Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#126 Old 16th Apr 2008 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElPresidente
If you enjoyed Bioshock try and source System Shock 2. It is effectively the spiritual predecessor to Bioshock and is a better game even if it isn't as pretty.

Strangely enough, I bought that game as gift for my brother about 5 years ago but never gave it to him (system requirements). It's been collecting dust on my shelf for years now. I'll have to give it a go.
Quote:
Wonderful little game. Same team behind the Warlords games of ages past. Go Australia! :P

Quote:
Oh and the word is addictive, not addicting. Sorry it is a pet peeve of mine that litters American games journalism so I do my darndest to stomp it out. :D

OUCH! I can't believe I said that. :eggI've been living in the US for nearly 10 years now and the "interesting" grammar is starting to rub off on me. The other day I came perilously close to asking where "something was at." My mother, who formerly taught at a private school in Britian, would have my head if she saw my abuse of the English language, especially my misuse of punctuation.

My grammatical pet peeve, is the misuse of then for than. I actually saw that in a published gaming magazine the other day. Doesn't an editor or staff member proof-read the articles anymore?
Advertisement
#127 Old 16th Apr 2008 at 9:34 PM
It isn't an 'American' thing. The use of the word addicting in that context is incorrect no matter what form of 'english' you speak.

Addicting is a verb. Addictive is an adjective. The English language is a beautiful thing, treat it with respect and it... err... will do something cool. I promise. :D

But yes, I agree. Bioshock is not scary (though it did try to be - don't get me wrong I loved the game but scary it wasn't) and SS2 is pants fillingly creepy. :D

Use addicting in a sentence.
Lab Assistant
#128 Old 18th Apr 2008 at 4:26 AM
Currently, I blew the dust off Mechwarrior 2 - Titanium Trilogy set and reinstalled. Man, it still rocks. I was a bit disappointed with mech 4 mainly because they changed the entire line up of mechs (Well, almost), got rid of the criticals and over all just made things a bit too easy.
Top Secret Researcher
#129 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 4:57 AM
Well, besides TS2, I've always loved Burnout: Revenge. It's destructive and fun. :p
Lab Assistant
#130 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 8:57 PM
TS2, Armed Assault and Falcon 4AF
I just love the moddable (is that even a word?) games and things that go BOOM with lots of fire and loud explosions, unfortunately the military career in TS2 leaves alot to be desired so I've got to get my fix elsewhere ...
My 2 cents
#131 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 10:23 PM
Final Fantasy X. It's the first time I've played my PS2 in years and I've already put over 35 hours into this file - I'm hopelessly, ridiculously obsessed right now.

Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.
Scholar
#132 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 11:09 PM
I got back into playing Dragon Quest VIII, Journey of the Cursed King recently

I got it a while ago but never finished, so I picked it up again a few days ago and now I'm hooked Good thing I'm done school now.

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#133 Old 24th Apr 2008 at 9:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Faithlove13xxx
Use addicting in a sentence.

The doctor is addicting Janice to painkillers. In this use addicting is a transitive verb.

However it is an awfully uncomfortable word to use and most people would write the above as "The doctor is getting Janice addicted to painkillers" which is an active voice construction of the sentance versus the weak passive voice that happens when we use the word addicting. As passive voice is generally considered bad grammer there is very little reason for the word addicting to even exist other than purely as a technical word that exists simply because most words often have transitive verb variations.

In short you CAN us the word addicting but only as a transitive verb. Saying something is addicting is incorrect, incorrect, incorrect. Addictive is really the only variation of addict you should ever require outside of addicted.

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
#134 Old 27th Apr 2008 at 12:40 PM
At a week or 2 I will be playing The Sims2 again starting on generation five. At this moment I playing The Witcher. A very good RPG and I am enjoying it. You playing this witcher who witness a friend being kill. Now I chasing the bloke that killed him. You meet up with these characters that at most times are very seedy. Its not a clear cut and depend on the choices you make during the game it determines the out come of the game later on. A game that is full of colour that have lots of shades of grey in the game.

Gerza71
Scholar
#135 Old 27th Apr 2008 at 7:37 PM
The doctor is addicting Janice to painkillers. In this use addicting is a transitive verb.

However it is an awfully uncomfortable word to use and most people would write the above as "The doctor is getting Janice addicted to painkillers" which is an active voice construction of the sentance versus the weak passive voice that happens when we use the word addicting. As passive voice is generally considered bad grammer there is very little reason for the word addicting to even exist other than purely as a technical word that exists simply because most words often have transitive verb variations.

In short you CAN us the word addicting but only as a transitive verb. Saying something is addicting is incorrect, incorrect, incorrect. Addictive is really the only variation of addict you should ever require outside of addicted.

I'm glad that's your problem and not mine, ElPrez.

I'm a foreign national living in the United States South, having learned English in the past 10 years or so. Once everyone else starts following grammatical rules--and stop changing them--I'll update my own speech accordingly.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#136 Old 30th Apr 2008 at 3:51 AM
:P

Anyway I'm currently obsessed with GTA IV. What can I say... every other developer is probably crying into their python script upon playing this game.

2008 has already got its game of the year. It is all downhill from here. :P

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
#137 Old 3rd May 2008 at 6:13 AM
right now i'm obsessed with okami.It's not only a very beautiful game it has a great storyline and gameplay
#138 Old 30th May 2008 at 8:05 PM
Same here Derange! I just love, love, love this game! I finished it again a week ago ( for the third time) Anyway, except FFX I'm currently obsessed with Silent Hill 2, and silent hill 4 : the room. I first played these games when I was little , but only now, by replaying them I was able to fully understand and appreciate them.
Field Researcher
#139 Old 30th May 2008 at 8:40 PM
harvest moon DS. i played it on the gameboy advanced some years ago and i got hooked, but when it broke down i found out it wasn't findable in belgium easy. so then i found harvest moon DS 3 weeks ago.
#140 Old 31st May 2008 at 7:28 AM
At this moment I am playing FEAR. I haven't play The Sims2 for ages.

Gerza71
Lab Assistant
#141 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 10:47 AM
viva pinata!!!!! yay!!!!

when my mean new gaming pc finally gets its driver issues sorted out and windows installed (fingers crossed), I will be back into TS2, and Civilization 4
Lab Assistant
#142 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 10:57 AM
Besides TS2, I'm obsessed with Grand Theft Auto San Adreas. I didn't play it for three months, but about a week ago, I started playing it again.
#143 Old 2nd Jun 2008 at 12:56 AM
I was just playing "Desperate housewives" for thirty hours straight. Guess that was obsessed. But it over now....
I'm going to try to solve "secrets of daVinci" now. Guess I'm up for another 30 hours-session, who knows... (I do break for food and sleep, though...)
Field Researcher
#144 Old 2nd Jun 2008 at 1:03 AM
Morrowind like Sims 2 is a weakness of mine.
Alchemist
#145 Old 2nd Jun 2008 at 1:44 AM
I couldn't get Morrowind to work on my computer. Sad.
Lab Assistant
#146 Old 2nd Jun 2008 at 1:51 AM
Believe it or not but i'm actually obsessed with the sims 2 castaway games. Have played it one the DS and playstation, thinking about getting the life stories version now too.
Alchemist
#147 Old 3rd Jun 2008 at 4:24 PM
I fiiiinally started playing Assassin's Creed and I LOVE it!
#148 Old 4th Jun 2008 at 8:19 PM
Rohan online
SIMS 2 :D
Scholar
#149 Old 4th Jun 2008 at 9:27 PM
I recently took a brief break from my frugal saving for a new desktop PC to purchase Ninja Gaiden II, and I have to say, I guess I'm obsessed with it, heh. In any case, I'm having a lot of fun thusfar.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Alchemist
#150 Old 4th Jun 2008 at 11:29 PM
I remember playing Ninja Gaiden on Nintendo, many many years ago.

Page 6 of 63