Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 6:54 PM
Default Getting, "Can't Place Step" notice when placing stairs
I remember this from so long ago, unfortunately, I don't remember the solution to it. I'm placing stairs (can be any building, right now it's a dorm) and I keep get the notice. I've removed any objects from within sight of where I'm trying to place them. I've turned on the "constrainfloors" cheat, moveobjects, deleted walls and it still pops up. What did I forget that resolves this situation =) Thanks. It's much appreciated.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 7:15 PM
Did you remove walls from the second story as well? For some reason that seems to cause the error also.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 8:11 PM
I did not. I'll try that. Thanks.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 8:34 PM
Okay, so another problem. I'm going to hijack my own thread. With the "dormSpecificTools" cheat. It allows you to modify special lots; dorms. But, you have to fiddle with something in build mode before it opens up all the other options besides floors and walls.

The last time I deleted the stairs they had in there and that worked, but since those stairs are deleted I now have access to nothing. I can't grab anything in build mode, I can only do walls and floors and garden. I guess I forgot this issue as well. Help? Thanks.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 10:10 PM
Dropper tool maybe. It's best to edit the dorm after changing it's zonning really.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 10:45 PM Last edited by ejnarts1 : 17th Dec 2017 at 11:37 PM.
Dropper tool is greyed out. And it's a pre-existing dorm from the in-game menu so I'd assume the zoning is already set to "dorm". Though, I can give that a shot.

That was a nope. Didn't anyone else have this issue way back when- well, or now if they're playing "2" that the other tools were greyed out until something was messed with. I really don't want to leave a full staircase on every dorm lot just so I can fiddle with it to get access, lol.

Anyone? Thanks.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 11:55 PM
You used the build cheat to open up the dorms buy and build and it's still greyed out? Yes it's best to change the zoning make your changes and change the zomning back to dorm.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 1:47 AM
I guess I'm special in that regard. Build and Buy weren't open until I did something to a build piece on the lot when I played years ago. How am I the only one who's experienced this? Odd. Well, the user-startup cheat doesn't seem to want to work either. But, I'll try that- changing the zoning to build anything on a special lot. Still really curious about the greyed out problem without the zoning. It's nagging at me, but thanks.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Dec 2017 at 3:18 PM
I have the same problem with dorm, also apartments (not being able to make cheat work to build).
ALSO - "move objects on" usually works to set modular stairs without removing walls on side.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Instructor
#10 Old 22nd Jan 2018 at 8:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ejnarts1
I guess I'm special in that regard. ...Still really curious about the greyed out problem without the zoning. It's nagging at me, but thanks.

I'm kinda familiar with this (fiddling with something in build mode to get access to the greyed out choices). I noticed it while using the dormSpecificTools.... cheat recently in a hotel. All I had to do was click on one of the icons that wasn't greyed, and then click on a random build object in the catalog that opened. When I clicked to go back to the general Build catalog, all the icons were then accessible. I think clicking on the collections tab or the buy mode tab also had the desired result. I was just using the cheat to test some stairs, but if you're doing any serious building you will probably be better off rezoning.