Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 3:51 PM Last edited by sigillumdiabolik : 25th Aug 2017 at 11:26 PM.
Default Having trouble making a playable world from CAW files
I love this spin on Isla Paradiso by Potato-ballad-sims.

I tried exporting it with this tutorial, and the world worked somewhat, but when zooming in, the terrain changed from the beautiful green to an awful muddy brown. I really don't know how to work CAW at all, except with very easy-to-follow step-by-step tutorials like the one above, so I have no idea how to fix this.

Could anyone help me out?
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 6:56 PM
Things to try:
1) Make sure all of your terrain paints and road textures are linked correctly- check that the path points to the texture file on your hard drive.
2) Clear the LocalWork folder:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441595
3) Delete the _KEY file from your world.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 7:54 PM Last edited by sigillumdiabolik : 25th Aug 2017 at 8:04 PM.
Hi! Thanks, I tried #2 and #3 (gonna test game now), but how do I do the first one?

edit: 2 and 3 didn't work
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 8:34 PM
For 1, make sure the paths in the roads and terrain paint dialog boxes are pointing to the correct locations.
http://simswiki.info/images/7/7c/CA...ainPainting.jpg
https://cawster.files.wordpress.com...tone-france.jpg
So, make sure all file paths are actually pointing to a texture.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
For 1, make sure the paths in the roads and terrain paint dialog boxes are pointing to the correct locations.
http://simswiki.info/images/7/7c/CA...ainPainting.jpg
https://cawster.files.wordpress.com...tone-france.jpg
So, make sure all file paths are actually pointing to a texture.

I'm sorry, I really appreciate it, but this is completely hebrew to me. I don't know how to specify how I don't understand these tips. I'm trying to get this view on my CAW, I think I have it right, but there's no changes to the rendering window, nothing happens.
dodgy builder
#6 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 10:03 PM
Sorry to ruin the party, but ... requests are not allowed on this site. I suggest you fix caw or find somewhere else for your requests
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Sorry to ruin the party, but ... requests are not allowed on this site. I suggest you fix caw or find somewhere else for your requests

Changed the title. Trying to make this work here. Thanks for your input though.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 11:48 PM Last edited by daisylee : 26th Aug 2017 at 12:16 AM.
CAW is complicated and takes a lot of work and a lot of time to learn to use it. Folks really cannot teach you to use it in a few posts. I have worked in CAW since it was released and done many worlds and still have questions and a ton to learn. Just out of total curiosity I just downloaded it. Let me see if I can export from CAW and if so what it looks like in my game.

Just because I am working on only 3 other worlds at the moment. LOL

edit: am installing the export now
The world looks different in CAW than his pics. Now a brown overall. Water was blue in CAW.

It looks fine in edit town but when you go to lot there is all the brown again instead of the green. Something is messed up with this world. I am not going to spend time on it though as don't plan to use it. Other than the brown it looks OK to me.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1...eH2EGbhlvAKJok2
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 1:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Just out of total curiosity I just downloaded it. Let me see if I can export from CAW and if so what it looks like in my game.
It looks fine in edit town but when you go to lot there is all the brown again instead of the green. Something is messed up with this world. I am not going to spend time on it though as don't plan to use it. Other than the brown it looks OK to me.

Thanks for looking into it! I very much appreciate it! But yeah, it seems to work fine otherwise, though a great part of that world is that lovely darker green I asked Potato about this world on Tumblr - if that gets the issue no further, I'm just gonna forget about it.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#10 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 9:43 AM
@sigillumdiabolik, what did you do with the "Isla Paradiso CAW Stuff" folder when you unrar/unzip the downloaded "Isla Paradiso CAW Files.rar" file? See rarfile-contents image

What @simsample's number(1) step is meant to say is that this path where you dump these folder must correspond to the path in the Paint layers tooltop - see image caw-paint-layer-tooltip. As you can see, in this image since I haven't made sure that the paths match in my system, some of the textures are that lovely brown mud.

I have yet to export the world and test it in-game, so I don't know how these mismatch of paths would result in how the installed world would show up in my gameplay.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
@sigillumdiabolik, what did you do with the "Isla Paradiso CAW Stuff" folder when you unrar/unzip the downloaded "Isla Paradiso CAW Files.rar" file? See rarfile-contents image

What @simsample's number(1) step is meant to say is that this path where you dump these folder must correspond to the path in the Paint layers tooltop - see image caw-paint-layer-tooltip. As you can see, in this image since I haven't made sure that the paths match in my system, some of the textures are that lovely brown mud.

I have yet to export the world and test it in-game, so I don't know how these mismatch of paths would result in how the installed world would show up in my gameplay.

I tried using those dds files from the CAW stuff folder as the terrain paints in CAW when trying to do what Simsample was suggesting. But, idk if it means anything, but nothing changed in the rendering view, I tried selecting one of those dds files to "paint" with and tried to draw something on the ground, but yeah nothing happened. I didn't save the world or try it in game after those "changes" because it looked like to me that nothing changed.

How did it look like in your game? Is there something wrong with the files like Daisylee said?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#12 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 6:27 AM Last edited by ellacharmed : 27th Aug 2017 at 7:28 AM.
You're not supposed to paint the world with them, step(1) is just you telling CAW where the DDS files are located on your machine. The .world file is currently looking for the files as they were in the World Creator's machine, and these paths are obviously not in the downloader's machine.

I'll see if I want to mess about with this further later by installing a screencapture-to-video software as I'm prepping my machine for CAW tutorials

ETA: found a video on how-to from years ago, thought it might help. https://youtu.be/CZUZ1Ty7Qhs