Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#2976 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 6:38 PM
Lets go for Roman clothes. Generation 3 babies have been born. Although i can see this generation taking awhile for me i want to be prepared
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2977 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 11:15 PM
Alright, I've given in and started a blog! This thread is great but I need some more writing room

So far I've only posted about the history of the neighborhood, so there's not much there yet. I'll continue with a post for every household telling their history as well, then I'll keep it going from there

Here's the link if anyone wants to take a look: atotblog.wordpress.com
Lab Assistant
#2978 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by YukiShine
It seems I am really horrible at backing up my Sims data. :D
My ToT hood is back! I don't know what to think. I guess you won't remember me, but I've been playing ToT from about 2011 to 2015 until generations 4-5 (Roman Age). Then, my PC broke and I could not get my old neighborhoods to work on the new one. I could not bring myself to play Stone Age all over again, so I then started a new neighborhood with a different theme.
Now, I had to switch PCs again. And after copying my Sims back-up files onto the new one, guess what? My old, long-lost neihborhoods reappeared. Somehow. Okay, now my more recent hoods are gone, but I have not spent all that much time on them anyway.

I do remember my ToT hood did have some minor corruption issues when I last played. Also, my downloaded custom content seems to suffer a bit when transferred to another PC, so all in all I don't know if my ToT hood will live long. But I am so happy to see those sims again. I've never spent so much time on a single neighborhood.

And now I have to re-read the challenge rules, I guess. ^^ So happy to be back!!

Happy to have you back, Yuki! I've restarted again...again...I've lost count, seriously I have, but I've got an awesome stone age ruleset and content by now. I've hit Roman before, some day I may again...
Test Subject
#2979 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 9:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by abcbok
Alright, I've given in and started a blog! This thread is great but I need some more writing room

So far I've only posted about the history of the neighborhood, so there's not much there yet. I'll continue with a post for every household telling their history as well, then I'll keep it going from there

Here's the link if anyone wants to take a look: atotblog.wordpress.com

I love the blog. I have always thought of doing something like that but felt mine would be boring lol. Looking at your last picture you are using apartments - is that where you house all your slaves??
Field Researcher
#2980 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 4:41 PM
@girlsabc
LadyAqua has quite extensive CC boards on her Pinterest. She has a board for the Prehistoric era, Ancient Egypt and Ancient Greece. The last one has a lot of clothing that is also fitting for a roman hood. And since I haven't seen those on any of the boards I linked, there is also awesome sleep- and underwear by AlmightyHat (for males and for females) that is suitable for the roman era.

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Lab Assistant
#2981 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 5:01 PM
@girlsabc, thanks a lot! I'm sure it would be fun to read about yours as well, I'd definitely do it Yes, I do use apartments! Not only for the slaves, the farms especially are made with one big house for the owners (rich plebeians), and three smaller for the slave families. It gives me the feeling of all the children on the lot growing up together, instead of just the children in the same household

Regarding the blog, I finally posted about all the households! We had a long weekend here where I live and yes, I used it all for this. Worth it From here I'm thinking to post once per sim-year with the most important events. I've now reached year 50 of the neighborhood so it's quite a milestone
Screenshots

Find my Test of Time Challenge here!
Lab Assistant
#2982 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 6:50 PM
Dear fellow Romans
Are there any rules concerning university or vacation? I could imagine sending the emperor's and upper class sons to university in a Roman setting. Also, as the Roman Empire was quite large and multicultural, wealthy families could go on vacation, right?
Lab Assistant
#2983 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 6:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by YukiShine
Dear fellow Romans
Are there any rules concerning university or vacation? I could imagine sending the emperor's and upper class sons to university in a Roman setting. Also, as the Roman Empire was quite large and multicultural, wealthy families could go on vacation, right?

The rules say that Uni becomes availlable in the Middle Ages, but you can change the rules whenever you see fit. It is your game and if it seems logical to you, then why not
Lab Assistant
#2984 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 7:05 PM
Alright, thanks.
I just thought that maybe in the last two years there might have been an update on the rules I've missed, or something like that. Also, when I last played ToT I didn't have University, so I kind of ignored these parts then.

As for my sims, I guess I am going to make university available for my Romans, but restrict it severely in the Dark Ages. If I ever get that far, anyway.

However, for now I am getting to know all my sims again. I had forgotten so many of them, especially the children. But they are so much fun, there is so much going on and I still remember some of the stories and scandals from my neighborhood. :D
Lab Assistant
#2985 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 9:21 PM
@YukiShine, while my Romans never really leave the town, I think the vacations especially sound like a great idea for the rich people. As iireke7 said, why not add if you want it So glad to hear you're getting back with your sims!

I just finished year 51 and will update the blog soon, however I noticed something that I don't know how to deal with! One of my pater familias of a rich plebeian family is gay, and I decided I won't force him to marry and have kids. He's having an affair with another plebeian man who's bisexual. It seems I have a mod that can make men pregnant without knowing it, because I did the pregnancy scanner thing and umm... Yeah, he's knocked up! I'm not sure what to do here, really. Do I ignore it since it's unrealistic? Do I keep it because it's a game and who cares anyway? If I keep it, do I come up with some cover story or should I just... go with it? I'm so surprised by this and really don't know what to do. I laughed so much when I noticed his name in the popup

Lab Assistant
#2986 Old 28th Sep 2017 at 2:36 PM
@abcbok, I would totally keep it. Think of the reactions of everybody around when they find out! Will they consider the father (and child) to have been blessed by the gods, or will they think that the father secretly wanted an heir of his own blood so badly that he went and made a deal with evil forces? If it's the former, would society consider them to be of higher rank because of the gods' favor (i.e. treat them - or just the child? - like patricians), and if it's the latter, would they be shunned for it, the family demoted to slaves or exiled?
Aside from your story needs, the society's reaction would depend a lot on the father's reputation and relationships within the free classes, I think. His charisma too, probably - he might have a lot of fast talking to do once people find out he's pregnant, spinning a favorable story for himself before someone breaks out the torches and pitchforks!

As for the other father, would he recognise the child as his or not? If the whole thing is seen badly, I would think not, to avoid getting stuck in the fallout too. Same if people think a god/goddess did it (making the child a theoretical demigod), because that would ruin the cover story. If, however, the story is that the two lovers asked for the gods' favor and were granted it, then he might actually get some glory out of it - although not as much as the child's father, likely, since he's not the one who defied the laws of nature.
Test Subject
#2987 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 3:21 PM
See this is my trouble - I now want to restart my game lol. I think i will get all the clothings together then restart
Lab Assistant
#2988 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 10:07 PM
@Eldonyx - wow, thank you so much! There is no doubt, I will absolutely keep it. So far it's a secret, but once the baby comes we'll see what happens. The pregnant man however has low health and might die from the birth... In that case I guess it'll stay a secret except outside his immediate family, and the rest of the neighborhood will be forever speculating If he survives though, it'll be a different story! :D

Lab Assistant
#2989 Old 30th Sep 2017 at 2:06 AM
@abcbok, You're welcome. Is it okay if I cross my fingers and hope he'll survive? There's so much more story potential that way... Although it might get interesting if he dies too, I guess. The rest of society would probably try to pin the baby to a secret affair with some (likely married or of the wrong class) woman, and that could get her in trouble with her own family. Is there anyone due to give birth at around the same time as the father? And double points if she miscarries, or if her family has a tendency to have twins and it's likely that they would have had trouble taking care of two children... Triple points if the child actually bears some resemblance to her, too.

(Yes, I'm having far too much fun with this. Stuff like that never happens in my game.)
Lab Assistant
#2990 Old 30th Sep 2017 at 5:44 PM
@Eldonyx, definitely! I'm hoping the same. He just lost one of his little brothers this year so let's hope for some luck! He's one day away from birth by now so soon we will see the outcome He's a family sim so I'm sure he's happy about this, and I'm sure that makes it more likely people will assume he's knocked someone inappropriate up and taken the child in for hers and the child's sake. They'll have fun guessing who but I don't think people will be taking out their pitchforks about it

Another thing happening in the neighborhood is a plebeian girl who just married the most powerful man in the town after getting pregnant and telling him it's with him. Her father is a mean family sim politician so he married her to avoid getting on his bad side. The only thing is... it's not his baby. It's her family's houseslave's baby. Imagine the drama if the baby comes out looking just like him...

Test Subject
#2991 Old 30th Sep 2017 at 5:56 PM
Ok i started again and somehow (no i did not adjust the odds), every family started off with twins????
Test Subject
#2992 Old 30th Sep 2017 at 6:17 PM Last edited by girlsabc : 30th Sep 2017 at 6:32 PM.
hmm my last family, when she was giving birth it glitched i guess. She ended up with 1 girl and 4 boys. Soon after the dad died and the mum found out she was pregnant again.
Lab Assistant
#2993 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 9:32 AM
@girlsabc do your sims have family aspiration? If you've chosen the twin reward from their aspiration rewards then that might be it. Even though it's still quite unlikely that all of them get twins :/
Lab Assistant
#2994 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 9:34 AM
Alright, so a quick update: The baby is born, it's a little girl, and the father survived with one single health point, meaning he'll die within a few years for sure. It'll be interesting to see who the girl looks like growing up

Test Subject
#2995 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 11:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iireke7
@girlsabc do your sims have family aspiration? If you've chosen the twin reward from their aspiration rewards then that might be it. Even though it's still quite unlikely that all of them get twins :/

Yes i did but i have never had each couple give birth to twins as their first borns. In fact most of them had twins, then a single born and then twins again.
Field Researcher
#2996 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 1:42 PM
@girlsabc The last time I gave that aspiration perk to two family sims, they had three sets of twins in a row. XD So, I'm not overly supprised by your number of twins.

Lab Assistant
#2997 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 3:22 PM
@abcbok, great! (Goes off to see if the blog has been updated. It has. Doubly great!)

@girlsabc, sometimes these multiple multiple births happen without the need of any aspiration perks (really often, in my case).
In one family of my ToT, the father started the game by knocking up two women within hours of each other, and then both gave birth to twins. Next two births were singles, then another set of twins, another single birth, another set of twins, and finally two single births. None of the parents were even family sims, and yet only five births out of nine (and 13 children) were single.

In another family, it was all single births (4)... until, within a few days, the mother gave birth to a set of quads, and the father, who'd been experimented on by aliens, had another set of quads. The mother had gotten pregnant again almost right after delivery, so she had another child a mere few hours after the alien quads were born. At one point, there were four toddlers and five babies on the lot (plus two children who were understandably forced to take care of themselves) and not a teen in view to help (because they'd hightailed it to the teen lot at the end of the previous season, perhaps sensing the incoming baby bedlam?).

A third family started off with three single births... and then had triplets, two sets of twins, and one set of quads, with a last single birth to finish before the parents became elders. Those were family sims, but they didn't have any aspiration perks. Four single births out of fifteen children... That's only half the births being single! Considering how my odds were (and still are) set at 1% quads, 2% triplets, and 3% (or 4%? Can't remember) twins, I think my game might be borking the dice roll: I should get about one multiple birth out of fifteen or so, not half of them.

The two other founding families were thankfully a little less extreme, with one having only one set of twins and the other having none at all (!)
It seems so weird to think they would be the exception to the rule rather than the rule, but they are. It's gotten to the point where I'm surprised when a birth turns out to be single...
Field Researcher
#2998 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 4:56 PM
If you're using the Triplets & Quads mod things are different anyway. With it the default odds for twins are way higher than in a vanilla game and I'm pretty sure the aspiration perk doesn't have any effect, because the mod bypasses the normal single/twin birth decision process. Twins having a higher chance of having twins themselves also isn't the case anymore.

Lab Assistant
#2999 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 11:23 PM
Thanks, I didn't know that about the aspiration perk and twins having twins. I'm a bit disappointed these things don't work, although in hindsight, I really should have guessed it.
I'm starting to think I should probably roll the dice myself. That way, I'd get the correct odds (or lower them even more if necessary, because even 1% quads is still rather unrealistically high, to say the least), and I could incorporate odds for children of twins or people with the aspiration perk, too.

I love your blog, by the way. Reading it is a source of motivation to keep documenting my own game, especially at the end of a round like right now, when I know I still have a few hours worth of paperwork to do to keep all the stats up to date and my sims' stories straight. Makes me believe I might actually get around to posting this stuff one day...
Field Researcher
#3000 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 4:14 PM
Thank you, Eldonyx. It's really great to hear that my blog helps you keep motivated. <3 And I do hope you eventually get around to posting about your hood as well.
As far as documenting and updating my database and excel sheets go, I actually really love doing it. =P

I think I have the Triplets & Quads mod at the default odds. In any case, they're at 76%, 15%, 6% and 3% in my game. I did some quick calculations and considering all births in my hood so far (69 ), 71% were single births, 23,2% twin births, 1,4% triplets and 4,4% quads. Which actually comes fairly close to the set odds. The problem with probabilities is that even if you reduce the odds for quads further you could in theory still have quads three times in a row. XD

Just some more random thoughts following, because I've been playing sims and thinking about it too much lately.

Now that I started the 3rd generation in my hood (first 4th generation baby has been born a couple days ago :D), I also started handling fights differently. Killing the loser does make sense in this challenge's context and definitely helps to keep the population under control, but isn't particularly realistic. XD Especially perfectly healthy sims shouldn't just drop dead because of a little squabble with their siblings. So, since I'm using the Warwickshire health system for my sims, I now calculate how much health points the loser loses based on their current health. For excellent or superior health a 0 to 5 points loss, good health 0 to 10, fair health 5 to 15, poor health 10 to 25 and terrible health 20 to 35. This means sims in poor health can die and sims in terrible health always die.

In normal gameplay, every sim has a 1% chance to catch a cold every time they come home from work or school. But since my sims don't do that, they can't catch colds. So, for the next round, I think I'm going to try having a 1% chance that a sim catches a cold every time they leave their home lot to go hunting. We'll see how that goes and if I might regret my decision. XD But I'm just going to have way too many households, if my population keeps expanding so fast. Also, while looking about the exact percentage for the cold in the wiki, I noticed that they claim that sims can get food poisoning from spoiled and burnt food? o.O But my sims eat burnt food all the time and no one's ever gotten sick, so I assume it's just a mistake? Or has anyone had a different experience with burnt food?

I've been playing a 9-headed household yesterday and it made me realize that Maxis actually made a pretty good choice when they decided to limit household size to 8 sims. I really love playing with bigger households (6+ sims), but everything over 8 sims actually makes it difficult to get through the 5 days, because it just takes so long. XD

Finally, since we've had the dicussion about keeping track of your sims and remembering what they've been up to, I just noticed something that I do yesterday. It might sound a little silly, but you remember your sims way better, if you try to always call them by their name. I find that especially with bigger household, I tend to just think like "Oh, he's taking a shower and she's cooking and the child's playing inside." when cycling through the sims. But every time I notice I do it, I'll take myself back and be like "No, Peter is taking a shower and Mary is cooking, while their daughter Sarah is playing.".

And yeah, sorry for the really long post. ^^"

Page 120 of 128