Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th May 2007 at 6:10 AM
Nautical Designer Cycle 1 - Closed due to lack of interest.
This contest belongs in 'Houses'. This contest will run from 5.30.07 to 6.30.07.

For those of you wanting an interesting twist on the traditional interior design contest, you've found it!!

Are you ready to accept the challenge? Welcome to Nautical Designer!!!

Gold Cross Lines, an internationally famous Sim cruise line, has contacted several well-known designers in the hopes of re-decorating their venerable Sundance-class of ships, but none succeeded. Now it's your turn. Test the waters of the hot world of maritime decorating and become the next Nautical Designer.

The Sundance-Class of ships is a 15-year old class, built when cruising hadn't been that popular in SimNation. Now that it is rapidly becoming a popular vacation vocation, as it were, Gold Cross Lines has wishes to re-decorate the ageing vessels to more modern standards. After several companies failed to meet the requirements, GCL has gone on a search for fresh designers. That's where you come in.

Using the Sundance ship attached to the bottom of the post, you will be decorating it throughout the contest. Live up to the standards of the GCL and you'll get an opportunity to host next cycle!! Fail, and ... well, your reputation will not be affected positively.

Da rules!! Follow these and the forum rules accordingly. Contestants found to be in contempt of the rules will be eliminated from the contest.

**No profanity or any other form of inappropriate conduct. Children as you as 13 may view these forums and content as such is not allowed.**
**If you need an extension or need to drop out PM me. No spamming the thread with these items, please.**
**Post your nickname, designer name, and round number in the title bar. This is more of a courteousy than a requirement, but 1 point will be deducted from your score if you forget. Adding it later in the round before it closes is fine, as long as it's before the round closes.**
**Photoshopping is a touchy subject. You may use it to add borders, sharpent, lighten, etc. Nothing big. Some Rounds may specifically require that you do more with a photo, but I will specify that.**
**Designers must be made by yourself. If the creator of a original sim allows descendants to be included in contests, then that is different, and you may.**
**All CC is allowed. I don't care if it's pay or free; I have a large selection of both. I also encourage you to create your own CC. One Round will require that you create your own Walls/Floors.**
**Have fun. This contest is meant to be a relief, not a hassle. Please, don't make it that way.**

The rounds will be posted as we go and edited below. There will be 5 rounds plus applications.

**Round 1**
**Round 2**
**Round 3**
**Round 4**
**Final Round**

Applications will be open for 4 days, with one day judging. Depending on the interest in the contest, apps may or may not continue into Round 1. You will need to download the ship as well as fill out the below application form to be eligible to apply. Applicants must be human.

Name:
Company Name (if any):
Design Style:
Why you think that you are qualified to be the next Nautical Designer:

Pictures: 1 headshot and 1 bodyshot of your sim. They should be in professional wear. Something you would wear to work, but not stiff suits. GCL frowns on those designers who are stiff and unflexible.

Also for the application round, you will be required to redo the outside of the Sundance ship. You may opt to build a dock alongside the ship, or have the ship set at sea. You will need to decorate all of the outside deck areas of the ship, and must include the following:

-Pool (obviously doens't have to be real, but use water-esque floor tiles)
-Plenty of seating and tanning space
-Plants that will weather the weather.
-Appropriate (as Sim as possible) decor for a ship. Anchors, etc. will greatly improve the look of your ship.
-Include the GCL colors in repainting the outside of the hull and in accessories. The colors are gold (duh!) and purple. Odd, yes, but unique.

Please provide the following shots of the ship in your application:
1 shot of the ship looking from the bow (front)
1 shot of the ship looking from the stern (rear)
2 closeup shots of the large deck spaces; the one on aft deck 3 and the one mid-ships deck 4
1 free shot of any part of the various exterior deck spaces

There will be a minimum of 10 designers, and a maximum of 15. There will be no eliminations, and scores will be cumulative.
~1~ dannyboi88 - Elisa Langley APP// Dropped out.
~2~ titanic - Dominique Condello APP (incomplete)//
~3~ cari4003 - Drayman Spectra APP//
~4~
~5~
~6~

I will need 4 judges that are on regularly and can reply asap after I PM the judging requirements. They will act as the executives of GCL, and will judge accordingly. PM me if you want to be a judge or an EJ.

1- A. Williams (spiffyriffic)
2- S. Jacobs (LilacBaby)
3- M. Collins (Greenstraws)
4- T. Livermore (ChinChillagirl6)

EJs:
1- C. Blanche (p$ycho$immer)
2- E. Weatherby-Appleton (eedgan)
3-

At this moment I am prepared to accept any and all prize donations offered. I am currently working on a few recolors of Maxis base-game paintings, and those will be offered as prizes in groups for the top 3 winners.

1st: CO-host next cycle of ND, ????
2nd: ????
3rd: ????

Finally, I just wanted to say that I hope that this contest will be a great success rather than a dismal failure, but if such case does arise that this contest isn't popular, I will ask a mod to lock it. I hope you all enjoy, and good luck!!

Here are two pics of the Sundance. There are 4 pieces of re-distributable CC in the file, along with the ship, just so you know. It needs work, as you can tell. I should probably mention that the ship requires all ep's up to and including OFB. Good luck!! :D

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3524/shipbowzt0.png
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/...hipsternki8.png
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st May 2007 at 4:10 AM
Approved 5.30.07
Ends 6.30.07

***Do NOT post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.***

Formerly known as boolPropped
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st May 2007 at 4:30 AM
Thanks!! I'm now accepting applications, for those of you who wish to join.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 31st May 2007 at 8:46 AM
Psst, P$ycho dear, change the first line in your post up there to May 30-June 30... [[HOMMGGGG my birthday.. :D:DRoolfflflflflfffffl.]]

And. I think Ill totally join. ^_^

No wait. I lied. Im too scared to join.. xDDDDD
Instead.. Ill judge. :D
Test Subject
#5 Old 31st May 2007 at 10:39 AM
I am not sure whether to join or not ... I really suck at making my own cc plus I don't have photoshop and I am not planning on buying it ... But apart from that this contest is really tempting :D

By the way, I love that ship you included in the pictures (Norwegian Pearl), I have already been on it!
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st May 2007 at 7:13 PM
Trust me, Gerb, it won't be all that hard. I hope you consider entering. Oh, and greenie, if you would care to judge please PM me. :p
#7 Old 31st May 2007 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gerbera
I am not sure whether to join or not ... I really suck at making my own cc plus I don't have photoshop and I am not planning on buying it ... But apart from that this contest is really tempting :D

By the way, I love that ship you included in the pictures (Norwegian Pearl), I have already been on it!

Do a Google search for a program called GIMP. It's similar to photoshop, but free. :D
Banned
#8 Old 31st May 2007 at 10:10 PM
This sounds fun, I'll enter it!

What expansion packs does the ship requier? I see that the windows on it are from Open For Buisness, and some people don't own that Expansion (I do own it, though). I only have University and Open For Buisness. I know you can use the Clean Installer, but usually a house that has expansion pack items in it will either not show up in the game, or crash it when you try to place it in the neighborhood.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 12:42 AM
I believe that the half-walls on the ship will require nightlife, unfortunately. I could repackage the lot without them, though.
Test Subject
#10 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 2:53 AM
I am definitly entering,I am madly in love with ships and I didn't want to say anything but I sort of want to...REBUILD THE TITANIC WHEN I GET OLDER!.I will have my app by tommorow see ya then!
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 3:33 AM
lol I look forward to your entry. We have all four main judging spots filled, but I'd like to have 2 more ej's.
Test Subject
#12 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 8:03 PM

Experience:
I have quite a bit of experience for my age, I have been featured in may magazines and have won two awards and they are "Best Design Layout" and "Highest Quality Designs" here is one of my magazine layout of my magazine named "House 2 Home"

Design Style:
I have may different styles i can change depending on the characteristics of the person or the house if feel the house would suit a modern style i will design with a modern style if i think the house should be traditional i will design the house with my head set in traditional mode

We'll to be honest in not sure if i am i have never designed a cruise ship and i think it would an enjoyable challenge and i wont lie i would be disapointed if i didnt win but i would dwell on it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 8:25 PM
Yay!! lol An application!! I have added you.
Test Subject
#14 Old 2nd Jun 2007 at 1:53 AM
Application
Domonique Condello

AGE- 23

Experiance

Well I helped to design the Queen Mary 2 with the staterooms and britannia restuaraunt and all,I am really a go-getter at my task and I never give up I always try.So I feel I have very good experiance with my job!

[
B]Why I think I have what it takes:[/B]

Well I am very jovial about my job and I always try to impress so thats why I think I have what it takes to be a nautical designer.

Company name:-Cunard Line but I have converted to gold cross liner last week for an apllication which you can read above!

Design style:
-Well basically I will do anything I am told but mainly I will do a somewhat modern victorian as you can see on the Cunard Liner QM2.

ps:sorry p$ycho this is where my pics are gonna have to be from now on just click on the link sorry:
(http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/...=Snapshot-1.jpg

and here are just some pics of the ship(the pool on the stern is the kiddie pool) http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/...=Snapshot-2.jpg
http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/...=Snapshot-3.jpg
http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/...=Snapshot-4.jpg
http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/...=Snapshot-5.jpg
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 2nd Jun 2007 at 2:39 AM
Yay!! lol You've been added to the first post. Oh, and if you would like you may change the railing on the rear decks, the one with the iron bars.
Test Subject
#16 Old 2nd Jun 2007 at 3:59 AM
sure I will have the pic up maybe lator ot tommorow

ok here it is!

link-
http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/...=Snapshot-6.jpg
Field Researcher
#17 Old 3rd Jun 2007 at 7:13 AM
Default Application: Drayman Spectra
Application: Drayman Spectra
Experience: I have worked designing interiors for small to medium size recreational boats.
Design Style: Any, I really don't have a set style. I talk with the client and try to meet their needs.
I was raised on the water..every weekend we would be out on dads' boat, as I aged I realized I would like to design the interiors of the boats I had grown to love as a kid. I saw the add for this position and thought why not give it a shot.

Headshot:

Bodyshot:

Front of ship:

Back of ship:

Deck one:

Deck two:

Freeshot Deck:
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 3rd Jun 2007 at 7:45 AM
Yay!! I have added you.
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 3rd Jun 2007 at 8:21 PM
Mods, I hope this is ok.

Dannyboi had to drop out. Unfortunately, that means that we have only 2 contestants in a 4 day period that the contest has been open. I'm afraid, if we don't get at least 5 contestants in by the 7th of June, I'll have to close the contest. I'm sorry.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 3rd Jun 2007 at 8:33 PM
ermm titanic you do know that if you want to rebuild the titanic youll need millions and wow the amount of titanic pics on your album.....*cough*obsessed*cough*

lol only kidding!
Test Subject
#21 Old 3rd Jun 2007 at 8:58 PM
psycho, I think I will enter when I am feeling better tomorrow. I have been a but sick recently but I think it'll get better Just give me some time ...
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 3rd Jun 2007 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ting tong
ermm titanic you do know that if you want to rebuild the titanic youll need millions and wow the amount of titanic pics on your album.....*cough*obsessed*cough*

lol only kidding!
That was.. Random.

But, the two of you who have entered so far, I love it. :D
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 4th Jun 2007 at 4:39 PM
I really wanted to enter this but I can't make my own cc. Sorry.
Instructor
Original Poster
#24 Old 5th Jun 2007 at 1:55 AM
If it helps, I may not have that round in at all. Some people seem less than enthusiastic about making their own cc, so I'll probably omit the round. So, ENTER!!! lol

ps. Just a reminder, but this contest will close on the 7th if I do not have enough entries (at least 5).
Test Subject
#25 Old 5th Jun 2007 at 4:25 AM
WOW. Cari4003, your ship looks GREAT!! I love it.

I LOVE a-ha!

Page 1 of 2