yellow of course, and gives it to her as a graduation gift. Bob loves his granddaughter .

For some reason, it just doesn't feel right, if I deviate from this particular set of circumstances.

I only have a couple of "immortal" Sims. Bob Woods is one of them.

Oh, PT9, ALWAYS has his white on green, '55 Chevy (Thanx! Fresh Prince!). There is always a portrait of him, painted by Jill, standing beside it, hanging on the wall, in the garage, along with some tools on a bench, and Jill, and Sirleen's old child stuff.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 4:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SakuraKiss
To be honest, I would just never let any of them die... it made me too sad
I know. That's how I feel too, but if I didn't let "Smature" take its course, I'd quickly run out of room in my hood.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#17 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 4:47 PM
I have to say no - my sims die alone and unloved*

*not really but I don't invite the rellies over for death day

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#18 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 4:51 PM
I just hate killing Sims. My elders are probably 150 years old now! I'm not even crazy about aging them, though when their great-grandchildren already have kids, I reluctantly do it. I use face masks to age them.

I only kill seriously-glitched Sims. Usually quickly.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Link Ninja
#19 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 5:12 PM
On another note, I did have this old guy that was pretty much estranged from his kids and had no other family so on his last day in the living realm, he went gambling and hooked up with some of the ladies of the night in Pandora. I mean, he had a blast so it wasn't too sad for him.

Theorist
#20 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 5:15 PM
My elders always did everything they could once the rest of the family was moved out. They dated, went to community lots, vacationed, learned some crafting or whatever they didn't have time for before. PT spent a lot of his time painting and roaming the house to compliment himself on all his art on the walls everywhere, especially when it was paintings of himself in formal wear. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 7:45 PM Last edited by FranH : 14th Nov 2017 at 5:44 PM.
In Bellefleur there was one marvelous exception to Grim's appearance at 6 pm-that was when Gabrielle Borgia was on her last day-she had to wait for him! He was late, and he excused it by saying he missed a train. Of course he was lying.

Gabrielle was the best pixel ever, and he just didn't have the heart to take her quite so quickly. So he dawdled around and showed up at 8 pm.

Leave it to an aristocrat to make everyone wait for them! Of course when he showed up, he used her proper title, "Contessa Borgia"..which tickled her pink, and made her more amenable for the final journey.

The family, though, was devastated. She was the matriarch and ruled the household.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#22 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 9:12 PM
Yes! Funerals in my Sims' world happen before the sim dies, if they are going from old age.

The important family and friends gather around, they serve their favourite food (I should really learn to look up their *actual* favourite food...) and if they are the last in their household they transfer custody of any pets, hand out heirlooms, divide up cash on hand and then I work out the value of their house and divide that up, too.

Obviously if a sim dies suddenly, then it's a different process.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Alchemist
#23 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 9:42 PM
it has been awhile since Old Age happened in my game. though all Old Age in my game has been through either Spawn objects or hacks; aging the elder, selecting "Old Age".
pre-made elders; have had them use Elixir when they were about to die.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#24 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 1:34 AM
One of my most favorite Sims is Don Lothario, I never let him become an Elder, and I been playing Sims 2 since 2006 I have no idea what Don would look like as an Elder.
Like I said in my first comment above post#2 I don't age none of my Sims they live in a "World Of Fountain Of Youth". Gee I even have extremely hard time age up my Child Stage and Teen. being it is one of my favorite stage of the Sims.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 5th Nov 2017 at 1:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PenelopeT
I have never tried something like this, but will definitely try and do something unique like it at some point. This is an absolutely beautiful thing to do, and really shows how much love you have for your sims. :lovestruc
I do this because I treat all my Sims equally in the end. A lot of them (but not most) are just "supporting cast", as the most important Sim in that family, gets probably 75-80% of the attention... No matter HOW little a Sim has been played by me, on those last, few days, it is my way of letting them know that; "You were important, and the game would've never been the same without you." They ALL get their "15 Minutes" in the end. No sim goes to there reward, unattended, or unloved by me.... How sappy is that?

I used to be such a hard person, so to speak.... Sims have softened me up quite a bit, and put me in touch with a "better" part of myself.

If a good Sim were to pass without me feeling some sense of loss, I haven't done my job. Now, I'm getting more like that in my real, daily life.
Page 1 of 3