Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#76 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
This seems like a fan site more than a news site. News sites usually credit someone in authority when they report things like that, and sure you could say the developer has authority. But he never really answered the question when a player asked him on Twitter. Instead they said something like 'what do you think' to the person who asked.

That does not look like evidence to me, and the info has never been confirmed by EA. If it really did do that well I should think EA would be shouting about it from the roof top. The money they get from the Sims is pure profit to them because they don't have to pay any royalties to anyone.

Anyway, I'm highly skeptical what this 5 mil represents exactly and will continue to be skeptical until EA confirms that it's sales or not - and if they never confirm it's sales then it must stand for something else. 5 million bugs, maybe? I have no doubt that the game is selling, but at the same time they're advertising the base game at a 60% discount on the old TS3 Exchange (saw this in a banner ad just today). That doesn't scream 'I'm a five million seller' to me.

Well it was SimGuruNinja's pin and he did have some Twitter responses to it. I take it as legit. I don't take a lot of speculations as legit. True they never said the exact words, "It is referring to sales of base game." But he did say top selling PC game last year as a response.
https://twitter.com/SimGuruNinja/st...383489589633024

Sure beats the "If the Sims 4 doesn't sell well, there will be no Sims 5" response.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#77 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 11:50 PM
So, Dine Out really did them some good. Digital sales excluded or included? Id does no matter, however, I still don't understand why is this game so popular? It can't be because of the CAS customization only. There's still so many things missing both from the game's list of features and the game's mechanics and design itself. I guess it's because a lot of people can't afford fairly normal PC's, and TS4 is the first Sims game that has quite low system req's for it's age.

And as much as I hope for TS5 and am curious to see what's it going to look like, I am also quite scared of what might be cut out of it.
Mad Poster
#78 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 12:27 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Jun 2016 at 12:37 AM.
My only question for Sims 5 is: How many new ways can EA find to screw up our favorite games? They rarely, if ever, seem to take players' requests into account, they somehow manage to remove the good things, and instead leave us with half-finished and borked leftovers from their tinkering, and they add stuff we haven't asked for and often don't want of the game, and don't seem to care as long as their pockets fill with money.

If not for the tinkerings of the Sims community, and the modding tools simmers had to invent, I highly doubt the Sims games would have been as popular as they actually are. If the game creators had actually listened to us and taken into account what simmers really want in the games, I think Sims 5 could have great potential. But if the game creators once again gets locked up at the EA headquarters, left alone in their own little cave with no connection to the outside world, Sims 5 would probably just end up being a huge flop. Their approach kinda reminds me of the "steal the moon" scene in Despicable me - filled with stupid ideas, minions who get excited about anything, some accidents waiting to happen, and a plan so far out there it's literally off the planet...
Scholar
#79 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 2:35 AM
Ugh, can this franchise get worse?
Top Secret Researcher
#80 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 8:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pretenshus
Ugh, can this franchise get worse?

It certainly can. The question is, will it get worse, or perhaps better? Who knows.

I'm betting that, if not in few years, sometime EA is going to make TS5, and it's just not going to be simulation/sandbox game anymore. More like a spin-off.
Theorist
#81 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 3:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Scobre
Well it was SimGuruNinja's pin and he did have some Twitter responses to it. I take it as legit. I don't take a lot of speculations as legit. True they never said the exact words, "It is referring to sales of base game." But he did say top selling PC game last year as a response.

Sure beats the "If the Sims 4 doesn't sell well, there will be no Sims 5" response.

I already read his replies and I stand by what I said. He's throwing that rather suspicious chart of PC sales out there as a side maneuver IMO. This is evident when he says 'what do you think?'.

If that was EA's way of confirming 5 million sales of this game, then I'm completely shocked. For now I'm waiting on the quarterly stockholders report to see if anything gets mentioned.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Lab Assistant
#82 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 8:31 AM
The Sims series is already over for me, so I don't care about the Sims 5. I did not really like the Sims 3, even though it was funny, it had a lot of issues that made it a pain more than an enjoyment so I left it. Sims 4, as it is now, is not a bad game... it loads fast and works well, but it's boring and being boring is far worse than being bad in my opinion.
Forum Resident
#83 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 3:10 PM

It really should be repeated that EA doesn't even give FIFA or Madden numbers...or Battlefield...or any big franchise. This is why. Because fans unnecessarily try to rank its success or failure to its predecessors or other franchises.

In fact look at MMORPG games its the same. No one comes out and tells you how many people play their games because what happens is "Well...WOW had X amount of players and this isn't even close to that. This game is a failure." played so many MMOs and this happened so many times. So many MMORPGs are called failures because they never reached WOW (World of Warcraft) numbers. But you know what? A lot of those games are enjoyed by many people and get updates regularly so they are not failing at all. Same thing happening here. People want to compare its numbers to TS2 or TS3 and call it a success or failure based on that ignoring that millions of people love the game any ways and that it continues to be funded any ways so that's all that matters in the end. Not every game is made to appeal to everyone, that's alright. If the game is making a good profit for the company then it is a success.

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Instructor
#84 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 6:00 PM
Are they including the packs in copies sold of the game? Because that is the only way I believe the numbers.
Scholar
#85 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 7:29 PM
Ea should stop calling it a "game" and more of a "framework" or "DIY Kit".
I always think about how I only play the sims 3 because of third party modders like the ones here and honestly, EA never actually "finished" the sims 3... The community is still working on it, making it better, testing new things, all the time.
...Should we thank EA for their mistakes that push the community to strive for something greater on their own?
Forum Resident
#86 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 7:34 PM
I would add that there are no games in existence that cannot be improved upon in perpetuity by a mod community. So in essence, there is no game that would ever be "finished" by this definition.
Your point does highlight the importance of powerful modification tools for third party users in order to boost the value of any game.

When an engineer says that something can't be done, it's a code phrase that means it's not fun to do.
Scholar
#87 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lodakai
I would add that there are no games in existence that cannot be improved upon in perpetuity by a mod community. So in essence, there is no game that would ever be "finished" by this definition.
Your point does highlight the importance of powerful modification tools for third party users in order to boost the value of any game.

Yes, as I was writing it I thought about that. I think most of the issue is how EA is treating the Sims 4. It not so much that it is not complete... Its how it seems to be even more incomplete than usual. They gave you less of a game for more money and then have the nerve to make you pay for elements that should honestly already be apart of the game to some extent.

I'm sure they knew what they were doing which is basically banking on the loyalty of the community to buy the game and then eventually give in to buying packs to satisfy the overwhelming lack of satisfaction. It's sad and unfair.
Alchemist
#88 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 9:04 PM
I dream of a The Sims that has the same graphics and open world like GTA V does available for consoles
Instructor
#89 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 7:35 AM Last edited by Scobre : 24th Jun 2016 at 8:00 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by H.O.W
It really should be repeated that EA doesn't even give FIFA or Madden numbers...or Battlefield...or any big franchise. This is why. Because fans unnecessarily try to rank its success or failure to its predecessors or other franchises.

In fact look at MMORPG games its the same. No one comes out and tells you how many people play their games because what happens is "Well...WOW had X amount of players and this isn't even close to that. This game is a failure." played so many MMOs and this happened so many times. So many MMORPGs are called failures because they never reached WOW (World of Warcraft) numbers. But you know what? A lot of those games are enjoyed by many people and get updates regularly so they are not failing at all. Same thing happening here. People want to compare its numbers to TS2 or TS3 and call it a success or failure based on that ignoring that millions of people love the game any ways and that it continues to be funded any ways so that's all that matters in the end. Not every game is made to appeal to everyone, that's alright. If the game is making a good profit for the company then it is a success.

Not sure what you are trying to argue at or why you even quoted me. Seriously sounds like the Peanuts teacher with all this "sides" sludge. I don't ever recall MMOs saying if this game doesn't sell well there won't be a sequel to it. I guess that is the difference between MMOs and laptop games, they aren't required to make sequels to them. Although I have played Lineage 2 and for a 10 year+ old game, the graphics are still amazing. I guess it's rather pointless to compare a laptop Sim game to MMO unless you are referring to the Sims Online or the Sims Social that also run ok on bad graphics cards? *shrugs* There probably will come a point and time that the Sims games stop being numbered like the Land Before Time movies. Thanks for the giggles. Guild Wars 2 still rocks. :lovestruc There are actually a lot of cool free MMO games on Steam with cool graphics. I've played quite a few.
Forum Resident
#90 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 7:57 AM
Not sure what you are trying to argue at or why you even quoted me. I don't ever recall MMOs saying if this game doesn't sell well there won't be a sequel to it. I guess that is the difference between MMOs and laptop games, they don't always make sequels to them. Although I have played Lineage 2 and for a 10 year+ old game, the graphics are still amazing. I guess it's rather pointless to compare a laptop Sim game to MMO unless you are referring to the Sims Online or the Sims Social that also run ok on bad graphics cards? *shrugs* There probably will come a point and time that the Sims games stop being numbered like the Land Before Time movies. Thanks for the giggles.

I wasn't arguing with you at all actually, I just quoted you to build upon your post. I don't know why people think if I quote them I'm attacking them? Your post brought me to that point is all.

Also, it never really needs to be said. If something doesn't sell well, there is less likely to be a sequel. This is true not only for games, but movies, shows, or anything really. Nothing is immune to this, EA Sports for example has had many of their franchise just shut down due to bad sales.

I don't think TS4 being a laptop game is a bad thing (Minecraft is a laptop game and so are many PC games actually) but I wasn't comparing it in that sense. Just that this is the reason that companies do not go off and tell people how many are playing their games. Because fans will compare it to another game and say it fails or succeeds based on that. I mentioned MMOs because it's so common there.

People always say "Oh that (MMO) failed." then you play it and you're like no not really at all. There are plenty of people playing it and there are updates etc etc. I started playing ESO and from what I heard it was a massive failure and yet here we are, it just had an update and is having another big update later this year. There were plenty of people running around the game completing quests and it didn't feel like a failure at all. Sure it doesn't have millions of subs like WoW but it seems to be doing just fine.

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Instructor
#91 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 8:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by H.O.W
I wasn't arguing with you at all actually, I just quoted you to build upon your post. I don't know why people think if I quote them I'm attacking them? Your post brought me to that point is all.

Also, it never really needs to be said. If something doesn't sell well, there is less likely to be a sequel. This is true not only for games, but movies, shows, or anything really. Nothing is immune to this, EA Sports for example has had many of their franchise just shut down due to bad sales.

I don't think TS4 being a laptop game is a bad thing (Minecraft is a laptop game and so are many PC games actually) but I wasn't comparing it in that sense. Just that this is the reason that companies do not go off and tell people how many are playing their games. Because fans will compare it to another game and say it fails or succeeds based on that. I mentioned MMOs because it's so common there.

People always say "Oh that (MMO) failed." then you play it and you're like no not really at all. There are plenty of people playing it and there are updates etc etc. I started playing ESO and from what I heard it was a massive failure and yet here we are, it just had an update and is having another big update later this year. There were plenty of people running around the game completing quests and it didn't feel like a failure at all. Sure it doesn't have millions of subs like WoW but it seems to be doing just fine.

In my opinion, I think five years from now, laptops will be phased out. They already are starting to be archaic ever since tablets became popular when I was attending college. Still why I think the Sims 4 has a slablet instead of a laptop. I think by the time the Sims 5 comes out if it does, making Sims games run on laptops won't be a priority anymore.

EA has shut down franchises despite making good sales too sadly like SimCity. That game sold 2 million copies by its first year. Honestly I don't think there is anything wrong with people thinking the game fails. It's just a subjective opinion just like if someone says the game succeeds. I guess point being, if game is fun for you, that is all that matters. There were Simmers that weren't happy during the Sims 3 and waited for another Sims game to play. So I don't see why it is so wrong for them to do that with the Sims 4. It is just history repeating itself. Why I'm fine with people talking about the Sims 5. Nice to know that they still think the Sims has a future past just this iteration. I want the Sims to have a future even if the Sims 3 and 4 aren't my favorites of the series. I'm curious what the Sims 5 will be like. Like will it venture into virtual reality? Will it bring gradual aging? Will it generate worlds like Minecraft using math formulas?
Field Researcher
#92 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 9:16 AM
:O What, I love my macbook though.. but I'm not stupid enough to play games on it, I have a PC beast for that lol.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. -Aristotle
Scholar
#93 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 12:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
That point in time already happened though ... Bustin' Out and Urbz and Castway Stories and Life Stories and Pet Stories and Medieval... All non-numbered Sims games.

Those were spin-offs or console ports from the main series though.

I imagine they'd keep with the numbered Sims games for each generation though. It's a big money maker when you can have the basegame then numerous expansion packs, stuff packs, game packs, or any store content available.Most of those other examples were to branch out to other potential customers and not just have the Sims as a PC only game, whilst also giving each game its own unique stand out, like Urbz being in an actual city and focusing on money, success, fame, glamour.
Mad Poster
#94 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 1:02 AM
I always wanted another life/pet/castaway stories style game.

You get choice features from expansion packs that really define the series thus far, provide great gameplay, and support the theme of the spin-off, add in some very small new features and objects, retrofit a story mode over it and you've got a game. Best of it, it's built for a laptop.

Life Stories had a very cape-cod feel that I liked a lot. Pet Stories was both rural and modern, and castaway stories was an entirely new Simming experience with lush jungles, and sprawling beaches (I wish they'd bring back ways to collect water and produce electricity).

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#95 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 12:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by XtraSim
maybe if they bring open world back but not if it's anything like the sims 4. i've only played the sims 3 and that was great. but from what i can see from reviews and screenshots of the other games the sims 4 is the sims 2 reloaded!

If you've only played Sims 3, how can you judge the rest?

Also Sims 2 and Sims 4 are in totally different leagues and Sims 4 is definitely not a reloaded version of Sims 2. Sims 2 trumps 4 anyday.
Mad Poster
#96 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 12:19 PM
I have played since 1 came out and other than a few packs such as k perry have gotten everything from 1-4 to date. Each game has its strengths and weaknesses. I absolutely loved 3 and still like it, but now when I fire it up it looks dated compared to 4. There are things I love about 4. There are things I hate about 4.

Like many of us I would like the best of all of them. It took a while but I like the graphics of 4 the most now, I think. Give me great graphics, an open world, CASt again, lots on slopes and over water again, etc. and I will be a very happy camper.

Build up this time and not down in terms of lower end computers. I know not everyone can upgrade computers for Sims. All my upgrades over the years were tied to the game. This time, design up for the players that can handle those specs. Like a fair number of other games have done.
Field Researcher
#97 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 2:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
I always wanted another life/pet/castaway stories style game.

You get choice features from expansion packs that really define the series thus far, provide great gameplay, and support the theme of the spin-off, add in some very small new features and objects, retrofit a story mode over it and you've got a game. Best of it, it's built for a laptop.

Life Stories had a very cape-cod feel that I liked a lot. Pet Stories was both rural and modern, and castaway stories was an entirely new Simming experience with lush jungles, and sprawling beaches (I wish they'd bring back ways to collect water and produce electricity).

I would love a sequel to Castaway :lovestruc But only if it was done right
Forum Resident
#98 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 5:14 AM
Oh boy where to start.

Customization to the max. Seriously, the click and drag sliders of TS4 is a decent start, with the CASt of TS2 but take it 10 steps further. I want hair length sliders, I want to be able to place 3 braids of various sizes on my sims head, I want to make a sim with a single strand of hair jetting out at a 90 degree angle from their butt. I want to place a pair of bangs completely down their face. Then I want a slider to decide the hair texture, from pin straight to wool. Then i want to customize the color of every bit of the hair. I want a different color highlight on the left side than the right, with red tips, black roots and a streak of magenta straight down the middle. Then I want to save this hairstyle and use it later. And layerable clothing with sliders or maybe even sizes. I want to give my petite size sim a large t-shirt. Then I want to drag the t-shirt to make it a t-shirt dress, then I want to import a logo from my computer to go on the sleeve. Then I want to get rid of the left sleeve and make the right sleeve quarter length. Then I want to place 3 different jackets and cardigans over it all of various textures and sizes. Then the face and body. I want an extra detail mode for hair, face, body and clothing where Im given the bare blueprint of the mesh, where in game I can select any and every vertice there is and drag it to my pleasing. I want to not only have various skin tone sliders but the option to contour/highlight any part of the body as I see fit. Of course if Im pressed for time default "normal" looking hairs and outfits will be available to choose. And can we get realistic looking sims? The cartoony aspects can come in the game play, but I think realism in their looks could go a long way. And can their worlds be as maliable as the sims? I want to make a neighborhood straight in game, I want to make it off of a cliff, or in a city, or wherever the hell I want. Then I want a screen to choose which outfits townies can and cannot randomly generate. Maybe I want a 1950s suburb without modern dressed sims walking around. Same with furniture and technology. I dont want cars driving around my medieval village. And please, just include all "normal everyday" things in the base game. University, apartments/cities, school, work, weather, holidays and pets are all pretty every day ordinary things that shouldnt be taking up an expansion slot anymore. This game would be huge size wise but it would be worth it. So when it does come time for expansion packs, they're "extraordinary" parts of life. Exotic destinations, Fame, Magic, and time travel are all big and different features that should be offered as optional "expansions". Apartment living and weather should not.
Mad Poster
#99 Old 2nd Jul 2016 at 5:08 PM
Remember, it's always a battle of processing power, the expected consumer base's revenue input, and the development time of the game.

Base games often take 4 years. Too much development time on extensive sim customization would not only force the processor to jump through loops to load all of the settings, but force EA to take time away from other portions of the game. Also, the more customization options afforded, the better the computer would have to be to use it, while rendering a constantly moving open world, and EA try to cater to as many people a possible, which means lower end tech from 5+ years ago.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Page 4 of 18