Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#2902 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 9:01 PM Last edited by vandringslust : 15th Feb 2017 at 9:34 PM.
i had two days off work so i've been playing, of course :D
as the second generation grew up i realised that they are all related (duh)... a problem i solved with the hacked wedding arch :/ a little nasty but i use their lack of knowledge about incest and genetics as an excuse... in those days, you took what you got ^^'

my simmies have now reached the iron age, and moved into little villages on top of hills with walls around them as they have discovered masonry. the romans have not colonised them yet, so they have six more turns of their own language and culture... i am looking forward to it though :D

wanted to add some pics to show you guys what they've been up to in the stone age, when they were living off nature and the sea, but my pictures are too big :/ another time for sure!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2903 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 12:43 PM Last edited by Frogsnack : 16th Feb 2017 at 12:57 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
I really want to start this challenge. But first, I want to play all the pre-made families first. Then build that movie studio lot in Belladonna Cove. And lastly, create a custom neighborhood that will hold the pre-made Sim Bin families and stealth neighborhood NPCs. Maybe create a 2nd neighborhood that will hold my Challenge Sims.

It's a great challenge and you could always take pre-made couples to start it and do a dry run. If you try to make everything too perfect you'll find yourself restarting it five times before the Roman era (just ask the rest of this board lol)

Update from my towns to all: I got nuthin. >.>'
Actually, I've been doing the Roman rounds, still in Gen 5 and I've been playing minimally. My Heritage site has too many sims to update so new babies aren't on there, and I have to look into a better geneology site but I didn't want to reupload things all over again (I also got distracted trying to turn the whole town into vampires in a different neighborhood- pic related). I was tempted to make a new heritage site for each gen honestly, but that sounds confusing, anybody got any ideas?

Following up with people here;
vandringslust- if you get around to it, we love pictures in here!

VP- What about making the plantsims a 3-gen playthrough after the modern age (as in apocalypse- then back to nature)? My plan for the 20 gen set is to add 2-3 more generations after the modern age to play into the future because I ahve it, then to followup up as if people have to rebuild again. I can limit technology to certain classes and have the world be split into tech vs nature if I like (a while before I'll have to worry about it though)

ToriOlivia- Congratulations for and welcome to the challenge! The names you came up with are great, good luck! Also I agree with Cespencer7, blogging is incredibly helpful to keep track in some way (part of the reason I started my Let's Play to be honest, I need the visuals to see what's going on). I'll answer your questionnaire in another post.

Lilli- Nice to meet ya! The neighborhood setup pics were helpful to see where your game is at, and yeah I seem to remember back in the early thread days people said you could mount extra fish on the wall to and put them on the floor to keep them from spoiling? But it's been so long since I've played Sims 2 that I don't recall if fish actually go bad of not. XD
Screenshots

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Field Researcher
#2904 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 1:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ToriOlivia
Hey everyone! I had a few thoughts and questions about the challenge and wanted everyone's opinion. Sorry if the questions have already been asked...

1) How are you all handling sickness in the Neanderthal Era? I didn't have many sims be sick, but I did have a glitch where I couldn't play one of my starting families and they ended up with only a few kids, and consequently became slaves. I say anything goes in the early part of a society. Pretend a tiger ate them, but mortality was definitely higher back in the day.

2) I've been planning ahead for the Roman Era and I'd do a random roll for that sim or family. The game sort of randomizes anyways so go with what is ultimately more fun. If you have a rule that keeps you from wanting to play because it's not perfect, I vote throw that rule out. If you like micromanaging your simmies *cough* me *cough* then go for it. I added CAS sims from places that the Romans were taking over, considered them to be slaves and so they were gifts to other families and ended up where I needed them. But of the starter families of Cove (Emperors) Bupkis (Patricians), Saulsons (Plebians) and the two slave families [because there weren't a lot of kids] (Edifice and Fahadeen), I needed enough workers in other households. I also used this to introduce new genetics which has been lots of fun. The CAS sims that I married into families as slaves were allowed the status of that family if they produced and heir, which is going to cause some problems soon because the Emperor's eldest child was a girl and she married a slave (a general from an enemy army) so now her children are the cause of some scandal in the fight for power, because the eldest male heir if they ignore her married a very dark skinned girl and they also now have claim to the throne. I can't wait for the chaos of it! mwahahaha...

3) What do you think of gradually changing original families surnames over the Eras to match the time period? I agree with the idea of this, but the only thing I'd say is make a system so you know what family is from which starter family, even if that just means you have to limit what letters thier names start with. For me I change surname endings so A Cove child will be a Covea, a Covale, a Covad, a Covette, a Covos etc. Longer names are more difficult because the Fahadeens and up really weird sounding as Fahadeenae etc.
Screenshots

Test Subject
#2905 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 5:15 PM
Frogsnack, thanks! your scandal sounds like a lot of fun, really makes me look forward to the roman era!

here we go :D
Screenshots
Inventor
#2906 Old 18th Feb 2017 at 12:45 AM
Frogsnack, that sounds lie a cool idea, having an apocalypse once the challenge is over. But that means I'd have to finish the challenge. And that means playing Sims.. But I've been so distracted lately by running a roleplay board with my sister and friend. On the plus side, this means my website is going to look so much more awesome, when I get around to it because I've learned how to read and somewhat write html code (and css which makes it pretty). But I haven't had much time to play sims. Sadly.

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Instructor
#2907 Old 19th Feb 2017 at 1:42 PM Last edited by lbsgirl24 : 21st Feb 2017 at 3:45 AM.
@Vandringslust going through the challenge unlocking something every round is a great idea. I'm also unlocking new technology and inventions but my method is based on skill levels. I wish I'd did something simpler because it doesn't look like they'll have enough technology when my first gen three sim becomes an adult. I was tossing up whether to skip over the last few unlocks (at the moment one group has gardening and another has building, they still need clothing, domesticated animals and possibly writing) or just take the extra time to get them done but I may borrow your idea of a little iron age settlement so they can unlock all the things and before growing into a big civilization. I really love the pictures.

News on my game: I'm a round behind on the blog updates and haven't played my sims for months and months but today I felt like some nice relaxing sims time and like an idiot I opened my ToT hood. I forgot just how intense this challenge could be. This time I'm having a lot of trouble getting my teenage sims to meet let alone pair up so I built another lot and a placeholder sim and invited all my teen and adult gen 2 sims round. In the space of three and a half in game hours I had two sims murdered (well two failed attempted murders on the same sim) and hearts flying everywhere. In hindsight probably not the most relaxing return to this hood. If anyone's curious the results are under the spoiler.

That brings me to another thing. I've pretty much worked out who will be pairing with who now but I have a lot of love triangles and I really don't want tons of jealousy related deaths when they start getting married. Any tips to handle it or should I just nuke hearts to simulate them growing apart from teenage loves?

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Field Researcher
#2908 Old 25th Feb 2017 at 8:13 PM Last edited by Frogsnack : 25th Feb 2017 at 8:26 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by lbsgirl24
That brings me to another thing. I've pretty much worked out who will be pairing with who now but I have a lot of love triangles and I really don't want tons of jealousy related deaths when they start getting married. Any tips to handle it or should I just nuke hearts to simulate them growing apart from teenage loves?

Hey lbsgirl24! Glad you got to play again, the teens are the craziest sometimes.
Poor Loni! Also maybe let them get married and make them have three kids before they're allowed to answer the door or go to a public lot?

Lab Assistant
#2909 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 9:00 AM
I just started this challenge yesterday and so far it's super fun! The only thing I was a little bit confused aout is wheter toddlers can be potty trained or not? I know the rules say 1 toilet per lot, but it also doesn't mention a crib for the baby. Does the crib count as one of the beds? I only have 1 baby in my first family, so it's not a problem yet, but I'm asking for future needs :D
Instructor
#2910 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 9:47 AM
@frogsnack that would be a really good way of handling it. I'm not sure how well it would work with my playstyle though as the next time a lover rocks up they will make out (and I don't want to lock my sims up for seasons on end), chances are the spouse will see it which means someone is going to die. I also have a massively high death rate so three kids is nowhere near enough to assure a family continues. I think I'll end up just nuking the hearts for now.

Funnily enough Loni and Summer are both gay so there's still hope for them to get together and find some happiness like that.

@ireke7 I think a lot of us have modified the rules to make things easier for our own playstyles so if there's anything you feel is appropriate/you can't play without just add it in. I personally don't potty train but I find it tedious to start with but I don't see the problem with potty training if it matches your playstyle better. With beds I personally give them as many baby/toddler mats, beds & tents as they want/need but they need to gather resources for them (soon I'll make them weave beds on the basket weaving station from plumbbob keep). I've also seen people count all the cribs as one bed. If you wanted the extra challenge you could make the crib count as a bed. It depends on your playstyle for example on of my first gen families had 12 members by the time the heir reached adulthood; I couldn't play with the five bed limit (especially counting cribs).

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Lab Assistant
#2911 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 3:56 PM
Well, one of my "white" families already died I forgot to add a roof, so they both got a heat stroke, mood dropped, weren't able to fish anymore, and died of hunger. So far, so good :D
Field Researcher
#2912 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 4:46 PM
It's really great to see more activity in this thread again. ^_^ I've had exams in February and then went on a skiing holiday last week, but now I finally have some free time to catch up with everyone's blogs/videos (and also my own blog ) and play the game again. :D

I also realised something ACR related. Basically, jealousy seems to depend on two different things. The normal jealousy setting (crush, love, engaged, married or none), but also the "level" of the chosen romantic interaction. ACR divides romantic interactions into 4 categories: low flirts, kisses and hugs (Wolf Whistle, Charm, Caress, Sweet Talk, Hold Hands, Romantic Hug, Peck, Tender Kiss, Kiss Hand, First Kiss), high flirts, kisses and hugs (Hit On, Suggestion, Goose, Serenade, Squeeze, Leap Into Arms, Kiss Up Arm, Romantic Kiss, Pin Kiss, Suck Face, Dance Kiss), Make Out (even though it seems to be mostly a high kiss?) and Woohoo.

I had a female fortune sim whose jealousy setting was either engaged or married (can't remember) and her husband kissed another woman in front of her and she didn't react. So, I did some experimenting and it turns out, she only reacted when her husband woohoo'd with that other woman. I don't know what defines from which level on they react jealous, though. So, it may even be directly related to the normal jealousy setting after all.

@vandringslust It's a really interesting idea to start with one man and four women. The big disadvantage is of course that all 2nd generation sims are siblings and all 3rd generation sims will be cousins (if the generations don't get mixed up =P). On the plus side, you're getting really fast past the first seasons which tend to be rather uneventful.

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Inventor
#2913 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 5:46 AM
There's this part of me that says to abandon this iteration of the challenge and start it over, using vandringslust's idea, but with several family groups... But then I think of how much I've done and how close I am to getting to a new era. And then the first part chimes in that I could separate out the plantsims even earlier, and the second part agrees with that, but then a third voice chimes in with all the work involved in setting up a new 'hood. And so I've done nothing. And I don't want to play anyway until I finish the plantsim lots. Lot two is half built, but I need to finish it, then build out lot 3. ~VP

Lab Assistant
#2914 Old 9th Mar 2017 at 12:07 AM
At More Awesome Than You they have a Realistic Sickness mod: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s....html#msg234447
Download it from the third page, reply #63.
Personally I'm waiting until the Dark Ages to install this to make the plague more realistic.
I have been rewriting the challenge to make it more realistic, have separate kingdoms with rules, cut down on excessive numbers of households, shorten eras and add more. I want this challenge to be more fun, and more doable. Like no one has reached the end of this! So mine I want that more possible. I've also had more possibilities for death in certain eras for balancing out. They live off the land in some interesting ways, which may lead to starvation in some instances. I did history research, but opted for fun sim challenge over accuracy.
It starts with one "kingdom", the Neanderthals of course. And while some kingdoms start huge, Romans, they don't stay huge. And some kingdoms start very small, Vikings only 1 household at first. I'm in favor of bigger households to have fewer households. Each kingdom is a different subhood. I installed a mod so that sims from other hoods won't walkby.
I even have climate change! Also the kingdoms don't all have the same seasons.
Here's a rundown of my plan, which still has a basis in the original:
Neanderthal 2 generations, begins with only 2 couples, ice age, in next era becomes Africa and seasons gradually change to all summer, 1 couple added each era until there are 5 families
Egypt 1 generation, begins with 1 couple for each class, has Hebrew slaves, when there are more slaves than Egyptians a scenario occurs which does include plagues and the slaves being freed and moving away to another land. An additional couple for the lower classes added in the next 2 eras.
Romans 1 generation, begins with each class having 1 more couple than the one above it, yes there is coliseum death, becomes Italy, some but not all of the Romans will leave during the Dark Ages.
Dark Ages 1 generation, new kingdom, that later becomes England, beginning with just enough sims to honor the dark ages original rules. Some of them from Rome. Vikings have their own kingdom and only men. They pillage Rome and England stealing the women to be their wives. Vikings become Netherlands after this era. Will also be a magic kingdom where you can act out fairy tales and nursery rhymes.
Renaissance 1 generation, mostly a rule change. Ottoman kingdom added because it's fun to play households with harems. Some criminals in England and Rome begin to be sent to America instead of put to death. Option to have knights kill off everyone in the magic kingdom by end of this era. But may continue the magic kingdom if having fun with it.
Pioneer era, undecided maybe 2 generations. If there aren't enough criminals, some added for America. Beginning with 13 couples, more if there were a lot of criminals, but then no new sims. There will be slaves with different rules for the north and south. There will be a slave trader who buys and sells with the Americans, but also travels to Africa. In Africa if they get mad at someone they sell that person to the slave trader. Yes that's sick, but that happened - tribes captured other tribes and sold them into slavery. Totally wrong but adds to sim drama. May decide to lengthen this era to have a change in slave laws over time. Europe will have some rules during this era that will be based on Downton Abbey. That show will also influence some of the rules for next few generations.
Victorian era, 1 generation, no new kingdoms
Edwardian, 1 gen, no new kingdoms
Titanic, less than a generation - determining length of voyage probably a few days, this will include a Titanic ship complete with different rules for different classes. Possibly 1 lot for each class while pretending they are all on the same ship. Of course most of them will die.
WWI, men will be sent off to war, many will die, lots of cultural change, not a full generation long - I'm thinking 2 sim seasons. This is a big part of why so many countries!
Great Depression, probably 3 sim seasons
WWII, probably 2 seasons Remember the Hebrews in Egypt? They become Jewish. There will be some death, but also people hiding others until the end of the war. Terrible time in our history, but playing it out get to have some wonderful heroes and get to kill Hitler at the end of the war.
Oldies, after all that death time for a fun era! As this is the era of teens, will last until any of the current children's children graduate from college. There will be an element of good girls vs bad girls. Also dating around before marriage. Although the rich upperclass may still arrange marriages.... And of course there will be some Leave it to Beaver type rules.
Hippies! Make love, not war! Will last until a current child graduates from college.
80s, more women working, more modern stuff
Reality era. In this era I want to do some fun things like a Survivor Challenge, Big Brother Challenge, Bachelor and Bachelorette challenges.
Hunger Games! With so many countries it is time to kill of the kids and teens in a malicious game for the capital's pleasure. Yes, based on the book series. This is one of the biggest reasons for creating a world. And countries that don't have many sims might not do very well. This will last until a sufficient number of sims have died and for as long as it seems fun. Undetermined length.
Divergent! Based on the first book in the series. I would like to narrow down the countries (which may be at a large number by now) to only 6. One for each faction and one for the factionless. And the beauty is now the sims will be grouped together by who they are and who they strive to be.
I have thought of having an apocalypse or space age. But the divergent era is so much fun I may just end there. I played it out some as a separate challenge and it was so much fun.

Currently I only have rules for Neanderthal and Egypt eras. Because after playtesting I began rewriting and so the other eras are no longer current on my website. If you are interested in details: http://sims2testoftime.weebly.com/
My Where Can I Find pages are amazing. I add to them almost every week.

Visit my Test of Time Challenge site: sims2testoftime.weebly.com.
Field Researcher
#2915 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VioletPadfoot
There's this part of me that says to abandon this iteration of the challenge and start it over, using vandringslust's idea, but with several family groups... But then I think of how much I've done and how close I am to getting to a new era. And then the first part chimes in that I could separate out the plantsims even earlier, and the second part agrees with that, but then a third voice chimes in with all the work involved in setting up a new 'hood. And so I've done nothing. And I don't want to play anyway until I finish the plantsim lots. Lot two is half built, but I need to finish it, then build out lot 3. ~VP

The hardest decision for every ToT player. XD And I think the best answer is still "Do what makes you want to play the game." All the progress you made in your current hood isn't really worth anything, if you don't want to play the hood anymore. On the other hand, if you really dread setting up a new hood that might not get you anywhere either?

Aaand I guess that wasn't really all that helpful. ^^" But I'm sure you're going to find a solution you're happy with. ^_^

Inventor
#2916 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 4:50 AM
Oh, the new hood is half set up now. I'm working on the plantsim lots right now so I can move those over. Then I need to grab my two community lots and edit them a little bit to make them more useful (such as adding the game from plumbob keep to the "Hunting Grounds" lot.) Then maybe I'll actually use those. Then I need to grab a copy of my teen lot, though I may just want to sketch out where everything is and re-create it so that I'm not moving a lot that has been lived on. After that, I just need to make my sims themselves and I'm all set.

While I love my sims, my somewhat forced hiatus has made me loose the connection to them. So I'll try again with a new batch. And you know what? I don't think I need my plantsim lots because having a ton of plantsims is annoying. So I think I'm going to limit plantsim spawnings this time around. And now I'm off to play in lot building. See y'all! ~VP

Field Researcher
#2917 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 11:54 AM
Ah, that's great to hear. ^_^ Though, your plantsim lots did sound like a great setup. But I guess I wouldn't want to play more than 1 or 2 lots of plantsims either. XD

Test Subject
#2918 Old 12th Mar 2017 at 1:51 PM
@lbsgirl24 - oh yes, unlocking by skills is actually also a great idea, really working for the improvements would make it a lot more challenging. the risk is that it would take some time getting to the roman era if there are a lot of skills to unlock, as you say too. the iron age settlement is actually a lot of fun so far, so feel free to try it out i have them living in four one-room apartments on the same lot, to divide them a bit but still have them in the same place.
having teens that aren't all related... how fun! can't wait until i have that in my game as well :P

@TheFlyingRaccoon - haha yes, the first seasons went by fast, but it was a bit challenging having a household with nearly 20 sims! at that point i decided to split them up for generation 3 to be born. and yes, it is a bit boring that everyone is related. not much drama, no cheating at all (of course) and only two fights so far... but i plan to solve it a bit by introducing a few roman families when the colonization starts

@VioletPadfoot, Chicklet & iireke7 - best of luck with your new hoods! :D

i haven't had much time to play as i got a new position at work and have had to go to the gym a loooot to release the stress... so i only just started the second round of the iron age. in the second round, they have been blessed with arts
Screenshots
Inventor
#2919 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 3:54 AM
So, the new 'hood is set up, my sims are made and moved in, and my website is ready to be updated with the new info. Now it's finally time to play! *makes sure Fraps is open for picture taking 'cause there are 25 new sims I need to document* I'll be back soonish (in a day or two) to let y'all know when the new sims are up on my site. ~VP

Inventor
#2920 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 4:41 AM
Being bad and double posting... Anyway! New hood is running. If y'all want to head over to my website and check out the new sims, feel free. I also updated the picture on the home page of my site. I'm rather proud of it, if only b/c its only got pics from my challenges. But I'm likely to change it once I pull all my pics off the old (dying) computer. There's alot of ToT pics to choose from over there, and I really like the way some of those guys look. Note To Self: Grab the files of those starter sims off the old computer. I can put them into this challenge next era when I add new sims in. See y'all later! ~VP

Lab Assistant
#2921 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 10:18 PM
Checking in again, I finally made it to the Roman age, I only have 3 last names left, because one couple died before having any kids and another one had only daughters,
It was a pain having ghosts on the lot, they scared all of my kids and many of them died and as a result, I had more ghosts. So glad that we have a graveyard in the Roman stage.
So far, my slaves in other families keep fighting each other resulting them to die, which is annoying. But the game is getting more and more addicting and I'm basically playing all the time I'm not at work :D
Field Researcher
#2922 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 2:09 AM
@VioletPadfoot Looking forward to your first updates. ^_^
@vandringslust Oh, right. I hadn't even realised that this means no cheating when I wrote my post. D: That's kind of a pity, though.

@iireke7 "Finally". You do know that most of us are playing this challenge for years without ever getting to the roman age? XD But it's great to hear that you've gotten that far. Though, isn't it getting complicated to match people up with only 3 (well, genetically there are still 4) families left?
As far as ghosts are concerned, I'm using Cyjon's ghost hacks and they make having ghosts around much more agreeable. I still think it's amazing to have your dead sims around and them not simply being completely gone.

I also completely feel you about the game getting more and more addicting. The farther you get and the more complex your hood gets, the more exciting it is to play the game. I've finished playing round 10 and spent the last days updating my database and spreadsheets and cropping and uploading my photos. Now, I "just" need to write the blog posts and I can start with the next round. Considering that I'm travelling the next few weeks that might take me some time, though. XD But I'm actually getting my first generation 3 adults next round, so I'm really excited. Only took my 1 1/2 year to get there... *cough*

The great thing about this challenge (and Sims 2 in general) is that even after playing it for so long (I started my first ToT hood 4 years ago), I still get to see new things every round. This round for instance I actually had my first sim (in any ToT hood) die in a fire and the first sim in my current hood die due to sickness. Might seem strange to get all excited about that, but that's how it is. XD I also saw a pregnant female rubbing her belly for the first time. :> I knew that they could do it, but somehow I've never caught them doing it before. =P

Lab Assistant
#2923 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 9:52 AM
@TheFlyingRaccoon Yes! Genetically I have 4 families left. But sice there are marriage limitations anyway, I think I'll have relative marriages. I don't have a hack for that (haven't found one), but I'll just move in 2 people and use the Tombstone of Life and Death to make the woman pregnant. After all, relative marriages were quite common way back when.

What do you do with sims, who have nobody to marry with? For example if you have 10 girls and 15 boys in one generation. I'm not there yet, but I guess it won't be long. Living single, or waiting in the faily bin until they have someone to marry? Or any other suggestions ?
Field Researcher
#2924 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 11:28 PM
You can use the hacked wedding arch found here to marry sims that are related. You can find simple wooden recolours over at the PBK.

I generally have sims who don't get married live with one of their siblings. Either they just stay in the household they were born in or if that one gets too full, they tag along when someone else moves out. Spare sims usually make great babysitters for their nephews and nieces. And additional caretakers are particularly useful when using the triplets & quads mod. XD

Page 117 of 128