Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Dec 2023 at 9:01 PM
Default Using fire effects in CAW
My current world is a desert world based on Dragon age area and like in the original, I also placed a couple of firelight spots in the desert. I used the "firepitburning" effect and it looks good but there's a problem. The fire burns nicely in CAW - both daytime and night time - but when I go to EIG, the fire doesn't burn. I really need those light to work and I'm debating with myself whether to remove the effect and replace it something else or leave it. Does anyone know how this effect works in normal gameplay if placed in CAW?
Screenshots
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Dec 2023 at 11:13 PM
I think it probably needs to be in live mode (play mode). CAW has time passing but it's paused in EIG. Once in-game it should work okay, although you'll need to play then save and reload the world to get the effects working properly. Also, some effects are one time (they'll play for one duration then stop), so if the one you are using is like that you can get around it by placing it on a tomb lot and having it switch triggered by something your sim does (like walk near it).
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Dec 2023 at 9:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I think it probably needs to be in live mode (play mode). CAW has time passing but it's paused in EIG. Once in-game it should work okay, although you'll need to play then save and reload the world to get the effects working properly. Also, some effects are one time (they'll play for one duration then stop), so if the one you are using is like that you can get around it by placing it on a tomb lot and having it switch triggered by something your sim does (like walk near it).

Oh my goodness, the time factor never even came to my mind. So that's why it doesn't show up in EIG. That is so good to know.

These lights are out in the desert and not in a lot, so the tomb thing wouldn't work but hopefully this particular effect is continuous. Oh, and I wasn't aware of the save and reload thing. Thank you so much for your help. I feel much more sure with my world now.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 16th Dec 2023 at 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sorceress Supreme
Oh, and I wasn't aware of the save and reload thing.

Yes, I find that playing a new save in a world, the effects tend to all show as fog. I made a world with lots of effects, such as rats running around in an alley, birds flying and sparks shooting out of the subway grate, and on first play they show up as fog everywhere! Very confusing! Save and reload seems to initialise everything.

Let us know if your fire effects work, they look great! Good luck!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th Dec 2023 at 3:22 PM
In one of the worlds I did the waterfalls do not start until I zoom the camera way in and back out and then they work from that point. This can all drive us a bit nuts at times.

I love the idea of using fire effects! Hope you can get this to work.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Dec 2023 at 10:28 AM
Thank you both for the info and good to know about the fog effect. Seeing that instead of fire would've definitely sent me into a panic mode. I'll report back once the world is exported and in testing.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 11th Jan 2024 at 10:20 AM
I placed some fire effects directly in CAW and when I played a test save of my world, they all showed up animating perfectly. I didn't even look at them from EIG, but I wouldn't be surprised if they look static? I have hope yours will work, too. Sometimes, ya really just gotta test your world, as annoying as that can be. Hope this helps.

Sims 3 ID, Origin, Twitter , etc.: SimmerLella
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Jan 2024 at 2:21 AM
I've been playtesting my world for few days now and just wanted to report back that the fire burns perfectly. It burns both day- and nighttime and I didn't even have to save the game. It burned right from the start just fine. This is an excellent fire effect, which I'm probably going to use in the future projects, as well.
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 21st Jan 2024 at 11:59 AM
That looks really good! Very effective.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Jan 2024 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
That looks really good! Very effective.

Thank you. It could be really good for making a burning trash can, burning car wreckage or something like that, as well.