Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2020 at 5:40 AM
Default What's your ideal lifespan?
Hi there, I'm sure there's tons of other threads on this topic but I was mostly just curious to see what other people have theirs at.

I'm realizing the lifespan I usually play is too long for me to get through more than 2-3 generations without getting bored.
I don't have the game open so these aren't exact, but here's it roughly:
Baby - 4 days
Toddler - 10 days
Child - 20 days
Teen - 30 days
YA - 50 days
Adult - 40 days
Elder - 30 days

I'm considering shortening it the next time I play in hopes that if things go a bit faster I'll be able to get through more generations before I quit.
What do you find works best for you?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 16th May 2020 at 5:28 PM
I prefer maximum age length for all categories, then turn down to the minimum for babies, toddlers, and children once my active household(s) start having them. Once I get a teenager, I tend to turn down the age length to 1/2 the maximum. I only do this so that the inactive households don't progress as fast (I also turn immigration and emigration off).

Always do your best.
Alchemist
#4 Old 16th May 2020 at 6:04 PM
I set the lifespan minimum for the babies, 4 days for toddler, usually 14 for kids and teens. The elders get 10 days. Young adult and adult usually get the 21 days but sometimes they may get more or less, depends how I feel while playing every generation. Very interesting ones gets more, of course.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 16th May 2020 at 9:47 PM
I stick to the default 90 days. I move some time out from the Teen and Adult states to make Child and YA longer, but it's still 90 Days total.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 17th May 2020 at 12:25 AM
I use the default. It is fine for me.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 17th May 2020 at 2:45 AM
I switch it to have similar age lengths as sims 2. I think it works out to 96ish days total

aka fir3princ3ss
My Youtube Channel
Currently playing:
-Medieval Charter Challenge on The Sims 2
-Ye Olde Royal Kingdom Challenge on The Sims 3
Forum Resident
#8 Old 17th May 2020 at 4:54 AM
I have two now where I have an 85 day lifespan based on human ages (I used the rough ages of 1 Sim day = 1 human year). I also have a longer one now where it's about 3 Sim days = 1 human year also based on those age groups. I'm doing a homeworld university so I felt like I needed to have things slow down a bit or else university would take too long, lol.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 17th May 2020 at 12:52 PM
I use a 124-day lifespan, using the extra days for Child & Teens (12 and 21), and keeping the Baby & Toddler at minimum (2 and 5). YA & Adults get 30 days each, and Elders at 24. They usually live to 130 days, while "immortal" Sims live to 180+ days.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 17th May 2020 at 4:32 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 18th May 2020 at 1:11 AM.
How about this? Not tested, but it's a combination of settings I see online.

Lifespan: Long
Baby: 3 Days
Toddler: 7 Days
Child: 7 Days
Teen: 14 Days
Young Adult: 21 Days
Adult: 21 Days
Elder: 17 Days
Total: 90 Days

For Seasons:
Winter: 7 Days
Spring: 7 Days
Summer: 9 Days
Fall: 7 Days__
Total: 30 Days

The extra few days rounds a 'year' to 30 days, and ensures that the holidays are shuffled around and don't end up on the same day of the week each season.

TBH for some hoods I just play with aging off, and manual aging.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 17th May 2020 at 4:34 PM
My lifespan is:

Normal:
Baby 3 days
Toddler 3 days
Child 6 days
Teen 7 days
YA 21 days
Adult 25 days
Elder 20 days

85 days total

Long:
Baby 12 days
Toddler 12 days
Child 24 days
Teen 28 days
YA 84 days
Adult 100 days
Elder 40 days

300 days total

I have seasons set to 4 days as well.
Test Subject
#12 Old 17th May 2020 at 11:09 PM
Seasons are 6 days for me, and I do the following for generations:

Baby 4 days
Toddler 8 days
Child 12 days
Teen 18 days
YA 28 days
Adult 28 days
Elder 18 days

I start my generations with YA parents so by the time their first kid is within their teens, the parents age up to adults.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 18th May 2020 at 3:00 AM
Baby: 3
Toddler: 7
Child: 12
Teen: 14
YA: 30
Adult: 30
Elder: 17

113 days total. I tend to play with supernatural sims like fairies and genies so their lifespan tends to be longer, but I still have a fun time! Also, my seasons are 10 or 14 days each depending on the world I play.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 18th May 2020 at 3:20 AM
When it comes to seasons in temperate climates, I give Spring, Summer, and Fall the maximum length and winter the minimum length. If I wanted to simulate the proportion of the length of seasons in the Puget Sound area, summer would be almost as short as winter. If I wanted to simulate the Inland Northwest (which is how I imagine Appaloosa Plains to be like), I make Spring and Fall the short seasons.

Always do your best.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 18th May 2020 at 5:44 PM
My life span is pretty similar to yours:
Baby 3 days
Toddler 10 days
Child 20 days
Teen 30 days
Young Adult, Adult 45 days
Elder 36 days

I have my seasons set at 16 days and my moon cycle set at 8 days. As for having the different places have different weather from the default, I use Nraas' Tempest. I wish I could remember where I got the file that has all of the standard and store world's data based on real world locations. Puget Sound would be close to what they have for the University setting (which is Cambridge, Mass.) so you'd only have to tweak it a little bit. It makes it so the weather is different for every town (though my people in Twinbrook do miss out on snow).
Test Subject
#16 Old 18th May 2020 at 6:05 PM
My lifespan is this:
Baby 2 (actually I age them up right away)
Toddler 7
Child 12
Teen 14
Young Adult & Adult 35
Elder 13

It works pretty nicely with 5 day pregnancy mod, although I have been experimenting with Child and Teen stage lengths. I have my seasons at the default 7 days, and enable them all in all worlds because I don't care for realism especially when it makes for less fun gameplay.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 18th May 2020 at 7:08 PM
I also use nraas tempest for town-specific seasons setting. I found a preset on tumblr that has settings for all of the EA worlds based on their real life equivalent (e.g., Lucky Palms is based on Vegas weather).
Field Researcher
#18 Old 19th May 2020 at 2:43 AM
I have mine set on Normal settings with 90 days and some adjustments.

Baby: 2 Days
Toddler: 5 Days
Child: 9 Days
Teen: 15 Days
Young Adult: 22 Days
Adult: 22 Days
Elder: 15 Days

I feel like the Toddler stage is too long and the Child stage is too short, so I took away two days from Toddler and added it to Child. I also took one day from Baby and added it to Teen. Elders lost two days and Young Adults and Adults gained one day each.

All's fair in love, war, and video games! ~LyokoGirl5000
Field Researcher
#19 Old 19th May 2020 at 3:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme
I also use nraas tempest for town-specific seasons setting. I found a preset on tumblr that has settings for all of the EA worlds based on their real life equivalent (e.g., Lucky Palms is based on Vegas weather).
Care to share the link with the rest of us (at least if you remember it)? I'm interested in it, and I'm sure others in this thread would be.

Anyway, I don't have TS3 installed right now, but IIRC, here are my "default" lifespan settings:
  • Baby: 5
  • Toddler: 10
  • Child: 20
  • Teenager: 30
  • (Young) Adult: 45 each
  • Elder: 36+

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right
Forum Resident
#20 Old 19th May 2020 at 3:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by G-Mon
Care to share the link with the rest of us (at least if you remember it)? I'm interested in it, and I'm sure others in this thread would be.

Anyway, I don't have TS3 installed right now, but IIRC, here are my "default" lifespan settings:
  • Baby: 5
  • Toddler: 10
  • Child: 20
  • Teenager: 30
  • (Young) Adult: 45 each
  • Elder: 36+

Sure! https://potato-ballad-sims.tumblr.c...ing-by-gcirelli
Test Subject
#21 Old 19th May 2020 at 4:53 PM
What does Tempest do?
Forum Resident
#22 Old 19th May 2020 at 8:10 PM
Spring-93 days
Summer-94 days
Autumn-89 days
Winter-89 days
Year- 365 days

Pregnancy-6574 hours/9 months (The anticipation to finally see some information such as skin tone, gender and hair color(CC) of the newborn is even more exciting and then aging up to toddlers to see even more genetics of which parent or grandparent do they take after the most. Or sometimes they are a combination of both parents features which is really cool.)

Infant-93 days
Toddler-1,460 days
Child-2,920 days
Teen-2,555 days
Young Adult-7,300 days
Adult-9,125 days
Elder-13,140 days

The only time skip is from 3 months to 1 year. I like being able to put an exact age on all my Sims. Also, I no longer have a need to pause aging because their lifespans match real life but the Sim version of it. Despite spending way more time with my Sims than average, I'm still always learning new things about them. And the A.I. always keeps things dynamic, therefore, consistently entertaining for longevity's sake just like I read about from the A.I. designer's document about Versu concerning his previous game, The Sims 3.

Still.Not.Bored. Almost 11 years and counting still playing TS3.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Mad Poster
#23 Old 19th May 2020 at 8:31 PM
I've got 15 days for each season and 30 day pregnancies.
Here's the breakdown of days for each stage.
babies -60
toddlers-120
children-360
teens-180
young adults -540+
adults -1080+
elders -540+
I had to edit the age settings in notepad instead of using the age sliders to get that.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 19th May 2020 at 10:02 PM
I saw this post on reddit that said if a Sim pregnancy is 3 days, that means a year is 4 days. That's why my long setting is 4 Sim days = 1 human year (I said 3 up there, but that was a mistake. It's 4).
Field Researcher
#25 Old 20th May 2020 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by amanda1
What does Tempest do?

Tempest takes the weather system that came from Seasons and makes it much more flexible.

You can have it set so hail can damage crops, insects don't spawn during the winter, leaves dissapear after fall, etc. along with making it so you can create and save a weather profile for a town. For example, you can set it up so it very rarely snows in Twinbrook or so it never rains during the summer in Egypt. And if you travel, you can load a different profile for wherever you are visiting.

Some people have created settings files that you can download and import into your game that have already made weather profiles based on real world temperatures and rain chances. With the same places as above, the profile for Twinbrook might be based on New Orleans and Egypt based on Cairo.
Page 1 of 2