Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 7:33 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Help with crashing game
Hi all!

Sorry if this is the wrong sub, I looked at the forum list and couldn't see an obvious choice.

I have a very strange issue with my game crashing.

It happens when I click to enter the build mode stairs or garage menus. This happened both on a populated lot and on an empty, new lot.
Naturally, I went to test my downloads to find the culprit, but here's where it got weird:

I took out my latest, unsorted folder - game stopped crashing.
I put half of the folder contents back - game still not crashing.
Then I swapped, putting the other half of the content back instead - and the game once again did not crash.

I moved on to try this with my objects folder and my mods.
Even found it happening with a small group of food items.

Same thing over and over - take out the folder, the game stops crashing.
But none the wiser to what's actually causing it, because each half of any 50/50 test works fine, even when switched to double check.

I removed the little group of food items entirely, thinking "Well ok if this fixes it for some bizarre reason I can live without those" - but then the issue returned.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Does it point to something?

I'm very confused, frustrated and desperate.
Thank you!
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 10:06 PM
Sounds like one thing is clashing with some other thing and they're in either half of your 50-50. That's a PITA to find but it is doable. I'd try a double 50-50 if you see what I mean. Put in one half of your DLs then half of the remaining half (in a different folder) and try to track down one of the clashing things. Then, once found, do it the other way round.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 11:19 PM
That or you have my issue, that was my computer set up could only play a very small amount of CC, go over that and it had issues. I ended up getting a new Graphics card.

You don't happen to be on a Radeon do you? AMD put out updates that broke many directx9 games. Then there was also some window updates that added to it. If your game was working then you had some updates, suspect that especially if it doesn't matter what the CC is. I even tried someone else's folder-still had issues. Mine wasn't crashing, more not saving properly with freezing.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Oct 2018 at 5:36 PM
Thank you so much for trying to help!

Maxon - that's what I thought, but then it became clear that it almost didn't matter what I removed or which combination I went for. If there was a conflict between two objects and the game worked with either half of that content, sure, that would make sense. But then why have the exact same issue with either half of different folders? It would have to be a 6+ part conflict, which, while I suppose not impossible in theory, seems very unlikely. I tried taking out all my mods and default replacements, figuring that was something that might affect a number of other items, but that didn't help with the crashing.

joandsarah77 - my graphics card is AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series. I don't recall installing any updates, but I suppose they might have snuck one past me.
I have a very large collection of cc, but if the volume was the issue, wouldn't it be odd that it crashes specifically the second I click the stairs or garage menus?
It would have to mean I'd just exactly hit the cc limit since removing a small folder of 10 or so food items helped in one instance (but then the problem returned).
Edited to add: Oh, and regarding the possibility of the amount of cc being the issue, removing my huge folders of recolours and clothing didn't help! So I don't think that's it.

I tried many times to find some kind of sense in what was causing the issue by removing different folders and each attempt left me with my hands thrown up in the air.

My latest experiment was testing previously saved versions of the game. I went back a couple until I found one that didn't crash. Then I switched back to my latest game, the one I knew had been crashing, but swapped in the downloads folder from the game that worked. Result: No crash.
I've not yet had time to go through it all, but when I do, I will sit down and compare the two downloads folders, try 50/50'ing those specific files that differ, and see if that can lead to any insight.

This whole thing is so tricky and while I know some stuff, there's definitely also a lot I don't know. So I really appreciate your input and advice, if anyone has any other suggestions, please keep it coming!
Theorist
#5 Old 15th Oct 2018 at 8:49 PM
I know you had issues with the Bespoke set @blockparty Are you sure you removed all of it, specifically the stairs? Someone posted after you and they said their game crashed with the defaults & the hacked mailbox shelf in so I thought I'd mention it. Good luck. I hope you get it sorted soon.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 5:08 AM
Honeywell - yes, I removed the entire bespoke folder when I couldn't pinpoint the issue.

I've spent the evening restarting and testing and have found 3 specific files that cause this odd click-on-stair-menu crash. I still have more batches to test which also cause this particular style of crash.
The 3 specific files are from some curtain set, but the not-yet-whittled-down folders that also cause the crash don't contain objects from that creator.

Something still seemed strange with all these different files causing this specific issue, so once I had the three files that were definitely involved somehow, I decided to see if I could find some common thing they might all be clashing with, wondering if there was some root to it all.

So I popped the three evil curtains into my downloads folder and added my usual CC one portion at a time. Result: No crashes whatsoever.
Adding in the newer stuff that I'm still testing and it's crash-o-rama again.
BUT if I take out all my usual CC and leave in only the newer items, they work fine.
So there must be some clash. But it sure is hiding well.

The tests continue...