Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 3:21 PM
Default Official S2C Front Page Design Contest
Hi, All :howdy:

We are always looking for ways to improve the Sims 2 Community website. After examining the site closely, it has been decided that the front page (the main index page of the site) could use some creative enhancements.

Given the success of previous contests, it was decided to have another contest for the design of the Sims 2 Community website front page.

You don't need to run off and code anything, nor does anyone need to be a website developer to enter. All we are looking for is a basic layout template that shows where different features would be placed on the page. This can be done using any image editing program. Just upload a picture of what you think the best layout would look like. You don't need to worry about colors or logos (unless you REALLY want to).

If you're still wondering what this kind of template looks like, here is an old example of a template layout that I made before the site was created. It's just an idea that shows where features would be located -- it does not have to be "pretty":

(If you can't see the image below, click HERE.)

So now, it's up to you!

Please no chatter in this thread -- please post only to submit an idea

If you're not sure how to put a picture in your post, please click here to learn how to do it (and you can ask questions about posting pictures there too).

Pillze and Foamy, the two IRC bots, will be judging this contest. (After the S2C staff members vote, of course :P)

The contest winner will receive a custom user title, and credits at the footer of the page when it is published.

The deadline for submission is Sunday, 20 November.

Good luck, everybody! We can't wait to see the great ideas that you talented people come up with :popcorn:

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
The One and Only
#2 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 6:48 PM
My Submission
At Delphy's request, I've re-submitted my entry.

Here's the accompanying logo:

Um, so about the design. This is a community site, so I was going for something that looks as such, hence the soft color shades and sort of "kid friendly" look. I attempted to choose icons for the blocks that would be easy for people to associate with each block's function. Instead of having to do in-depth reading into what a block does, they can come to the site and easily associate the speaker with the shout box, etc. This, in my opinion, makes the site more readily accessible to the younger population who are not always going to understand what does what, as well as those people who may have certain disabilities. I took that a step further and identified help links with a life saver, that way, people always know to look for the life saver when they need assistance with a particular function.

For the featured website, I sort of went for a video game box look. Most video game packages display icons for certain features of the game or console. In this case, the four icons at the bottom of the block would display the most informative traits of the website.

For the forum post lists, I compacted all of the areas into one block. Content could easily be swtiched out by Javascript by clicking the tabs at the top. Clciking the block title would return you to the main listing. This was done primarily to save people from having to scroll through a huge page in order to look at the content they need. This saves time for people with busy schedules and provides an overall sense of effeciency.
#3 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 9:51 AM
why no submission?
well.. here I am.. I'm not very good in this but I will give a try
Three version of the same layout - three different colors.
I guess that the bright blue version may be too bright while the pink version is inspired by the 'Hello Kitty' theme on MtS
Well.. now the entries..

I hate to be the first :screwy:
Mgh :banana:
#4 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 11:40 PM
so, this post is going with the "new layout" not new theme idea...i just threw this together in the past half hour. hope you like!

i wanted to keep it clean and simple, and minimize the information on the front page, so that we can keep it all on the front screen without scrolling. newbies need help! lol

Test Subject
#5 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 11:28 PM
Well... it's not very good, but might as well post it anyway, eh?

Test Subject
#6 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 9:16 PM
Well here is my attempt. I was thinking that one thing that would be really good to have would be a spot for a featured site. Also there is access to everything on the site on the front page. I made all of the links with blue buttons to make them easier to find and in the lower corner there is a box for helpful links. I think it makes it easier to find help if you get lost. It is set up so that you can see the last ten posts in each of the forum categories by clicking the link at the top of the box.

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 1:18 AM
Default My Entry
Here is my entry

I am not uploading much stuff here anymore, but you can get all of my latest uploads at The Sims 2 Workshop
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Nov 2005 at 9:22 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for all the wonderful entries. We'll have a think and look at them all and come back with the winner soon.

Regards
Delphy

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#9 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 11:41 PM
I am just wondering, was there ever a winner for this contest or did you all decide to keep the site the same as it is now?
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#10 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 12:33 AM
Sorry for the lack of responce- We are mulling over a blend of ideas and with the holidays and other site things to work out this is slight back burnered at the moment- Rest assured we will update soon- thanks
#11 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 8:28 AM
I personally like this one:
Quote:

looks great. (NOTE THIS IS NOT BY ME, SCROLL UP FOR ORIGINAL POST
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 30th Jan 2006 at 11:16 PM
When will the contest results be in?

I am not uploading much stuff here anymore, but you can get all of my latest uploads at The Sims 2 Workshop
#13 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 9:49 AM
i like this one the best (note its not mine)

#14 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 9:46 PM
i love love love this one! go kate!

#15 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 10:01 PM
I love the above one as well. When will the voting be over?
#16 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 10:27 PM
i really love Kates..its just so nice and modern looking!
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 10:29 PM
This is my fave:
#18 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 11:30 PM
Don't want to be a pooper, but isn't qouting pictures a bit annoying for people who have slow internet?