Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 5:53 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 21st Oct 2014 at 1:14 AM. Reason: Yay categories!
Default Making custom eyelashes/mascaras
Hello! I think sharing my way of making eyelashes and mascaras could be useful for people who want to make their own

I'll be going step by step but asuming you have knowledge of Photoshop.

Tools needed:

Adobe Photoshop or The GIMP (I'll be using Photoshop)
Sims 4 Studio

1. Open up Sims 4 Studio and choose the eyeliner that is selected in the picture:

2. Click 'export texture' and open the dll file in Photoshop

3. Go to the channels tag and select the alpha. Copy it to a new image.

4. Now zoom in. You should have this:

5. Draw the base shape you want for your eyelashes. This will be the part that will give the volume to the mascara.

6. Fill the shape you just draw.

7. Draw an arc of small dots (this will be the base for the lower lashes):

8. You should end up with something similar to this:

9. Now pick the smudge tool and start smudgind the dots.

10. Go alternating brush sizes and strenghts to give a more natural look.

11. Now draw some eyelashes coming from the shape you previously made.

12. Alternate the brush and the smudge tool, and different brush sizes and opacities.

13. Now clone the eye you just made and mirror it to get the second eye. Copy the image to the alpha of the original dll and save.

14. Go back to Sims 4 Studio again and import the new texture:

15. Save and copy to the Mods folder. Open TS4 to see your brand new eyelashes

In case you don't want it to appear in the eyeliner section, you just need to clone a different item (face paint, skin detail...) and import your texture.

I hope this was useful. Have fun!

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
1 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 4:19 PM
Thank you for this Vampire_aninyosaloh =D

If I want to make eyeshadows or lipsticks, is this the method I would use for those too?
(How does one add color options for those?)
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 7:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pentabet
Thank you for this Vampire_aninyosaloh =D

If I want to make eyeshadows or lipsticks, is this the method I would use for those too?
(How does one add color options for those?)

For eyeshadows and lipsticks you need to add a texture to the regular part of the dll (the part that is not the alpha). To add color options you need to click on the 'add swatch' button in S4S and import the different recolors of the texture you made

-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Test Subject
#4 Old 8th Oct 2014 at 5:58 PM
ugh I don't know what words to use.

Uh..

how do you know.. how far...... down? from the top line to make the dots??

why do you make the dots so close? why not far away? how do you know where the lashes will sit on the under eyelid

did any of that make sense?
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Oct 2014 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Desirai
ugh I don't know what words to use.

Uh..

how do you know.. how far...... down? from the top line to make the dots??

why do you make the dots so close? why not far away? how do you know where the lashes will sit on the under eyelid

did any of that make sense?

Use a base skin as a template to know where things are. If you use S4S clone the yfHead in the head category and you'll get the default skin texture. And the closeness between the eyelashes depends on your taste, you can make them as far apart as you want

-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Test Subject
#6 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 8:36 PM
I have Photoshop CS3 and cannot edit the texture.
What should I do?
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 7:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chelsea_fantasy
I have Photoshop CS3 and cannot edit the texture.
What should I do?

Photoshop CS3 should be able to open the texture. You just need to download a plugin for it to be able to open dds files: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia...adobe-photoshop

-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 29th Oct 2014 at 12:34 PM
love your eyelashes! I would love to have these as default, the Eaxis are HORRIBLE. I have been searching for a way to make them default but not having any luck. I thought maybe reading tutorials would give me a clue but it is eluding me. Do you know where a tutorial for that might be or be willing to make some defaults?
Test Subject
#9 Old 29th Oct 2014 at 5:39 PM
hello, thank you for this tutorial :D
I tried to make an eyeliner and I followed every step, but when I open it up in-game some parts are green.
It's like that in the studio as well.
any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Oct 2014 at 6:26 PM
@TayThePanda When you open the dds file you'll see everything green and some small parts in black. That's TS4 way of marking the part the alpha is affecting, somehow. Just paint all of it black and when you save the package in S4S it'll change the part not used by the alpha to green, but leaving the part you want black, black. I'm really bad explaining myself, sorry, I hope you understood. Just turn all the green into black

-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Test Subject
#11 Old 29th Oct 2014 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vampire_aninyosaloh
@TayThePanda When you open the dds file you'll see everything green and some small parts in black. That's TS4 way of marking the part the alpha is affecting, somehow. Just paint all of it black and when you save the package in S4S it'll change the part not used by the alpha to green, but leaving the part you want black, black. I'm really bad explaining myself, sorry, I hope you understood. Just turn all the green into black

oooh, I figured it would be something simple forgive me, I am a total noob to making CC.
thank you so much for explaining!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 8:30 AM
Thank you for sharing this, very helpful!
Test Subject
#13 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 8:40 PM
hello. i did every step in your tutorial as you wrote bu i have no clue why i end up with my lashes going white?
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nicol600
hello. i did every step in your tutorial as you wrote bu i have no clue why i end up with my lashes going white?

As I explained TayThePanda, when you open the dds file you'll see everything green (maybe white in your case for some reason) and some small parts in black. That's TS4 way of marking the part the alpha is affecting. Just paint all of it black and when you save the package in S4S it'll change the part not used by the alpha to green, but leaving the part you want black, black. Turn everything you see white in the dds into black.

-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Test Subject
#15 Old 15th Jan 2015 at 11:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vampire_aninyosaloh
As I explained TayThePanda, when you open the dds file you'll see everything green (maybe white in your case for some reason) and some small parts in black. That's TS4 way of marking the part the alpha is affecting. Just paint all of it black and when you save the package in S4S it'll change the part not used by the alpha to green, but leaving the part you want black, black. Turn everything you see white in the dds into black.

turns out the case was my background, it was white i colored it black and now it's all good. thank you!
Field Researcher
#16 Old 2nd Feb 2015 at 11:25 AM
Default create a sim image?
Hi Vampire_aninyosaloh, thank you for this tutorial. I have finally tweaked, out of long dormant Sims 2 modding, remembrance of how to edit and embed an operative alpha in Paint Shop Pro 7. Along with having some of your creations to play with - I am now happily making maxis recolours and changing the shape!

Please can I beg a bit of help with the .packages... In cas - your cosmetic creations appear with a large image that you have created yourself. It's not the swatch and it's not the thumbnail (I can't figure out how to insert the screenshot I took to explain). It's an image that appears in place of the maxis ones (it has your name, the creation name and a picture of the creation on a sim)... Do you know what I'm talking about? Question - what is it and how do you do it (sims 4 studio?)? Your packages have something, in the 'warehouse', that mine don't - a 'body part thumbnail' - so I am thinking this is it? I've tried to export yours, so I can check it out, but this makes s4s crash. I know these catalog images aren't essential for a working package but I'd like to get my recolours to be as complete as yours!

If it isn't too complicated to explain - please can you tell me how to get (into the .package) the image that shows up in cas.

.... I think I may have included the screenshot .
Screenshots
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 3rd Feb 2015 at 4:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Samekh
Hi Vampire_aninyosaloh, thank you for this tutorial. I have finally tweaked, out of long dormant Sims 2 modding, remembrance of how to edit and embed an operative alpha in Paint Shop Pro 7. Along with having some of your creations to play with - I am now happily making maxis recolours and changing the shape!

Please can I beg a bit of help with the .packages... In cas - your cosmetic creations appear with a large image that you have created yourself. It's not the swatch and it's not the thumbnail (I can't figure out how to insert the screenshot I took to explain). It's an image that appears in place of the maxis ones (it has your name, the creation name and a picture of the creation on a sim)... Do you know what I'm talking about? Question - what is it and how do you do it (sims 4 studio?)? Your packages have something, in the 'warehouse', that mine don't - a 'body part thumbnail' - so I am thinking this is it? I've tried to export yours, so I can check it out, but this makes s4s crash. I know these catalog images aren't essential for a working package but I'd like to get my recolours to be as complete as yours!

If it isn't too complicated to explain - please can you tell me how to get (into the .package) the image that shows up in cas.

.... I think I may have included the screenshot .

It's very easy, you only need to edit your package with S4PE once it's finished. Create a 104x148 jpg image with whatever you want as a thumbnail and import it to your package with the appropriate TGI:

Type: THUM 0x3C1AF1F2
Group: 0x00000002 for a female 'model', 0x00000102 for male
Instance: Same as the CASP

You will need to do that for every color or texture your creation has

-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Test Subject
#18 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 2:38 PM
Default thx
thx
Test Subject
#19 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 5:04 AM
This is not 3D eyelashes like maysims' or kijiko's, am i ryt?