Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Feb 2016 at 9:05 PM
Default Undertale?
I rate it TEM OUTTA TEM!!!!!

Anyone played this game and thought it kinda set a bar for some AAA games that are going to be released? What's your opinion on the game's angle and approach to the popular RPG combat system?

Do you also have theories to certain characters and the game itself?

I'm really curious to see what others have to say about it.

Manufactured Memoirs - a Sci-Fi sims tale
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 20th Feb 2016 at 10:29 PM
I did get emotional at the end with the "don't give up no matter what" but that was mostly due to the music. Some of the music is far better than what the game deserved and I think it really helped, no, CARRIED the game. Wasn't really invested until halfway through. But when Undertale gets things right, it kinda nails it. The good parts are gooood, but imo it's not full quality 100% of the time. But after the true pacifist ending I was feeling good, cured of depression, and feeling no attraction to ruining it with the genocide option.

The sad part is, some people refuse to try it or they play an hour with full nazi-like skepticism and leave before the game has a chance to show its best. But then, they should at least like Sans and Papyrus or the game may not be for them, can't please everybody.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Feb 2016 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
I did get emotional at the end with the "don't give up no matter what" but that was mostly due to the music. Some of the music is far better than what the game deserved and I think it really helped, no, CARRIED the game. Wasn't really invested until halfway through. But when Undertale gets things right, it kinda nails it. The good parts are gooood, but imo it's not full quality 100% of the time. But after the true pacifist ending I was feeling good, cured of depression, and feeling no attraction to ruining it with the genocide option.

The sad part is, some people refuse to try it or they play an hour with full nazi-like skepticism and leave before the game has a chance to show its best. But then, they should at least like Sans and Papyrus or the game may not be for them, can't please everybody.

The game does lack in a few areas and tends to be a drag if you pursue Neutral (honestly, it's torture to endure!) but the music did justice and served well. Especially Hopes and Dreams - Save the World which was a perfect fir for the final Pacifist fight. I couldn't even stomach thinking about the Genocide route after starting the game up again and coming across a welcome from Flowey.

That's actually pretty true! The game may seem like it's dragging itself along at first but if you stick through you get to see the cool stuff! Sans and Papyrus defy both the logic, mystery and humour of the game. .. . and I love 'em for it! :D

Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 22nd Feb 2016 at 6:09 PM
The game broke it's own fourth wall... I know that Deadpool game broke it's 4th wall, but this one is whole in that sign. The game itself is the 4th wall breaking machine, and I love it. It's original enough, and has a solid humor ( sometimes not that good).

The only thing that I find as a flaw is that it's designed to be played as a true-pacifist, and after that, genocidial run. If you are first playing the game, not knowing how to get most out of it, you'll probably find it barren and lacking. The only real way to play the game with getting the full potential out of it is to inform yourself about the game nature, and then start playing it. Devs have probably considered this, but decided to trade playability with art, thus creating the Undertale we know today.

Also, most of the community is far from saving. Some good games drag the good community behind them (The Sims), and others don't. But it's not the game's fault.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 11:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
The game broke it's own fourth wall... I know that Deadpool game broke it's 4th wall, but this one is whole in that sign. The game itself is the 4th wall breaking machine, and I love it. It's original enough, and has a solid humor ( sometimes not that good).

The only thing that I find as a flaw is that it's designed to be played as a true-pacifist, and after that, genocidial run. If you are first playing the game, not knowing how to get most out of it, you'll probably find it barren and lacking. The only real way to play the game with getting the full potential out of it is to inform yourself about the game nature, and then start playing it. Devs have probably considered this, but decided to trade playability with art, thus creating the Undertale we know today.

Also, most of the community is far from saving. Some good games drag the good community behind them (The Sims), and others don't. But it's not the game's fault.

It really shocked me how they tied the game to the player instead of just speaking to them like they know they're there. And the way they used SAVE and LOAD also made the game tie-in to the whole fourth wall breaking thing it had going. I guess expecting a lot of the game would lead to everyone's downfall. *nudge nudge* *cough* Sims franchise *cough*

The game kinda just hurtles itself at you too. Lots of RPG players will be so used to killing everything that they tend to mess with the game's endings and everyone's reaction to them. I guess that's why the Genocide ending is there??? I kinda dislike most of the fandom tho; because why is Toriel a sexy momma goat???!!! Rule34 hits the Internet in the worst ways