Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
#26 Old 1st Dec 2007 at 1:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by x_iiLy_x
There is a story i know that supports the Bible.

A shepard lost a lamb, so went looking for it.
He came across a cave, and since he thought he heard the bleat of the lamb from inside, he went in to find it.
There, he came across huge pots/vases, and when he opened it, he found hundreds of copies of the Bible.
These, in fact, were buried in the cave centuries ago.
But the important thing is, that the words of the scriptures inside the cave fitted exactly to the more 'modern' Bible.
I find this quite astonishing, and believ it to be true.

Of course, you may say it was made up, or whatever.
But since there are so many reports and evidence to back it up, i believe it is true.

I believe you are referring to the Dead Sea Scrolls. I wouldn't say that it fits the modern Bible though... while scrolls were found that do confirm some of the books, there are manuscripts that never became canonized. Likewise, there are a couple of books (Esther and Habukkuk IIRC) that were not found amongst the findings.

Carbon dating also puts them somewhere between 300 BCE and 100 AD. If the latter date is accepted, that would still put those writings after the time of Jesus.

Keep in mind too that the beliefs of the ancient Hebrews was basically an oral tradition. Ever play the game where you whisper something into somebody's ear, and have them pass the phrase around the table until it comes back to you? Now imagine that game being played out over 2000 years amongst many different people, with different dialects, etc. Add to that the Hebrews didn't use vowels or punctuation. Ever notice the italicized words in the Bible? Those were added subsequently along with the punctuation. According to Revelation 22:18,19 that is a sin... but I digress.

THEN add to the mess the fact that the Bible went through a canonization process... literally a group of men sitting around and arbitrarily deciding which books should be included in the Bible, and which should be rejected. Add to that that the Bible went through three translations to arrive at the King James Bible, and from there many subsequent translations. Many Christian denominations can't even decide which translation is the best one!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 1st Dec 2007 at 3:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Reindeer911
There are a few that participate on this forum, but from what I have observed they generally avoid the religious debates. Why that is, I'm not certain. However, I suspect that it has to do with the very subjective nature of religion to begin with, and that as soon as anyone says that X is so, or you must do Y or else, others are immediately going to jump in and say "prove it".

When you've been at this debate site as long as some of the senior members have, they get a little redundant. These threads are normally started by some self rightoues religious person or athiest, they make a very generalized remark, and the opposite parties retaliate with very uneducated responses (my humble opinion is that the worst literalists (people who interprete the bible word for word) are the athiests. That doesn't mean that they agree, just that they quote and cite a literal view, where as most (again, we both know there are people out there that a vehimently opposed to the following statement) christians look at the symbology and metaphors of the bible. Some (myself included) will go as far as to say that Jesus never was born by a true virgin or rose from the dead (there is documented proof that a man named Jesus was crucified Circa 33 AD, so I won't go so far as to say he's not real) but that they were metaphors and symbols for other things.)

Long story short, the reason most of the long standing christians on the board don't bother is because its beating a dead horse. Me, I make a remark about my opinion and clarify if something is called out, but rarely do I make two posts in these threads. Another Shocker, I don't really care what people believe in. To each his own and all that Jazz.
#28 Old 1st Dec 2007 at 3:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by x_iiLy_x
Actually, God isn't male OR female.

Are you sure?

Is Jesus son of God?
Is Mary mother of Jesus?
Is God male?
Forum Resident
#29 Old 1st Dec 2007 at 3:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hszmv
When you've been at this debate site as long as some of the senior members have, they get a little redundant.

Hah. Amen!

Maybe I should save my old posts in a file so a bot can cut and paste them in.

It would be more interesting if there were single specific issues to tangle with. Debate topics that are too general or too universal don't tend to regenerate themselves well. For instance, an argument over a specific myth, or a book of apocrypha, or something like that that took some research rather than just generic bloviating.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 20th Dec 2007 at 5:49 AM
Well, as long as people are happy to debate religious issues,...Why not? Don't participate if you don't want to, but why the fuss?

Page 2 of 2