Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 11:25 AM
Default Any ideas for an entertainment center and computer desk combo?
The time has come for me to pick new furniture. In this case, I have to replace a desk set from 2004, when a folding table broke holding my computer and banged up my legs. Dad was kind enough to rush out with me after he checked it wasn't serious to our electronics store Fry's. (I could have spent hours picking out parts for my machines at this superstore. I would be rendered catatonic by the sheer insanity of the number of available parts)

But it's been breaking and the contact paper-like veneer has been peeling off (No thanks to my habit of picking at things like that) and I think it would be nice to have organization to the spaghetti junction of wires and boxes on the hard wooden floor.

I haven't the slightest idea of what would be best, but I have plans to buy video game systems for it in the near future.

If anyone has a recommendation of any sort, please, don't hesitate to contribute. I have a busy day today measuring my machines.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 11:52 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 11th Oct 2017 at 12:08 PM.
I'm guessing it would depend on which furniture stores you have close by, which selection they have, if you have a preferred style, and how much space you have to put the piece of furniture in. The best thing would probably be to have a look around.

Personally, I miss my IKEA desk (No idea which type, though). It's got room for my computer, a ton of books, office supplies, and then some. Too bad it's currently in storage...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 12:17 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 11th Oct 2017 at 2:00 PM.
We have numerous Wal-Marts with furniture sections, but the biggest issue is I need to fit a large, about 36" max flat screen, a keyboard, a ergonomic mouse, a drawing tablet, an external Blu-Ray drive for burning Blu-Rays, the PC tower, a DVD player, numerous video game systems, speakers, a CD boombox (as I collect CDs that never made the jump to digital), banks of outlets in the form of power strips and a bank of switch boxes.

I may consider installing a bracket to the wall and the TV to the bracket if it will allow.

I could used the shelving units I saw online to better maximize the amount of machines.

I might be tempted to have a floating desk in the wall.

Edit: Forgot the VCR and the Game Capture PVR. The VCR is needed because I have old gameplay footage on VHS of the Sonic games from before the 4KIDS switch and I have Pee-wee's Christmas Special and two videos with obscure 80s/90s cartoons from a video group called Just For Kids Video and because it was VHS, they had an advisory for static and tracking. They also had previews for other videos under this label after the two shows were over.

Man, I felt nostalgia of remembering the day of rewinding the software

I may switch over to PVR for recording game footage.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Theorist
#4 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 5:46 PM
x2 on the Ikea. Their furniture is good-looking and cheap. They have a couple larger desks if you need larger. MALM might work for you if you need a bigger desk. You can also custom build your own with parts that they sell.

Resident wet blanket.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 12:34 PM
We're pretty far from an IKEA. We live on the border of the NE border of Pennsylvania. In fact, my mother works in Easton, PA in the warehouse district. So this becomes an issue of whether a Pennsylvania IKEA or a New Jersey IKEA would be closer. That and I would need my father to switch Grandpa Ernie's Camry with a minivan with lots of space and stow-and-go seating that Grandpa Ernie owns.

But my bed, my red book case, two nightstands, a tall dresser and a wide dresser are some of the IKEA furniture I received over the years.

The cubbies in square formation is like a Holy Grail. I was thinking of modifying the back piece and allowing wires to run through, provided the consoles fit.

Theorist
#6 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 5:16 PM
How far is "pretty far"? I'm 3-hours away from an Ikea by car. Going there is a whole day thing. I don't go often, but it's fun to go.

Resident wet blanket.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 6:33 PM
Enough to be a day trip.

Theorist
#8 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 7:52 PM
Do it! Plan some fun places to eat in that town that you don't have in your town, and maybe some other cool places to visit and check out on the way. Make a whole day of it.

Resident wet blanket.