Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 11:42 PM
Default What do you do with package files that has random letters and numbers in them?
I'm wondering because I have like 103 of them in the download folder which I had placed in a folder named gibberish because what's what they are to me and I don't know what to do with them yet so i'm asking to help me decide what to do with them.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 11:45 PM
I figured out what they were, and if I wanted to keep them I renamed them to something more useful. Nowadays I rename them right away when adding them in to downloads folder, though I rarely encounter it.

In order to figure out what they were I used a combination of programs, SimPE, Delphy's download organizer and Wardrobe Wrangler.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 11:46 PM
I don't see very many of them because I only get them when I install lots or Sims2Packs (which I don't do very often). However, you could probably just move all your other CC out of your downloads and try to figure out what the packages are?

"'Why is Shinji blushing over everything Kaworu does,' you ask? He's gay..... gay gay gay gay gay" -Actual Kaworu
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SakuraKiss
I don't see very many of them because I only get them when I install lots or Sims2Packs (which I don't do very often). However, you could probably just move all your other CC out of your downloads and try to figure out what the packages are?

I have 103 of them and i'm not good with coming up with new names so I left them be.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 11:55 PM
If you find out what they are you can then give them descriptive names eg redwallpaper. I had a lot of files with numbers and letters but opened them in SimPE and slowly renamed them. Now I know exactly what I've got in my downloads folder and whether I still want it.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 12:07 AM
If you mean the ones with a very long random collection of letters and numbers, I don't bother renaming them - but I always go through them in case they're mailbox or trashcan recolors, because I hate having those in my game. They're stickier than superglue and always piggyback on every single lot you pack. It's annoying, to say the least.

Most of the time those files are CC files renamed by the default installer. If you want to avoid this, I suggest installing files with the Clean Installer. Some random-named files may get added from older lots, though.

Sim files made in Bodyshop or installed sims (8x8 digit files), I leave as-is.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 12:22 AM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 18th Apr 2018 at 1:00 AM.
I took everything out of the download folder and put in just the Gibberish folder in there so it would be faster for Bodyshop and Clean Installer to load up and so that it be easier for me to track them down and I see what they look like. I'm using the Sims2Pack Clean Installer to view the images and using that to rename them to something for descriptive and less confusing and the Bodyshop to see what they look like on a sim and wherever I want to keep them or not.

I found out that most of them are face presets and only 7 of them are outfits. I used the tooltip names, a feature that Sims2Pack Clean Installer conveniently provided along with an easy to use User Interface and the images to help me come up with the names. If the tooltip included the creator's then I would rename it to include that and to describe the outfits and since i'm terrible at it I just name them to something really basic like PSMD (Paysites Must Die) Adult Male Blue Jeans or Fantasyrogue's Adult and Teen Red Formal Dress as,no need for me to come up with anything fancy. Then after i'm done i'm using CatOfEvilGenius' filename tooltip program to rename the tooltip names to the packages' names to track them down easier and faster in case I don't want them anymore.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 12:40 AM
Renamed them - renamed them all. I use the maker's name if I can find it and a description of some sort (e.g. greencheckdress).

Mind you I rename a lot of stuff - get rid of stupid square brackets and spaces and funny symbols too. And overlong filenames.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 1:01 AM
I also used Sims Clean Installer to find many of them. Some contain pictures. I made a lot, put the items I thought had the alphanumeric combo, and verified that these were the ones I wanted in question. I then renamed them. If I knew the creator's name, I included it.

I found all but around a dozen or so of them. Also, if by chance one of these is on a custom lot I made, I found and renamed it. (Originally, I had between 50 and 100 ... I forgot the exact number), Those, I stuck under a "WhoKnows" folder and left. I'm not so worried about a dozen or so files in an almost 5 GB downloads folder!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 1:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Renamed them - renamed them all. I use the maker's name if I can find it and a description of some sort (e.g. greencheckdress).

Mind you I rename a lot of stuff - get rid of stupid square brackets and spaces and funny symbols too. And overlong filenames.

That's what I had done as well but I used Sims2Pack Clean Installer to rename them and let me tell you that program is a life saver. I didn't have to close it down in order to rename as it comes with a feature that lets you rename it within the program along with the tooltip name that I had used to help me rename the files if it comes with the name of the creator,the content or both.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 1:33 AM
Face preset means they are sims, they should not be in your download folder.

Once you find out what they rename them.

I find if I download a lot with walls and floors Clean Installer changes the name to gibberish, so I install one at a time and rename them as I go.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 1:51 AM
I install lots with the Clean Installer. When one comes packaged with CC, I put it into a folder named after the lot and then stick it as a subfolder under a Custom Lot Material folder. I'm too lazy to rename it all. I've only installed custom Sims a few times, but I'd do the same thing. This isn't very helpful after-the-fact though.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 1:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77

Once you find out what they rename them.

I find if I download a lot with walls and floors Clean Installer changes the name to gibberish, so I install one at a time and rename them as I go.

Where do the face presets go?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 2:13 AM
Saved Sims.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#15 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 3:17 AM
I rarely get those since I use clean installer, but on the off chance that I do, I usually figure out what it is using a program and rename the file. I can't stand having badly named files in my downloads folder since it makes it harder to organize and clear out bad cc.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 3:59 AM
Years ago I made the decision to delete all files that were like that in my downloads folder; I literally had hundreds of them. Since then as a rule I only use the creators original files; to me this is especially important if you are sharing Sims or lots.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 10:55 AM
I use a program from the Wooden Simeoleon called "Sim Text", which allows you to rename those packages that have subtitles.

Many of the 'gibberish ones' do not have subtitles, being strict recolors. I usually leave them in unless they're mailbox & garbage can recolors-those you can see in the Sims2 Clean installer. Those get thrown out as soon as I see them.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#18 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 11:26 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 18th Apr 2018 at 11:46 AM.

If you mean the 8+8 digit number files Bodyshop puts in SavedSims when making sims (example: "ce517015_df40c93d.package"), I've never had any issues putting them in Downloads. That's usually where most of my downloaded or Bodyshop sims go. After installing them, I keep individual sims and their CC in separate folders for easier moving/deleting.

The only files I keep in SaveSims are a few random sims (face presets) I've made in Bodyshop, plus the last files from whatever projects I worked on, so I can take out most of my CC for faster loading without the items from my next Bodyshop project getting scrambled sortindex numers, since I often move out the rest of the files from the project (the Sortindex numbers start from the highest number found in your SavedSims/downloads folders).

If you're talking about other sim files, like those extracted from ingame with SimPE, those have no business being in your Downloads or SavedSims folders once you've made a clone in Bodyshop, and should be moved away from the "The Sims 2" folder or deleted.
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 2:28 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I've renamed all the clothes to something more descriptive and easier to find.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 2:40 PM

Sorry Jo, but I have to disagree with you on this. I tested this many times, and this never happens to me.
I even posted it here .
So, in which instance CleanInstaller has renamed walls & floors for you? Or maybe the creators just never renamed their files, which would explain why you get gibberish.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Instructor
#21 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I use a program from the Wooden Simeoleon called "Sim Text", which allows you to rename those packages that have subtitles.

Many of the 'gibberish ones' do not have subtitles, being strict recolors. I usually leave them in unless they're mailbox & garbage can recolors-those you can see in the Sims2 Clean installer. Those get thrown out as soon as I see them.

@FranH Where did you get this program? Share please.
Alchemist
#22 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 6:46 PM
I delete them! A little like LilSister above, I used to have a bunch of these but have banned them from my download folder, especially since I realized how they show up for me, mainly through installing lots (I have to back up Jo on this one, @Rosebine, as whenever I install lots, whether through the game's installer or the Clean Installer, the cc files get renamed to these long gibberish names and put directly in my downloads folder. Perhaps you have a setting enabled that we don't know about?)

Anyways, I don't use bodyshop, rather using SimPE to extract sims and saving those in my Saved Sims folder and I don't download lots with cc very often. Rather, the files came from when I would install a lot *I* had previously packaged and made. I don't need to do this very often anymore, since Jo showed me that tip about moving lots into the bin from the neighborhood, but since I have separate TS2 folders for different hoods, it comes up every now and then. When it does, I use Clean Installer and select "lot only" to install just the lot and no cc, because everything in the lot should already be in my Downloads folder and if something's missing, it's cuz I culled it from the folder and clearly didn't want it anymore. If I find that I do want it, however, or at least want to figure out what it was, then I install the lot with the cc (but no mods!). I figure out what the missing floor or whatever is, then go redownload/install that and file it away in its proper subfolder, deleting all the gibberish files once I've got the original file with the correct name and everything.

On the rare occasions that I download lots with cc (and again, I don't very often, to avoid these files and cc I don't really want), I first try to download all the necessary cc first through the original source. Then I'll either install the lot with no cc and just the bones (it's rare that another simmer and I have the exact same taste in cc anyway) or install everything in a test hood, pick out the the bits I want to keep, editing the lot if so necessary, and repackaging it. I put the repackaged lot in my game and delete all the files I don't need anymore.

So yeah, I don't keep those in my downloads folder anymore. Though, full disclosure, I do have a folder with a bunch of them on my desktop hard drive somewhere, leftover from an old TS2 installation on my laptop. I can't bear to delete it, just in case I have some cc there that I can't find anymore, and I swore to myself that I'd clean it up and name them, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#23 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 6:48 PM
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#24 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 6:57 PM

Really - I've never seen CI rename anything.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
#25 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 7:34 PM
Really? That just seems so strange to me, cuz it's the only way I get the gibberish files the OP is talking about (again, I don't use bodyshop). I'm not at home right now, so I can't show pictures or anything, but if I install a lot and check the CC to install with the lot, all the CC files get renamed and placed in TS2/Downloads, as I mentioned above. It doesn't do that for everyone?

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Page 1 of 2