Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jan 2024 at 7:05 PM
Default Darkling Neighbourhood and Career
Hi, would anyone like to test a populated neighbourhood with custom career for me please?

Needs- The Sims 2 with all EPs and SPs, plus the included career.
Optional but recommended- Lord Darcy's mod , if you don't have this then you won't be able to buy a souvenir from the plantation.

It's an island, the scenario is that it's very isolated and has to be self-sufficient. So everyone on the island is employed on the island, and the career is part of the livelihood of the island (there's a plantation, and the trees make most things used on the island, including the buildings). Some people are employed in this career, others work at the island businesses. One islander is the business owner.

The island is called Darkling and has no native trees, it's inspired by images of the Faroe Islands and other northern islands. It's a main neighbourhood, not a subhood.
The career is called Forest Products. I previously tested it here and that thread has more detail.

Darkling has community lots and houses- all occupied, there's nothing vacant. I created it with empty templates, so the island occupants are the only sims there- and this is a good way to test it as it gives an idea of how the locals are interacting with each other. If you play with standard template then the game will add all the suburb sims (downtownies, townies etc) so you'll probably see them more than the locals!

You need to install both the neighbourhood and the career to test this- I did previously have someone test the career and I have tested it all myself, but please beware that I've never made a career before so you might want to remove that from your game before you play your own neighbourhoods. Just use it for testing Darkling at the moment. I can't guarantee what will happen if you don't install the career when you test Darkling!

I need feedback on absolutely everything- apart from storytelling it's pretty much finished, so anything you see wrong or that you don't like or think could be improved, I'd like to know about.

Is it the sort of hood people would be interested in playing? Please don't be afraid to say it sucks, all feedback is useful to me!

Random photos here:
https://imgur.com/a/IHFiOQH

Download the neighbourhood: https://simfileshare.net/download/4419016/
Download the career (required): https://simfileshare.net/download/4418841/

Thank you!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 26th Jan 2024 at 2:40 PM
This looks really interesting! I love smaller neighborhoods and I'm going to give it a try.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 27th Jan 2024 at 9:28 AM
I love the concept and the island itself, very cozy, I will download and try the career when I have a moment ^^
Test Subject
#6 Old 27th Jan 2024 at 10:22 AM
I am also working on a project, but facing some problems.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Jan 2024 at 11:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback @Aspersim!
@abc_ente and @Sokisims Thank you, I'd really appreciate if you could both test it a bit!
@AlexaHarvey Would you please be able to test mine? What problems do you have with yours? You could start a thread about it if you want help and feedback. Maybe I would be able to help!
Forum Resident
#8 Old 27th Jan 2024 at 1:25 PM
Cool! I'll create a new EA Games folder and play around a bit to see if everything works well!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 27th Jan 2024 at 5:10 PM
Just a little thing: I first had a look into the houses. In some of them I saw a tired Sim angrily waving with his arms because the double beds are standing too close to the wall.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Jan 2024 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aspersim
No problems I added a police and fire station and I plan to add a library as a pretend school as well.

Good ideas! Thanks for testing, let me know if you have any issues!

Quote: Originally posted by abc_ente
Just a little thing: I first had a look into the houses. In some of them I saw a tired Sim angrily waving with his arms because the double beds are standing too close to the wall.

Thanks for the report, I think you are talking about the Guzeg house? If so then that's by design; the large bedroom is for Tohm and Rolee, the room with two singles is for the teenagers, and Manee has his bed pushed against the wall as that is the side his dead wife would have slept on.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 28th Jan 2024 at 4:06 PM
I'm playing the neighborhood and to keep an eye on the carrier I started a competition for the men : "Who will be the first to reach the top of that carrier?"
By the way, it's fun to play.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 30th Jan 2024 at 10:49 PM
Thank you @Aspersim Very kind offer! However the idea I have for the hood is that it is very small and very isolated, so as it is at the moment I want to keep the community lots as they are and not add any more for the final version. Of course, if I get this tested and uploaded then of course you will be welcome to upload your own version of it, or to share the lots you have made for it. Really cool ideas you have I think! Yes, it is a bit cold for outdoor swimming although Dusila does diving as part of her Oceanography job. Did you get chance to test out the lots that are on the island already at all?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 30th Jan 2024 at 11:10 PM
Brilliant, thank you for the feedback! I love that you made Darkling into a city with more houses and sims, I hope you'll upload that too!
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 31st Jan 2024 at 2:41 AM
When visiting the plantation Morr Arcos and Fro Lhast had no faces, just a blue something. But it could be fixed with the mirror. The plantation is working fine.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 31st Jan 2024 at 9:27 AM
Ooh, will test that to see if I can reproduce, @abc_ente Thank you for the report!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 31st Jan 2024 at 11:03 AM
Hi @abc_ente I've tested this again and can't reproduce it in my game, could you please give me some details? What resolution is your game running on? Can you tell me if you are running on high sim and light detail or not please? (in the graphics options).

I've tested with different graphics levels, but all were okay in my game (vanilla, no mods at all). I wonder whether it's due to the sliders I used to create the sims' faces. If you experience this again, could you please get a screenshot, and also tell me when steps you took before it happened (whether your sim came from home or another community lot, whether you had any other CC on the sim or in-game at the time etc.,). Thank you for reporting, I'll keep testing!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 1st Feb 2024 at 1:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Hi @abc_ente I've tested this again and can't reproduce it in my game, could you please give me some details? What resolution is your game running on? Can you tell me if you are running on high sim and light detail or not please? (in the graphics options).

I've tested with different graphics levels, but all were okay in my game (vanilla, no mods at all). I wonder whether it's due to the sliders I used to create the sims' faces. If you experience this again, could you please get a screenshot, and also tell me when steps you took before it happened (whether your sim came from home or another community lot, whether you had any other CC on the sim or in-game at the time etc.,). Thank you for reporting, I'll keep testing!

Hi @simsample, I've sent the two sims to the plantation again. This time everything was ok.
My resolution is 1600x900.
I' m running the game on high sim and light detail.
The first time there were mods in the game.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#22 Old 1st Feb 2024 at 1:32 PM
Maybe it was a glitch if it isn't reocurring? Thanks for testing it, please let me know if it happens again!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 28th Feb 2024 at 4:22 PM
Hey @abc_ente @Sokisims and anyone else who tested for me:
Thank you all for testing, could you please let me know if you found any problems or have any suggestions? Going to give it a final playtest and then look to uploading it, so any comments appreciated (positive and negative criticism appreciated!). Thank you!
Forum Resident
#24 Old 28th Feb 2024 at 7:02 PM
Hi @simsample, I haven't been able to try it yet because I couldn't concentrate much on the sims this last month. I hope to try it these days and tell you!

Still, I was going to try it more because I like custom hoods, but I don't think it has any errors, I know you know a lot about the sims 2.

Although it's always good to receive opinions from others in case new ideas arise. ^^
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 28th Feb 2024 at 9:25 PM
Thanks @Sokisims I appreciate you taking the time!
Page 1 of 2