Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 9:32 AM
Default About the Download
Hi
I havent downloaded a Sims2 game before,and was thinking about D/Ling Pets.
I was wondering, after I D/L it, how do i run it? I heard that you have to run it from EA Downloader?
Also, if I do DL it,can I burn it to disc and run it as a backup?

cheers

Advertisement
#2 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 5:39 PM
i think you would have to burn it anyway.
#3 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 6:20 PM
I don't think he wasn't talking about stealing it, he meant paying for it and downloading it legally from Maxis, which is something quite a few people have talked about.

Mainly just mentioning that incase that's why he's banned.
#4 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 7:17 PM
Oh geez, that couldn't be why he's banned hopefully.

Or someone wasn't thinking in context of the recent news...
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
#5 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 7:29 PM
It's already sorted out, guys.
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 12:40 AM
Hi
Im unbanned now. I WASNT discussing downloading illegally, and incase anybody wants to accuse me, the download link is here:
http://account.ea.com/commerce/prod...ylu6CmaMVAAAKDw.

If I WAS to download it,it would be from the EA DOWNLOADER!
SO, if anybody knows,how would I run the game? I heard that you have to be on the Internet to play it,etc.
Does anybody know?
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
#7 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 12:50 AM
Callum I used the EA downloader for FFS. Basically you run their little program and have to be logged in (so yes you do have to be connected to the internet). It did download a folder with what looked like the CD files (what you'd see looking at the cd when it's in your drive) but I never tried to burn it and play it from a CD. I just used the downloader as my internet is always connected.

I've gotten glamour since, but I have another computer so I can try installing up to FFS, burning what the EA downloader downloads and see if it'll play.

However, somehow I'm thinking it won't - way too easy to screw with. The error messages I got forcing me to use the EA downloader to launch the game said that I had to be logged in to verify ownership.
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 1:03 AM
discord,thanks for clearing that up. Im now wondering if it will be worth getting it from the EA Downloader thing.
I wish we had wireless internet,lol.as i connect the modem to my computer with a 10meter cable,lol!
It will be good if it DOES work,( burning FFS/Pets to a Dvd then running) as I dont think my parents would appreciate a cable running through the house all the time,lol!

But I guess it stops copied versions from being passed around then,eh?

Thanks anyway ^-^
#9 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 1:48 AM
I think it's more designed to people who have wireless/always online when the pc is on kinda thing.
Stupid people are stupid
#10 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 8:12 AM
But when you have to be logged in to the EA site when you want to play, that's not great at all. I mean, with their site being down a lot of time.... That would mean you can't play when their site is down.
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 10:51 AM
I think Ill leave it then, :'( unless there IS a way to play it without being on the internet
thank you ^-^
Field Researcher
#12 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 11:10 AM
That... really stinks, having to be connected to the internet to play. O.O

Twitter | Tumblr | YouTube

28/11/07
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
#13 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 3:58 PM
One thing I found was that I could log into the EA player, launch the game, log out of the EA player and continue playing fine with the game already going.
#14 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 4:00 PM
...meh, still. I often play the Sims when I can't get online.

Like when I go visit gradma for a week. (snorefest)
Original Poster
#15 Old 7th Oct 2006 at 1:02 AM
discord,thats interesting..:D
ANYWAY!!! If you download it, you get a BandiCat!
http://account.ea.com/commerce/prod...89PQCmaMdAAAKDw. <-found that myself
And you can start to get it from 9th October and finish it on 18th <-From snooty

:D
Scholar
#16 Old 7th Oct 2006 at 3:29 AM
wow it takes that long to download..or am i miss understanding you?...also if i was to d/l it from ea would i forever need to be connected to have the pets ep in my game or when they get th enext ep will i not have to worry if i bought that game on a cd? did that make sense?

check out my uploads here updated May 15, 2008
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Oct 2006 at 4:43 AM
dragon, it takes about 6hrs depending on your internet,lol! i couldnt really understand,but by what ive read,you need to be connected whenever you wanna play it...but if you get the next EP/SP,then install ove it, you dont need to be connected unless you DL it
Field Researcher
#18 Old 9th Oct 2006 at 8:32 AM
I dl'd both FFS and Glamour, and while I had to be online for FFS, it dosen't appear to be that way for Glamour. I will double check it when I get home.

I'm umming and ahhing about getting Pets by download. Its whether I can save it to disk.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 9th Oct 2006 at 9:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dragon_tfm
wow it takes that long to download..or am i miss understanding you?...also if i was to d/l it from ea would i forever need to be connected to have the pets ep in my game or when they get th enext ep will i not have to worry if i bought that game on a cd? did that make sense?

I bought the disk for FFS, but I got the Glamour stuff as a download. Once downloaded, you can either leave the install and run the game (No CD needed,) or you can burn a disk, and run it that way (no safedisk application.)

I have run the game without an internet connection (after the initial download) so there should be no cause for concern.

I hadn't heard that Pets would be a download, or I would have ordered that. As it is, I preordered to get the kitty.

Peace

I am not bigoted for race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, or age... I do, however, have a big problem with stupidity, and stupidity knows no boundaries.
Original Poster
#20 Old 9th Oct 2006 at 10:00 AM
LE,if you download it you get the kitty too :D
But I seriously wanna D/L it,but I wanna download the 99% tonight,then the last 1% on the release.But to D/L it to mine,I have to hook a 10m long cable to my modem and my PC.Will that work? (disconnecting after 99% then reconnecting on release day?)
Field Researcher
#21 Old 9th Oct 2006 at 10:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by callum91
LE,if you download it you get the kitty too :D
But I seriously wanna D/L it,but I wanna download the 99% tonight,then the last 1% on the release.But to D/L it to mine,I have to hook a 10m long cable to my modem and my PC.Will that work? (disconnecting after 99% then reconnecting on release day?)

I may be misunderstanding what you mean here, but.. if you are asking if you can download a portion of Pets now, then complete when it is released, I think the answer is no.

They're aren't giving a head start to download for those with slower connections.

If I am misinterpreting what you are asking, I apologize. If that is what you are asking, and someone else has information that I don't... I hope they chime in.

As far as the cable... would it be easier to just move your computer closer to the modem, until the download is completed?

Peace

I am not bigoted for race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, or age... I do, however, have a big problem with stupidity, and stupidity knows no boundaries.
Original Poster
#22 Old 9th Oct 2006 at 10:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LE102071
I may be misunderstanding what you mean here, but.. if you are asking if you can download a portion of Pets now, then complete when it is released, I think the answer is no.

They're aren't giving a head start to download for those with slower connections.

If I am misinterpreting what you are asking, I apologize. If that is what you are asking, and someone else has information that I don't... I hope they chime in.

As far as the cable... would it be easier to just move your computer closer to the modem, until the download is completed?

Peace

Hmm,Im not really good at making things understandable,lol!
What I mean is,my PC is in my room. And the normal PC is next to the modem,which is broadband.
Im not allowed Sims on the normal PC,thats why I have mine.
To go on the Net on mine,I hook a cable up from the modem,to my PC.
I was hoping that I could download as much as they let you before the release.If I start now,it should be finished by morning.
THen on release day,18th,could I reconnect my PC to the modem and finish that final 1% ?
Field Researcher
#23 Old 9th Oct 2006 at 10:17 AM
Hmm,Im not really good at making things understandable,lol!
What I mean is,my PC is in my room. And the normal PC is next to the modem,which is broadband.
Im not allowed Sims on the normal PC,thats why I have mine.
To go on the Net on mine,I hook a cable up from the modem,to my PC.
I was hoping that I could download as much as they let you before the release.If I start now,it should be finished by morning.
THen on release day,18th,could I reconnect my PC to the modem and finish that final 1% ?

Okay, I see what you mean. But, unfortunately they are not allowing for downloads before the actual release date (October 18, if I recall correctly.)

As far as the 10m cable issue. I was suggesting that instead of running a cable 'through your house,' you just move your computer closer.. do the download using the broadband connection, then move your computer back to where you normally keep it. You should not need to maintain an internet connection to play the game, once you have it downloaded.

Does that make sense? I realize that English is not your primary language, so.. I hope you are understanding what I am trying to explain.

Peace

Original Poster
#24 Old 9th Oct 2006 at 10:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LE102071
Okay, I see what you mean. But, unfortunately they are not allowing for downloads before the actual release date (October 18, if I recall correctly.)

As far as the 10m cable issue. I was suggesting that instead of running a cable 'through your house,' you just move your computer closer.. do the download using the broadband connection, then move your computer back to where you normally keep it. You should not need to maintain an internet connection to play the game, once you have it downloaded.

Does that make sense? I realize that English is not your primary language, so.. I hope you are understanding what I am trying to explain.

Peace

I thought they were allowing to download most of it before the release?
In the EULA thing they said you can download the final 1% on release.
There isnt really any space for another computer near,lol.
And english is my 1st language,lol,I just cant seem to explain and make it make sense,lol!
Field Researcher
#25 Old 9th Oct 2006 at 10:35 AM
I thought they were allowing to download most of it before the release?
In the EULA thing they said you can download the final 1% on release.
There isnt really any space for another computer near,lol.
And english is my 1st language,lol,I just cant seem to explain and make it make sense,lol!

Okay, I just checked thru the Sims2.com site, and I was evidently mistaken. They are starting a pre-download on the tenth (tomorrow, here in the States.)

From the messages I read, you have to have an active internet connection in order to validate the license. There doesn't seem to be an answer to if it's a validate once, or a continual connection. I would assume it's a validate once.

I guess I'm really not much help here.. lol You knew more than I did about the download... and I can't really help about the connection.

LOL.. sorry about that...

Peace

Page 1 of 2