Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#76 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 9:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
No one is saying that "you should do this or that" in regards to naming files or whatever it is. It's just how that person prefers to do it or what they prefer to see.

Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Another thing to is that many people sort/organize their Downloads folder in many different ways. I read some will sort by gender, by age..then by top, bottom, outfit..then everyday, formal etc... How many subfolders that requires?

@Rosebine: There will always be complaints. It's not descriptive enough; It's too long; It doesn't say who made it; half the length is the creator's name; etc. etc. A single creator will never be able to please everyone. I think following the general guidelines in simmer22's post and adapting them to suit YOU is the best you can do.

I am one of those people with layers of subfolders, which means I have to be very conscious of the 255-character file path length. Generally, I've downloaded a group of files by a single creator and the easiest way to trim those file, with a bulk renamer, is to remove a common string of characters. That usually means that I remove the creator's name. But, I do this ONLY for those files that are in my GAME's Downloads folder. I have another Master Downloads folder, outside of the My Documents path, where I store ALL my Sims files. In that folder, I usually (though not always) keep the original file names.

In my Master folder, I have items sorted by Category; Site_Creator; ItemDescription; files. Like this:

C:\Users\Mom\Desktop\Sims Backups\Downloads_MASTER\E - Clothing - Toddler\MTS_Rosebine\Overalls-Feet\FemaleToddlerBody-SalopetteFeetRoseNaked_By_Rosie.package

C:\Users\Mom\Desktop\Sims Backups\Downloads_MASTER\D - Buy Mode - Gardening\PBK_Making Hay\Sun&Moon-Hay_Bale_Individual.package

In my game, the names might be different. It could look like this:
C:\Users\Mom\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\D-Buy-Garden\Hay\Bale_Individual.package
Notice how there is no indication as to who made it or where it came from. But, if I was curious, I'd type Bale_Individual into my Master folder's search box and it would take me to the Sun&Moon-Hay_Bale_Individual file.

In other words ... Do the best you can, but don't worry yourself sick over it. If people don't like your file name, they can change it to suit themselves. :-)

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#77 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 6:03 AM
I also appreciate when modders use Simlish lettering on anything. I'm a little strict on trying not to use english lettering unless whatever it is is really good otherwise so its nice to see that.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#78 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 9:26 AM
I prefer English writing on things, but I don't mind the occasional Simlish item. I appreciate when creators take their time to do both. I feel Simlish is a bit too cartoonish for my game style, but if I like the item and it doesn't have an English version, I'll use it anyway.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#79 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 11:07 AM
Having a choice is always nice

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#80 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 2:02 PM
And there is Simlish fonts ..annnnnnd I'm about to try them.
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=582592

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#81 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 11:48 PM
Was this mentioned already? Appreicate when modders allow their meshes to be redistributed. Especially with so many websites that died. I also like when other people improve upon the meshes.

Instructor
#82 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 8:53 PM
This is probably just seconding what a lot of others have said, but I appreciate it when creators put their name somewhere in the catalog description and when they name their walls and floors packages so I can find them in the Downloads folder. So many times I have CC that is so right for me that I want to find more from the creator, but have no idea who made it. One in particular: I have a lot of items that have "charly" showing in the CRES name that pops up in buy mode, but I can't figure out who made them to get more.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#83 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 2:36 AM
I appreciate when creators say both where their object is in catalog and price. It's easier to find.

Theorist
#84 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 3:45 AM
I agree with nearly everything said above .. (can't say all just because I stopped readin halfway down :P)

I appreciate the creators who made, and are still making, my game playable by fixin the stuff that EAxis screwed up, overlooked, or plain did a sloppy job. I appreciate all the creators who picked up EAxis slack in doin their job of makin objects that matched to make them complete sets.

While technically not a CC creator in terms of use in game, I appreciate the storytellers who know how to spin a good yarn and keep me entertained for hours when I really should be doin somethin else.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#85 Old 24th Mar 2018 at 10:11 PM
I appreciate seeing mod descriptions and readmes included in the download, particularly if it's just a plain text file.

Mad Poster
#86 Old 25th Mar 2018 at 3:15 AM
I appreciate the majority of creators who compressorize their works for the public. Definitely saves time and trouble.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Inventor
#87 Old 25th Mar 2018 at 7:24 AM
Most of what I want to say has already been said and I don't want to sound ungrateful to creators, but I appreciate it when CC items match their catalog sorting, price, and need values.

Sometimes I download objects described as back-breaking, grungy beds, only to find that they're either surprisingly expensive, more comfortable and environmentally-pleasing than the most luxurious EAxis bed, and/or placed in a seemingly-odd section, such as Plants. It makes it somewhat useless in-game (apart from aesthetics) because some sims will want better items since they only check for price, perceiving it as an indicator of quality. To be fair, that's how it is in-game, though that makes the assigned value a more confusing decision. I understand that it can be subjective and dependent on what other CC users have, but I like it when creators think about how their items would fit in a general no-CC game.

If you have SimPE, you can edit it to your preference, but when you have several objects to change and/or can't use the program at all, it becomes tedious.

Maybe it's just me, but I like it when sets come with their own collection files. It saves me the trouble of clicking through multiple wallpapers looking for a particular one when some themed coverings are separated from each other. I tend to prefer collection icons that have keywords clearly written on them, but I appreciate the effort creators make when they make unique icons too - at least I know it's from a specific creator or conversions from another game.

I also appreciate when creators go through rigorous testing to ensure the quality of their work, especially if it's something gameplay-changing. Creator Feedback is one of my favorite sections. Granted, they don't have to search for possible conflicts for mods they themselves don't use, but I'm grateful when they do, especially because TS2 has been out for a while so most people have their games modded to their liking.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#88 Old 25th Mar 2018 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sketching
Granted, they don't have to search for possible conflicts for mods they themselves don't use, but I'm grateful when they do, especially because TS2 has been out for a while so most people have their games modded to their liking.

If they're uploading here they are supposed to check for conflicts and list them.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Top Secret Researcher
#89 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 8:08 AM Last edited by yavannatw : 30th Mar 2018 at 12:29 PM.
I'm sure it's already been said, but having just downloaded a number of cc items, I really appreciate it when creators include colours in their file names. I have a couple of items which include several recolours but they're named with numbers, not colours. I would love to delete the colours I don't like but don't know which they are.
I also appreciate it when creators tell you where the item can be found when it's not obvious. (For example, a large chest was listed under desks, not decorative as I thought, and a wall fountain was under sinks.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#90 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 8:19 AM
@yavannatw - I like to use SimWardrobe's Sim Categorizer to track down wayward items as unlike SimPE, it can be open at the same time as TS2 without any hassle. Though be careful not to actually edit anything as it can break Compressorized files.

Mad Poster
#91 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 3:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
I'm sure it's already been said, but having just downloaded a number of cc items, I really appreciate it when creators include colours in their file names. I have a couple of items which include several recolours but they're named with numbers, not colours. I would love to delete the colours I don't like but don't know which they are.
I also appreciate it when creators tell you where the item can be found when it's not obvious. (For example, a large chest was listed under desks, not decorative as I thought, and a wall fountain was under sinks.)

And the color names should absolutely be colors, not demolitions terms or whatever. I've gotten to hate Pooklet colors because they're so many of them, a lot of which don't look like the color they're binned at as all (why are there browns in all four bins?) and they all have names like "pipe bomb" and "brisance" so I have to consult reference guides to know which ones to get rid of in order to have four colors of this hair I really like that apparently nobody ever Simgarooped or Remied. And it's good to include a swatch but it's not much good if the different colors/patterns aren't labeled with the term used in the file names.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#92 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 3:20 PM
I use SimCat all the time - I've found for the most part it doesn't break compressorised files though it doesn't like CycloneSue's files for some reason I can't work out. I do those with SimPE otherwise I pretty much use SimCat for everything. Occasionally, I have a problem but I usually have a temporary back up of files on the desk top while I'm editing for backup.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#93 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 10:36 PM
I'm not much into pooklet colours - they are pretty but you kinda know pooklet hair is custom hair because it just doesn't match the rest of the hairs.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#94 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 10:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
And the color names should absolutely be colors, not demolitions terms or whatever.

I've sometimes wondered slightly about Pooklet's sanity: http://www.under-your-skin.com/imag...t_withnames.png

It looks nice on the right mesh, though. Not all hair meshes are suited for Pooklet colours.

Mad Poster
#95 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 11:07 PM
I think she might have some kind of synesthesia. I might have some light synesthesia myself, comparing Dina Caliente's voice to cheesecake and Nina's to cherry blossoms.
Mad Poster
#96 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 11:14 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 31st Mar 2018 at 12:16 AM.
It also depends on the texture used with Pooklet's colors. Some of the colors look nice in theory, but almost greyish or bordering on unnaturals (reds in particular). Some textures make the colors look a lot darker, so the blacks turn out extremely black. The families are also a bit meh - I often end up using an uneven number of colors.

I recently tried to make some slightly more natural colors from Pooklet's colors. I haven't done a lot with them, though.

And colors having weird names bug me. I like descriptive names so I don't need to use a color chart every time I'm trying to figure out what's what. I also like when color charts are sorted more in a rainbow style and/or dark to light - anything but random, because it's a whole lot easier to sort out too similar colors. I don't need 30+ colors from one pallette and 40+ from another if there are 5-10 almost identical colors.

(Don't get me wrong - I like Pooklet-style hairs, and most of the naturals are quite nice. Most of the hairs in my game are Pooklet's colors and colors/styles similar to them. I don't use the unnaturals, though)
Mad Poster
#97 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 11:17 PM
Well thank you very much for this @JDacapo
I've just learned a new word.
Disappointed to read that this is a *condition*, like every aspect of being human these days, but what can you do.
I think we might all be affected in one way or another...
My oldest daughter, when given goat cheese at 3 years old : Yuk..it taste like moving staircase (escalator ?).
Smells triggers memories as well, check this out, soon, it will be called a condition.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#98 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 11:18 PM
Pooklet's not the only one who uses weird names for colors and they wouldn't be so popular if they were poor quality. She's just the obvious example to use because we're all familiar with them. I even have a few pooklets because I wanted the hair badly enough and couldn't get them any other way. But generally speaking, if I can't tell what a file is by looking at the name, I can live without it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#99 Old 31st Mar 2018 at 1:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
I've sometimes wondered slightly about Pooklet's sanity: http://www.under-your-skin.com/imag...t_withnames.png

It looks nice on the right mesh, though. Not all hair meshes are suited for Pooklet colours.

This chart will help me clean my downloads folder a little. I always plan to do it, but now I have the proper tool for all those recolours I have never bothered to check before installing. (My bad, anyway)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#100 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 12:57 PM
I love when, the creator lists the exact BHAVs that are modified. Makes it far easier to avoid conflicts.

Page 4 of 5