Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#51 Old 11th Jul 2006 at 8:37 PM
Okay heads up people - Users with less than 10 downloads will have thier journals deleted!. I've seen about 15 people try and create journals without the required number. I suggest you go back and read the first post of this thread again.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 12th Jul 2006 at 8:40 PM
These're nice ideas... Thanks for the huge work... for the addition...

2 questions..
How can I sort the journal through a username in the journal page?
Where to find the journal link of a person through that person's profile?
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 12th Jul 2006 at 10:57 PM
Delphy this is great, and thank you. But it says that a post must be at most 1,000 characters. So I massaged mine until MS Word says that it is
Characters, no spaces: 780
Characters with spaces: 993

and it still won't accept it.

Thanks

roseisred

Don't forget to say "thank you" to Sims2 creators and recolorers (is that a word?) And support this site!

Thanks, for all your posts and thanks. I often don't have time to respond, but they make my day and warm my heart.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#54 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 7:15 AM
It might be counting line feeds too. I'll increase the limit a little bit.

niol,

The link to the journal is in the box marked "Journal Information" from thier profile page. What do you mean by sort?

Test Subject
#55 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 8:02 AM Last edited by BobSalawalatski : 13th Jul 2006 at 8:11 AM.
This sounds excellent. Before I found MTS2, I frequented only RedvsBlue.com, and they have a Journal system as well. It all works incredibly well.

The one key is that everyones' journals are even and equal in every way. Everyone has thier journal, from start-to-finish of thier profiles, with no restrictions (other than the normal Rules and TOU).

They also have a "Karma system" that monitors site activity and how many "Mod Points" a user recieves from others to determine their Karma Level. The higher the level, the more respected the member.

(That's what I thought the instant I read "Modding," in the title of this thread, and I believe it would make an excellent addition to MTS2 as well.)

And it all works together, to form a network of systems that support and promote positive activity in one another. Most sites have features here and there, but all they really are are Forums with useless features that get ignored and end up wasting server space. RvB is different. The Forums are huge, but they're not half the experience.

A member's journal and profile is a place where they can be more personal with their friends on the site. A place where they don't have to worry about what other people think, because it's thier journal, and if you don't want to read it, you don't have to.

There is an entire profile system that works beautifully.

I cannot explain with text words how wonderful everything works together there. It truly is a masterpiece.

Another thing is that for $10, you achieve Sponsorship, which includes a plethora of exclusive forum features like Colored Text, Editing Posts, Smilies, A Star next to thier screenname wherever it appears on the site, etc.

The one obstacle for MTS2 to overcome, should it adopt this sponsorship system, is that the main attraction for Sponsorship there is early-release, Hires episodes of the series, and exclusive Sponsors-Only videos.

Probably the single-biggest 'feature' of the RvB site is that HTML is supported nowhere at all, and there are no signatures. HTML tends to make forums and sites seem tangled and unorganized, as do Sigs. On RvB, you have your Avatar and S/N next to your post. That's all you need.

I suppose you'll have to experience it for yourself to fully appreciate it.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#56 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 8:19 AM
I don't know if I am just not seeing this in front of my eyes, but if not, would it be possible to have one more view on the journals page, which is to show a list of all existing journals sorted by username? I feel as if I could be missing something if I only see the last entries.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#57 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 8:43 AM
Inge, you aren't seeing it in front of your eyes. :P

Go to the main journal page. Scroll below the latest entries. Change the sort to "Journalist". Voila.

BobSalawalatski,

vBulletin has a similar system to karma called reputation. I have, however, decided not to turn it on on MTS2.

The sponsorship system would be pretty useless on MTS2. Why? Becuase members can already edit thier own posts, use smilies, and so on. Regular donaters get an icon next to thier name, but thats it. People who donate to the site should do so for the good of the entire community as opposed to any gimmicks or stuff they get over everybody else. HTML is not turned on on MTS2 either and you may have noticed that we have strict signature rules that keep them small and unobtrusive.

This is not the RvB forums, nor do I intend to turn it into them.

Mad Poster
#58 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 9:53 AM
Delphy,

Thanks I've found the journal information box in Waltman15's profile but not in yours. Silly me assuming you've one for an example. Obviously, I made a mistake on that.

What I meant by "How can I sort the journal through a username in the journal page?" is basically the same meaning as Inge's "which is to show a list of all existing journals sorted by username?"
I've tried to "Change the sort to "Journalist"", but I've found that some people's journalist names are not the same as their usernames... (In other words, in some cases, journalist names =\= usernames)

After all, I can use search member to get to the username's profile and then get to their journals through the "journal information box" if any.

So, my problems are solved... Thanks again...
Forum Resident
#59 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 11:46 AM
Such a great idea! 2 more uplods and I'll be able to get a journal :D

Thanks Delphy!!

Can't install .rar files? I recommend: Sim File Maid 2

Imma Scene_Core_Dinosawr_x
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#60 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 11:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Inge, you aren't seeing it in front of your eyes. :P

Go to the main journal page. Scroll below the latest entries. Change the sort to "Journalist". Voila..

Ah! Actually I wasn't seeing it in front of my eyes cos it wasn't in front of my eyes. After I saw the pages 1,2,3,Next after the latest entries listing I just went through those and never realised there was anything else further down the page. Doh!
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 1:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
It might be counting line feeds too. I'll increase the limit a little bit.

I still had to delete a bit so that it would be accepted. 3 lines to be exact.

I have dyslexia and have always broken my paragraphs into smaller 1/2 or 1/4 paragraphs, making it easier for me to read and keep my place (especially in note taking). Large paragraphs and right and left justification are killers in this regard.

I'm just going to have to make my posts smaller

Don't forget to say "thank you" to Sims2 creators and recolorers (is that a word?) And support this site!

Thanks, for all your posts and thanks. I often don't have time to respond, but they make my day and warm my heart.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#62 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 1:33 PM
niol,

I have had a journal, then deleted it, then started it, then deleted it. I'm the test dummy, so to speak. :P

I'll have a look at the sort.

Scholar
#63 Old 15th Jul 2006 at 1:28 PM Last edited by moonlight_muse : 15th Jul 2006 at 1:49 PM.
Just tried to start a journal. Got the 1000 characters message, so I shortened the entry, then again, then again,... to no avail. It just wouldn't go. I don't have a character counter in my word programme, so that might be a useful addition to the journal tools, if possible. Then I got the MTS is doing maintenance message.... even though journal seem to be working....... hmm.

Anyway, now I try again, click on view my journal and it says I'm in the moderation que, oooops, lol. I have no idea which version is posted and how many times I might now be in the que as I kept getting the error message and didn't think anything had been submitted. (Sorry to the mod who has to go through all those, lol)

Just another little thing I noticed the message about - if you don't have 10 uploads, or if you are a prominent member of the community, your journal will be deleted.
Shouldn't that be "if you are NOT a prominent member

Looking forward to eventually having a journal,
thanks
Muse

Edit
Ok, noticed in CP, that my journal is there. Clicking on the name brings up the maintenance message, clicking on the entry brings up what's posted (or still in the que, as the journal isn't listed in the Journals index yet)
Quick question. I have two updates I want to add. I guess because of the 1000 word limit, I will have to post them individually. Will each entry from the journal owner always have to be moderated?
thanks in advance.

Please note - I'm not taking any requests at the moment.

You may include my items in your uploads but please credit with a link to either the object or my creator page please.

My Sims 2 videos
Test Subject
#64 Old 19th Jul 2006 at 7:33 PM
So can we create our own group are do we have like some special way of doing that ?

I'm a paintballer so What you got a problem with that! We want paintball in the Sims2

Check out my site at www.freewebs.com/sims2customs/

For my house of the month
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 21st Jul 2006 at 2:03 PM
Cool, Delphy! only 10 more uploads to go...

Alcohol will not solve your problems...But then again, neither does Milk
Instructor
#66 Old 23rd Jul 2006 at 11:20 AM
I like the idea of a journal. Thanks!
Field Researcher
#67 Old 24th Jul 2006 at 11:57 PM
How do you start your own modding group?
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#68 Old 25th Jul 2006 at 1:13 AM
http://www.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=436

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Page 3 of 3